Home charging point

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Being asked which type of charging point I should put at home with pod point: tethered or universal.

What's everyone using? Universal looks like it'll be future proof but need to dig the cable out every time I use it at home, whereas the tethered unit has cable on it but may only work with the car we've ordered. Is that right?

big cyril

RMS Regular
Tethered would def be less hassle although I’ve ordered a universal as the car is on a two year lease not sure what may replace it.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Wondering if we are still going through the VHS / Betamax phase for these, or has the manufacturers settled on a common charging interface. I'm thinking tethered might work best for us but it looks a bit messy.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is there no standard socket on the cars ?

You'd think that would have been a priority from the outset ? What way do the public charge points operate ?

big cyril

RMS Regular
There’s a few different ones @stevieturbo, public points with leads usually have a type 2 and chademo which covers most bases. Not sure what Tesla use. Some of the charging points have no lead so you use your own. TBH unless you’re v organised or have a point at work it’s just easier to charge at home, stick it on charge each time it’s parked and it’s always ready in the morning.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Tethered would be my suggestion. When we got the second EV it was a different charging connector. I just opened up the wall pod and replaced the whole lead to accomodate a change from type 2 to type 1 charger. The lead was £52 on ebay.

911c4s

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla :-)
I have a pod point. Their tethered option is type 1 or type 2 which is suitable for most cars. I went untethered to be safe for the future. often leave it coiled round charger. Type 2 for a tesla
1601917576445.png
20200610_1904251.jpg
20200610_190425.jpg

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Tethered is the way forward IMO. If it's pissing down the last thing you want is to be rooting around in the frunk for a cable. You get a much longer cable too meaning that parking needn't be as precise (handy for my wife who can abandon it almost anywhere inside the gate depending on her mood).

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I have a pod point. Their tethered option is type 1 or type 2 which is suitable for most cars. I went untethered to be safe for the future. often leave it coiled round charger. Type 2 for a tesla
View attachment 297861View attachment 297859View attachment 297860
pretty sure that should be in conduit and not just tacked onto your exterior wall.... looks too thin to be swa too which I couldn't see being used for this either. Even though it's EV use, it would still usually be practice to feed in from above as well. some of the fully qualified sparks advise?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
pretty sure that should be in conduit and not just tacked onto your exterior wall.... looks too thin to be swa too which I couldn't see being used for this either.
I have a 32A charger but you can get a 16A one too - perhaps that is why the cable is so thin. Either way I wouldnt want a normal 240v cable like that running down the wall and along the ground

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I have a 32A charger but you can get a 16A one too - perhaps that is why the cable is so thin. Either way I wouldnt want a normal 240v cable like that running down the wall and along the ground
cable out is obviously fine as its part of the unit but definitely shouldn't have 240v bare cable tacked onto a wall like that, or running right along the ground. If I read the spec right, its drawing 32a so it would need up to a 32amp mcb on the main board which would mean 8 or even 10mm T&E depending on length of cable (both of which would need to be inside a conduit).
Just questioning it because if someone was paid to do it, Id be getting them back to do it as per legal regulations for safety sake more than anything else. if it was a DIY job, I would still say it's worth getting a good electrician in to redo it but each to their own and a mans home is his castle and all that etc.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
cable out is obviously fine as its part of the unit
That wasnt the case with mine, as the electrician brought his own cable and connected inside the unit. There is a screwable plastic grommet on the bottom of this one too for inserting your own wire.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
That wasnt the case with mine, as the electrician brought his own cable and connected inside the unit. There is a screwable plastic grommet on the bottom of this one too for inserting your own wire.
I was just assuming that part, didn't think they would make you connect up your own cable. if that's the case, I would be crimping in some 100mm! get those amps in! (total overkill for the charging rate anyway but bigger the better )

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
pretty sure that should be in conduit and not just tacked onto your exterior wall.... looks too thin to be swa too which I couldn't see being used for this either. Even though it's EV use, it would still usually be practice to feed in from above as well. some of the fully qualified sparks advise?

Top entry would always be a last resort, as it would be the lest likely to remain waterproof.

Clipping cable direct to a wall is no issue, although clipped solely with non metallic clips or containment these days may not always comply with current regs.
Although the cable is unlikely to fall anywhere if they did ever melt in a fire lol.

Looking at the chargers online, the Podpoint seems to only say around 7kw, so wouldn't necessarily take a massive cable, so it is hopefully fine. And strictly speaking a Hituf type cable is probably ok, but SWA would certainly be preferred.
It's hardly in an area at high risk to someone damaging it, and say plastic conduit or similar would offer little protection anyway.

But after watching some stuff on Youtube recently about guys installing charging points....it is interesting and good that they do seem to monitor the actual supply mains to prevent overloading, which with some high power chargers could happen....with a single vehicle.

Which will be interesting if and when electric really does take over, and homes are then looking to charge multiple vehicles. Not a hope in hell will the incoming supplies be able to cope, nor the suppliers cables unless they step up the supply voltage to compensate.

And either that or larger supply cables....would be a mammoth undertaking.

Last edited:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Im just thinking of current draw etc on domestic mains and know that I can pop the 20amp mcb turning a welder on or compressor (they're B type and should really change them to C type on of these days ) .
And anything over 2-2.5kw would struggle on 2.5mm over long runs above a couple of metres. I was fairly sure the regs say that cable would need to be in conduit unless swa? Running a bare live cable right along the ground just makes the toes curl a bit. Far too much exposure to damage there
This is just for my own information sake at this point to the OP, interesting where it falls inline with normal guidance etc.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Can't see any other way of charging the car other than having a cable running from the house to the charging port. Unless you start digging up driveways and installing posts. The tethered cable is 7.5m long, which I guess potentially creates its own problems.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Can't see any other way of charging the car other than having a cable running from the house to the charging port. Unless you start digging up driveways and installing posts. The tethered cable is 7.5m long.
I agree but just thought surely a few feet above absolute ground level would have been a bit more sensible was all and inside a bit of plastic conduit. ah well, as per previous post, each to their own etc. :-#

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I agree but just thought surely a few feet above absolute ground level would have been a bit more sensible was all and inside a bit of plastic conduit. ah well, as per previous post, each to their own etc. :-#

So run the cable 3ft above ground to the plug on the car?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
As far as know the cable used for these runs to chargers is armoured, it's either 3 x 4mm2 or 6 mm2 and has a screened data cable inside as well. They run it where the wall meets the ground because it cant sag or be pulled downwards. It's got more natural protection tight in the corner than 3ft up a wall.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
So run the cable 3ft above ground to the plug on the car?
I just thought the same reg's applied that apply for running power to a shed or out to driveway lights etc. There's clearly a gap in my knowledge about these pods and their charging systems. My thinking was just being sensible keeping a permanently installed cable well above the ground when its so openly exposed.
just a quick scan of my up to date 18th edition and thought something like this would apply. I'm no authority, hence I'm actually asking does someone know for sure. its an interesting situation for people considering this stuff going forward. pretty sure I saw they are offering specific training/certification for installing this stuff for sparks.
Untitled.jpg

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I just thought the same reg's applied that apply for running power to a shed or out to driveway lights etc. There's clearly a gap in my knowledge about these pods and their charging systems. My thinking was just being sensible keeping a permanently installed cable well above the ground when its so openly exposed.
just a quick scan of my up to date 18th edition and thought something like this would apply. I'm no authority, hence I'm actually asking does someone know for sure. its an interesting situation for people considering this stuff going forward. pretty sure I saw they are offering specific training/certification for installing this stuff for sparks.
View attachment 297931

In theory the cable should be tidied away after use, so it's only going to be on the ground for the time it's required. Maybe that's the difference? I suppose in theory you could leave it trailing the ground, but as far as I'm aware it's not live until it's connected to the car.

Think we'll need to be mindful as to where the EV is parked and location of charge point to minimise traffic over the top of the cable.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
In theory the cable should be tidied away after use, so it's only going to be on the ground for the time it's required. Maybe that's the difference? I suppose in theory you could leave it trailing the ground, but as far as I'm aware it's not live until it's connected to the car.

Think we'll need to be mindful as to where the EV is parked and location of charge point to minimise traffic over the top of the cable.
Im still referring to the cable that in the above (and other installations) seems to be routinely tacked to the wall right at ground level, not the actual cable coming from the pod itself to the car. The one on the ground would always be live 240v . maybe alls well, if the time comes for me to have one installed, it will be in conduit and well up off the ground either way.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Im still referring to the cable that in the above (and other installations) seems to be routinely tacked to the wall right at ground level, not the actual cable coming from the pod itself to the car. The one on the ground would always be live 240v . maybe alls well, if the time comes for me to have one installed, it will be in conduit and well up off the ground either way.

Ah yes every install I've seen so far (apart from above) has that cable in conduit.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I wouldn’t want a cable lying on the ground like that knowing that it’s permanently live.
The cable to the car in some cases carries 440v, but it’s designed for this purpose, to be lying on ground etc