Home charging point

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
If charging off your solar and not drawing from grid you should still be able to charge during peak hours though?

The legislation is that they should be pre-configured to off peak charging, but the user can change it to whatever they want. They also want a 10 minute deferment during off-peak charging time to negate grid surge.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
The legislation is that they should be pre-configured to off peak charging, but the user can change it to whatever they want. They also want a 10 minute deferment during off-peak charging time to negate grid surge.
Sounds more sensible as sometimes you have to charge in the middle of the day.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
We have access to supply a few EV chargers now, but this is the only one so far that looks pretty good.

1ECABA7A-307A-4899-B0F4-2D0658034E28.jpeg

655E894D-153C-43AC-AB35-D7124C6B0CD6.jpeg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
My Andersen seems to be only charging at 3.6Kw. Car has been in with Mini and had a software update but no joy. Andersen have sent a couple of hits to it but still the same outcome. 8 hours to charge instead of 4. Makes a quick top up impossible. Frustrating.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
My Andersen seems to be only charging at 3.6Kw. Car has been in with Mini and had a software update but no joy. Andersen have sent a couple of hits to it but still the same outcome. 8 hours to charge instead of 4. Makes a quick top up impossible. Frustrating.
Do you know anyone else with an EV that can plug in to check if it charges at 7?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Anyone seen any good deals recently? Wife's new ID4 was not due to July apparently but has been told it will now be arriving next week so I need to get a home charger organised pronto.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Bought a Sevadis Maxicharger in end, quite a small and neat unit and well reviewed, got it installed today. Not keen on having them on outside wall so got it mounted close to our garage door in the internal garage.

IMG_0015.jpeg

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
What I don't understand is that except for Anderson or whatever they turned into why do they all have to be brutally ugly? Surely not rocket science to design a small black box, bit of piano finish or brushed steel effect or something that doesn't look like a fisher price toy or an intercom from the 90s!?

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I don't mind the reel types. The cable needs stored somewhere at the end of the day and I'm not keen on trying to feed it into a slot on a fancy holder in sideways rain

Mind you it seems about 50/50 between folk that wrap them up neatly and plug the end into the holder and the folk that leave the cable tangled up like an old bit of rope strewn across their driveway.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Agreed I'm not getting soaked for that either and untethered is a bit of a pain. There has to be a better way though. If my podpoint was on the front of the house and not hidden behind a chimney breast it would do my head in. I've seen wall mounted garden hoses that look better ffs.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The ideal solution is wireless pads sunk into the driveway with a receiver on the bottom of the car. At least then there’s less of a chance of Mrs Coog saying she’s to be in Omagh in an hour and she has 12% battery.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Can you imagine it.

Park exactly here to charge. Look it tells you on the dash….

Car abandoned with dead battery.

hillbilly

RMS Regular
What's the going rate to supply and install a charger? I got a quote of £1500 for a basic untethered charger. Seems a bit high although it's a 1930s house and it needed an earth spike.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Think I paid about 1200 for a tethered Zappi.
What area are you in as the installer I used is a very decent chap based North Coast area but travels