Honda S800 Coupe

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PoddyM

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
I got this project car at the end of September 2015 and thought I'd finally post up a thread documenting the build.
It's a Honda S800 Coupe (1968 I believe).

I always liked the S800 for both it's looks and it's punchy, robust little engine, with insanely high red line (10,000RPM).

This car came up for sale locally and although there was a lot of work in it, I was extremely impressed with the overall condition of the shell. Most suffer badly from rust but this car had been parked up in a bone dry barn for around 20 years and apart from some slight surface rust, it was solid as a result.

The owner intended on restoring the car and he completely stripped it bare but the project was soon abandoned and it sat virtually untouched, surrounded by boxes full of all it's bits and pieces (none of which are labelled :scream:), until I bought it. Almost all the bits are there with the exception of the exhaust and a few other small bits that I should be able to pick up.

I've left the car with a local bodyshop to have it painted in its original colour (NH-17M - Silver).
Once it's painted I intend on doing the rest of the work myself, including rebuilding the engine and putting it all back together again. I hope to have it on the road by the end of summer 2016, though this will depend on when the bodyshop give it back to me.

I'll try to keep this thread updated as it progresses.

Last edited:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That is a brilliant project, such class wee cars!

How easy is it to get parts for them, do they share parts with any other Hondas of that era?

PoddyM

RMS Regular
OP
PoddyM
Drives
GT86
Parts are getting quite hard to get tbh. There used to be motorbike dealer in England that had a large stockpile of various OEM bits but sadly he's passed away and I believe an owners club in Europe bought the remaining parts he had. There's a guy in Germany that stocks non-OEM replacement parts, a few Americans who stock bits and then just whatever you can pick up from Japan or the UK owners club.
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't share many bits with other older Honda models.

Last edited:

Andy55

RMS Regular
That's a great project!
Never seen one of these on the road. What engine is in them that will rev to 10k?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Had never even heard of such a car, looks a cool shape and what a project.

Subscribed.

Last edited:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Fantastic! Likewise, never heard of it. @PeteMoore will love this!

AS800C_l.jpg

PoddyM

RMS Regular
OP
PoddyM
Drives
GT86

PoddyM

RMS Regular
OP
PoddyM
Drives
GT86
Started to clean up some bits.
Here are the seats with 20+ years of barn dust on them.

And here is a before and after the soap and water...

I also started to take the engine apart to inspect the internals. So far, all is good.

Last edited:

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Great wee car. There used to be two of these doing the local shows...a red one and a silver one.
I'm going to bet when you inspect that engine, you'll find very little wrong with it.
Chain tensioner maybe worth a look though.

schoolboy

RMS Regular
Saw a red one of these last month out on the roads. Needed a bit of tlc but still looked pretty cool!

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Amazing! This will be a hell of a thread to keep an eye on. (y)

Hell of a project, fair play. Looking forward to seeing it being piced together!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.