Honda CRV 2.2 diesel (07-12) opinions and experiences, please

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BRivtec

RMS Regular
Drives
DOHC VTEC
Thinking of getting one, in the summer, prob 08-09 with 2.2 Diesel engine and 4x4. I've no experience at all with any diesel Honda engines.
Any owners on here care to share their own views etc? Are they worth buying? Major problems? Gearbox problems?

Thanks

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
hi

we have a 12 cr-v i-dtec in ex guise. just have it over a year now. bought with around 18k on it and just out of HUK warranty.
doing my own service schedules ... huk state 12.5k but anyone with a diesel recommends shorter intervals so i am doin one every 6k
they use the dear stuff when comes to oil - 0-30 stuff ... takes 6 litres when replacing the filter
main things to look for is the active diff with 4x4 mode. make sure the oil in here (has to be honda stuff) has been changed regularly. NB HUK do not state this but there has been evidence of problems when not serviced periodically
fluid change is recommended circa every 20k ... i will likely do mine every 2nd service. what to look out for is clunking when engaging in reverse and what not
you do know that 4x4 is not permanent and also an auto function ... hence the active diff ... ecu will engage when it notices a difference in traction between front and rear wheels
Honda build's their own diesel lumps ... when they 1st entered scene they used isuzu blocks
08-09 you likely are looking at i-cdi engines and not i-dtec ... the latter having a DPF unit installed
if maintained servicing wise there should be no real issues with the honda unit. like all honda's keep an eye on oil levels.
they are timing chains so check if tensioners have been replaced based on mileage
squeaky clutch happens ... not a problem but just annoying
re gearbox some owners have expierenced a 'notchy gear change between 1st and 2nd ... so far with my own no real issues but again wise to do an oil change using honda mtf every so often. im up to over 30k miles now and no issues on my own. the main gripes are with dpf's with those having high milers etc. but this is the normal amongst the modern diesel user. honda is no different from this piece of eu legislation

in terms of living with its a decent cruiser, the wife loves it. great for getting baby in and out ... no bending over etc. also step in step out. decent cabin space, seats can be configured anyway you want them.
good load lugger, can get plenty of stuff in there again even more when you configure seats etc

drive wise its a decent capable cruiser ... very refined. it has a car ride feel but obviously there is a bit more body roll when goin pace into a corner but very capable to drive and push on
heavy car though ... about 1800kg. your mpg will be 40's and above ... albeit slightly more if doing a big cruise etc. good servicing and keeping and eye on tyre pressures will keep mpg high
plenty of torque and pull well. i will be looking at a map in due course. some great gains to be had with a sensible map.

thats about it ... in terms of trim to go for imho EX spec is the best to go for. has a decent set of toys and all you need for this vehicle.

hope this helps

any more questions sure PM me amd if you fancy a run or good look round one gimme a shout after your test drive if required

PAULW

RMS Regular
@nobby covered a lot there.

04 - 10 is a 2.2 i-CTDI. I've an 07 that i've up to 122k on now. Superb car, very reliable, however the oil change issue is unbelievably important. They need 0w30, not 5w30 or 5w40, as per the guy in the motorfactors will give you (he'll look at his "computer" and it'll be wrong). So I would say that when buying, either it needs full honda main dealer history or you'll need to question the owner, if they don't know what went in, it was likely the wrong stuff. Wrong oil = replacement timing chain and it's expensive, i gave about 1400 for mine to be replaced.

Other than that, anti roll bar bushes, drop links, clutches and flywheels are the common problem. Mpg is 39-41 (if used in town, i'd say 35, A roads at 60 can get 43, motorway is 39). Won't do more than that MPG wise but it's the best 4x4 on diesel by far. The diff stuff mentioned above is nothing to fear, change the fluid once every 30k and it'll be grand (my last one is still in the family with 180k on it and is still going fine).

IMO best quality jeep there is, other than a landcruiser.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
thanks for the above response @P2ULW ... good advice there
yup ... the right oil is fundamental ... do not scrimp or choose alternatives. some honda dealers have been found out using lesser oils and outcomes are not good. the Castrol edge/titanium is the ticket

re the diff fluid it has been flagged as being important and should be changed pending on miles most people do it every 20 or 30k if they know to do it, but NOT all owners will know this or do the change! i will do mine every 20 or so as stated above

without being funny it is a Honda afterall and has been built to a high standard (even in Swindon) but it requires decent servicing and history; again as said before this is no different to any other 4x4 you may wish to look at.

I tried a few SUV's and they all have their negatives and issues but I plumped for the Honda. a. cause i got a cracking deal b. better the devil you know and it is a very nice car to drive and has decent kit as std that a lot of competition simply does not offer unless specced when new

BRivtec

RMS Regular
OP
BRivtec
Drives
DOHC VTEC
I couldn't have asked for better information from Honda themselves, thanks lads.

Nobby, it's the EX model i will only buy, it's a toss up between the crv or an EX accord/type s (08-10) I'll assume they all run the same 2.2 lumps, with the civic as well? I've always liked the idea of a SUV though.

I didn't know it wasn't a permanent 4x4. So, in theory, you could drive around forever 2x4, providing you have good traction? Is there an indication on the dash when it's in 4x4 mode?

As for servicing, I service all my cars, twice a year, wether they've done 10 or 10,000 miles and every new car I buy. It's good to know about the diff and correct oil grade.
I'll be getting one without the DPF as they seem to cause hassle on all makes and models.

PAULW

RMS Regular
There's no indication that it's in 4wd but you will feel it once you're used to driving it. The 08-10 accord will be a DTEC and therefore have a DPF. All 2.2s in the honda's are the same. The only difference is the CTDI vs the DTEC, the DTEC is newer, 1-2 mpg more but with a DPF.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
EX is the right choice!
Like you I was contemplating an accord estate but always fancied an SUV at some point in my life so when the right car at the right money came along it felt like this was the way to go. No regrets and a nice change to drive when using it.

As stated no info to let you know when in awd mode but you will feel it. Have engaged it a couple of times whilst off road. Hoping to get to the next rms off road day as I missed the last one due to feeling unwell.

Good servicing is key so twice a year is pretty much my plan as well.

Might be wise going non I-dtec but with good servicing I hope to keep issues to a minimum. Best of luck with your search and keep us posted on your choice

I couldn't have asked for better information from Honda themselves, thanks lads.

Nobby, it's the EX model i will only buy, it's a toss up between the crv or an EX accord/type s (08-10) I'll assume they all run the same 2.2 lumps, with the civic as well? I've always liked the idea of a SUV though.

I didn't know it wasn't a permanent 4x4. So, in theory, you could drive around forever 2x4, providing you have good traction? Is there an indication on the dash when it's in 4x4 mode?

As for servicing, I service all my cars, twice a year, wether they've done 10 or 10,000 miles and every new car I buy. It's good to know about the diff and correct oil grade.
I'll be getting one without the DPF as they seem to cause hassle on all makes and models.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
@BRivtec did you ever get one? an 07/08 model is on my potential list too and on paper they seem fantastic.

Whats the space like in them? We had a Tiguan before and it was smaller than a Golf.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
space is decent, as stated above the seats provide a lot of adjustments etc.
we get by with ours ... doing a few runs to charity shops and local waste disposal and you can haul a lot of stuff when doin that
the newer models offer better space but the gen 3 models are dead on ... IMHO

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
I have an 08, it has been utterly reliable. I got the local mechanic to do the oils and filters, using the heavy oil. 4x4 function has come in handy the odd time in ice and snow, i've also had her through a quarry in water deep enough to set off the parking sensors :laughing:

I get 35-36 mpg but it's mostly motorway driving and can be "spirited" if I'm running late. Holds the road well for a jeep, plenty of space in the boot and although the 3 kids seats fit in the back, it's tight to get seatbelts on sometimes.

I've had the five of us, 5 bikes and a weeks worth of food and clothing without too much hassle. With the back seats down there's loads of space for bigger items and the boot lid lifts up so you can sit or stand under it in the rain should you need to.

Mine has coming up on 80k miles, major service with Honda is about £350, £250 or so with an indy. Oil and filters with a set of brake pads cost me £150 last time. Tyres, £70 upwards per corner. I don't keep a track of how often they're changed mileage wise, about a year and a half I reckon for fronts. Bit longer for backs.

Comfy on long runs, flat floor in the back so reasonable amount of room for adults too.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
What model is yours? Not planning on changing any time soon per chance?

Not planning to change just yet thanks but if that changes I'll let you know. I think mines the ES, no sat nav or leather but does have cruise control.

My brother has same as me, 07, 110k, no issues with it apart from a dodgy parking sensor. Tenner to replace them apparently.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
forgot to say my rear parking sensor has just went ... replacements can be sought cheap. genuine one from Honda is a farce!

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
The parking sensors messed up on both my wife's crvs. Hers has 76000 with no issues but always use the 0-30 oil in it as said above.

pheunos

RMS Regular
My wife has an 08 and it's a brilliant car. My dad has had one from new too. All great info here, but just to be pedantic the 4wd isn't engaged electronically, it's a hydro-mechanical system.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Have two petrols 05 and 2013. Love them, found an 07 cdti ex for a neighbour last week and he loves it. The 05 is auto, returns 25mog, the 2013 is manual and returns 28 mpg. The 05's parking sensor is the tow bar

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.