Home charging point

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Get the EasyGO dongle for Lidl charging and using down south too.

I primarily charge at home now. Tbh going to a petrol station for the other cars seems a right faff now.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I agree; put £60 into the mk2 Golf last week and was thinking that would do me months in the EGolf because of charging from the solar panels at this time of year.

Marc

RMS Moderator
I have not even installed a charger in my house yet, and I’m 11k miles in with no hassle at all charging, thankfully near my work we have 2charge points/4 individual charging plugs. This is one of the reasons it appealed to me.
So it works for some people.

Last edited:

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
A year of having an ipace and I mainly charge at home just for convenience. Just bought a Tesla model 3 for the wife too. Not even going for the long range, 250 or whatever standard is is plenty for us 364 days a year, and on that one long trip it'll get supercharged somewhere for 30 mins and I'll keep the 6 grand change.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
It all depends on the type of driving you do. My E Golf only does 115 - 160 usable miles depending on the time of year but this will take me to over 95% of the places I need to go in NI. I mostly charge at home but if going on longer trips always have a plan A, B & C just in case re. charging.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Yeh.... I went down and test drove both SR and LR and ended up manning up and going for the dual motor long range and I'm probably going to go for the optional performance boost too (I have no rational explanation for why other than want) ... Absolutely comical acceleration for a 5 seat family car. It "feels" like it would smoke some seriously heavy machinery.

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Mate of mine had a Model S P100D for a bit. Comical how quick it was in ludicrous mode.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I had a drive today in a Kona Electric and even it seemed to go really well. All instant power so I can only imagine how quick a Tesla feels.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Does anyone know if these could be mounted free standing?

The apartment I’ve just bought is grade 2 listed and the tenant is asking if they could install a charging point.

Obv the management company would all need to agree also.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
you can buy posts for mounting them on, although obviously then they'd need fixed to the ground. Is wiring routing an issue for being listed ?

I guess the charger could be concealed within some sort of period looking enclosure ?

Or inside and chuck the cable out the window lol

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
you can buy posts for mounting them on, although obviously then they'd need fixed to the ground. Is wiring routing an issue for being listed ?

I guess the charger could be concealed within some sort of period looking enclosure ?

Or inside and chuck the cable out the window lol

I’m going to ring planning in the morning but NIE cables are lashed all around the outside so I can’t see why one more would hurt.

With it being an apartment (converted) the main board is at the back in a shared hall so the cable would need to go around the outside of the building.
Another though, there is like a covered basement at the front, the cable could come up there as it has a large crate for all the guttering

Do you need to get at the actual unit all the time or do you just need the end of the cable to plug into the car?

If as above the unit was below it would be hard/hassle to access daily

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think you just need to get access to the cable itself, largely they seem to be operated via apps now

That guy on youtube Artisan electrics covers a lot of different types and installs. Given the push for electric it'd be a **** move for them not to allow fitment

I presume each flat has their own independent electric supply ? The charger would need to come from there obviously.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I think you just need to get access to the cable itself, largely they seem to be operated via apps now

That guy on youtube Artisan electrics covers a lot of different types and installs. Given the push for electric it'd be a **** move for them not to allow fitment

I presume each flat has their own independent electric supply ? The charger would need to come from there obviously.

Yeah all own supply/meter etc including a landlord supply for hallway etc

I agree it’s inevitable that we will all need electric charging points 😩

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Any recommendations for installer in East Antrim area and/or what charger to go for? Considering a Model 3 at the moment.

No solar so just a basic charger I think I would need? Ideally something that's not 8+ weeks lead time as lead time for car is quite short.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Any recommendations for installer in East Antrim area and/or what charger to go for? Considering a Model 3 at the moment.

No solar so just a basic charger I think I would need? Ideally something that's not 8+ weeks lead time as lead time for car is quite short.

Yesss electrical stock the pod point ones

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I've just ordered a couple for work through System Automation Monitoring in Lurgan, they're a good reputation and were great to deal with so far. We got our last ones through Baird Electrical but gave up on him in the end, not interested.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Word of warning for anyone who has an EV charging point switch / surge protector installed in their meter box:

I have recently switched from Budget Energy to Power NI to avail of their Nightshift tariff.

An engineer came out today from NIE to change the meter from the standard one to the Economy 7 meter and he refused to fit it as the switch / surger protector was installed in the meter box.

I called Design Electrical (Duncrue) who installed the point to ask what the craic was and apparently this is becoming a common problem as NIE are attempting to claim territory in the meter enclosure. I listened to what they had to say and asked when they could come out to rectify the problem. They said that since there was no such regulation in place when the charging point was installed it's not their problem but they could come out and install a separate enclosure at my cost.

Ready for knocking someone out.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Word of warning for anyone who has an EV charging point switch / surge protector installed in their meter box:

I have recently switched from Budget Energy to Power NI to avail of their Nightshift tariff.

An engineer came out today from NIE to change the meter from the standard one to the Economy 7 meter and he refused to fit it as the switch / surger protector was installed in the meter box.

I called Design Electrical (Duncrue) who installed the point to ask what the craic was and apparently this is becoming a common problem as NIE are attempting to claim territory in the meter enclosure. I listened to what they had to say and asked when they could come out to rectify the problem. They said that since there was no such regulation in place when the charging point was installed it's not their problem but they could come out and install a separate enclosure at my cost.

Ready for knocking someone out.

When you say surge protector in the meter box? What do you mean? You have the main NIE fuse and then the meter. After that its none of NIE business as the consumer unit or anything after the meter doesnt concern them.

The podpoint charger uses a simple clip on clamp on the incoming live tail between the main fuse and the meter which would avoid any issues.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
When you say surge protector in the meter box? What do you mean? You have the main NIE fuse and then the meter. After that its none of NIE business as the consumer unit or anything after the meter doesnt concern them.

The podpoint charger uses a simple clip on clamp on the incoming live tail between the main fuse and the meter which would avoid any issues.
There was an option of having the EO mini installed with or without an SPD so I assume this will only apply to those who have an SPD fitted.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I still can’t see why that’s any of NIE’s business after the tails come out of the meter though?
Apparently it's becoming a widespread issue.
NIE just being dicks by the sound of it.
They are claiming that the enclosure is property of NIE and only their equipment should be contained within.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
E1D25725-E94D-48BA-AD7C-1B673BB6B2B3.jpeg