Honda Hornet 600

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Hi all, im sure most will have already seen this before but wanted a thread for myself to keep track of my ownership.

This last while id wanted to get back into bikes after having afew motocross bikes when i was younger so decided i wanted to do the DAS and get my test.

I had been looking Honda Rebels as my brother had one and i liked the idea of one for starting off but then came to decision i wanted a naked 600 of some sort.

Spotted this when @ALN posted that he had bought it last year and loved how clean it was & that Hornets/Bandits are good first bikes so thought it would be great if i could buy it off him at some point.
A couple of messages were exchanged and we made a deal.
I was in middle of a house move so took about 2 months for me to collect it as had to get the new shed built for storing it.

Have to say for my first "big" road bike the Hornet is perfect for me for what i want, just does everything i need, also i didnt want finance and nothing too new as it would be more for starting me off again but have to say i do love it.

Literally just turned 10k miles yesterday and i cant fault it with how well its been cared for by previous owners with how still having both keys, original toolkit etc.
Ive been collecting some bits for it although il be keeping it pretty standard, Fitted a new Yussa battery.
Got some tinted indicator lens with orange bulbs.
Bought a puncture repair kit just to be safe.
Treated it to a good clean over Christmas then some ACF50 to protect it.
Hope to be out on it as much as possible in the coming months.
Racked up 120mile yesterday and enjoyed every mile!
20220123_101905.jpg

20220123_095622.jpg

20220119_194149.jpg

20220121_160050.jpg

Will try update the thread as i go along!
Excuse the garden, new build house and waiting on builder doing the garden lol.
20220121_160013.jpg

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
That looks very clean and tidy for its age :cool:
Cheers, It really is spotless, looked at a couple of younger bikes before viewing the Hornet and none were as clean for the budget id set myself and it fits me perfect.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
This is first big bike I was on the back off and it converted me.

I went and done my test afterwards and bought an r6 etc

Missing the fun with bikes, the hornets are a great bike!

Enjoy

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Having seen that bike last summer, its absolutely immaculate. Had an identical one myself years back as my 1st big cc bike. Mine developed a fault with the clocks so I converted it to a digital dash and street fighter style front end.

(But now I'm older and wiser..... I should have repaired it and kept it OE!)

19536080970_7b45fab0ad_k.jpg

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Thanks for the comments folks, really happy with it and i intend to keep it as good as the previous owners have!

I know there are more modern/faster bikes but ive always been a fan of Hornets and this suits me well plus it goes rightly too 😜

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Glad to see you’re getting use of it @domo gti and it’s good to know it will continue to be cared for. Has to be one of the cleanest, if not the cleanest in the country! It really screams too when you get it up the rev range!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Glad to see you’re getting use of it @domo gti and it’s good to know it will continue to be cared for. Has to be one of the cleanest, if not the cleanest in the country! It really screams too when you get it up the rev range!
Its such a nice bike to look at as everything still looks so fresh on it which is down to you and the other owners so il be doing the same!

i will have to get down to you and get the flyscreen off you before i totally forget about it!

Will have to get a RMS coffee morning organised soon with hopefully the drier days starting to appear!

Reactions: ALN

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Class, health to ride! Real comfy do everything bikes, and that's a real clean one! My mates dad owned it before @ALN and i know he never rode it much at all.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Class, health to ride! Real comfy do everything bikes, and that's a real clean one! My mates dad owned it before @ALN and i know he never rode it much at all.
Cheers @gav525 thats nice to hear you know one of the other owners, its definitely a low miler for its age but i do plan to add as many miles as possible this year 😀 👍

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Im a big fan of OEM so wanted to get an original Honda oil filter for the bike.
Now the oil/oil filter didnt need changed as it was only serviced around 600mile ago but thought id do it anyway.

So called into Honda for a new oil filter, sump washer and Coolant, also fitted the new NGK spark plugs that were supplied by Allan.
Got all work done and its running like a dream!
Meant to be out for a coffee run in the morning although its to be abit windy.
20220114_160458.jpg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
At that age if it’s never been done I would recommend a carb balance. Made a considerable difference to throttle pick up and smoothed the idle out on my Hornet. Handy enough job for DIY if you can get a hold of a vacuum tool, I use a Morgan Carbtune myself.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
At that age if it’s never been done I would recommend a carb balance. Made a considerable difference to throttle pick up and smoothed the idle out on my Hornet. Handy enough job for DIY if you can get a hold of a vacuum tool, I use a Morgan Carbtune myself.
Cheers @mikey im going to look at the carbs at some stage as theyre on my list to check but bike is idling great and throttle is very smooth although it would be nice to do a carb balance just so i know its running 100%

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Got out for an hour on the bike at end of last week and took in a couple of laps up at Dundrod as its literally 5mins from the house.
20220130_114720.jpg

I had spotted that there was a plug repair done in the rear tyre, i know they are legal/safe but i am just not a fan of them so went and got a new rear Michelin Pilot Road 4 from Hursts.
Very easy dealing with them i have to say, a real sound older fella came out to the car to take the wheel and said to wait he would do it there and then.
All sorted and i was away in 15mins, now im just waiting for the roads to dry, weather is great but roads are still abit damp/mucky but i should be out tomorrow.
20220208_173340.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice bike, looks very clean.

I was always originally a fan of supersports bikes, still am despite my cafe racers, but I reckon if I wanted another bike I'd rather have something more comfy and useable like a hornet. I just get distracted by how sexy the full on sports bikes look. I think a hornet makes more sense.

Can't wait to get the BM out soon.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
PR4 is a great tyre and they wear well too, in my experience. Bike looks so clean BTW.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Thanks for the kind words @Apis & @EF Ian , i have to say i do really love the bike for my first 600, got about 750mile done over the last month or so as im out any time its dry plus the bro in law has a place in Cushendun so ive been up and down the coast road to his.

Definitely fancy a 600RR some time, maybe next year but for this summer il stick with the Hornet.

Treated the bike to a new pipe aswell as sure why not 😊
20220208_211417.jpg

Also bought a full set of GoodRidge Braided Hoses, nice difference in the feel of the brakes after fitting.
20220212_181415.jpg

Lee

RMS Regular
Loving the new pipe! Should maybe try to keep the Hornet seeing as it's such a good example and try out a Sportsbike along side it.

Nothing comes close to the Sportsbike for carving up empty roads across the border, but for the rest of the time, a bit of comfort is good!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Loving the new pipe! Should maybe try to keep the Hornet seeing as it's such a good example and try out a Sportsbike along side it.

Nothing comes close to the Sportsbike for carving up empty roads across the border, but for the rest of the time, a bit of comfort is good!

Cheers lee, the pipe is such a great fit and really light compared to the original exhaust so a good bit of weight saving too!

Think id keep the Hornet alongside a sportsbike as you say, just need to see if i can sneak one into the shed😂

The Hornet suits me great for cruising about on, maybe not the most exciting bike for most but does everything i need and once over 8k revs its some craic!

Reactions: Lee

Lee

RMS Regular
Cheers lee, the pipe is such a great fit and really light compared to the original exhaust so a good bit of weight saving too!

Think id keep the Hornet alongside a sportsbike as you say, just need to see if i can sneak one into the shed😂

The Hornet suits me great for cruising about on, maybe not the most exciting bike for most but does everything i need and once over 8k revs its some craic!

Yeah 100hp is plenty! My first bike was around that and was actually perfect for the road I thought. Although a Fireblade would look good in beside it. You don't have to use the extra 70 horses unless you want to 😆

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Nice pipe

You might find the hornet more useable than an RR, the comfort can be nice if you prefer longer trips.