Hose reel from an Alloy wheel?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Anyone ever done this before?

Ive a spare Rays wheel from when I had the 350z sitting in the Garden doing nothing so had a brain wave of coverting it into a hose reel.

However im not the most mechanically minded person ever so struggling to get an image in my head of how it would work lol Any help would be great.

Thanks, Chris

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
make your life infinitely easier and mount it on an old hub or bearing of some description so you can reel it out and in rather than unwrap and re wrap it

ChrisL

RMS Regular
OP
ChrisL
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
make your life infinitely easier and mount it on an old hub or bearing of some description so you can reel it out and in rather than unwrap and re wrap it

Yea seems like a good idea plus I can use the wheel nuts, mentions something similar in the link posted above

ChrisL

RMS Regular
OP
ChrisL
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I might need to get a slight bend in the lip taken out of mine ... bit of heat and a hammer hopefully should sort it lol

ChrisL

RMS Regular
OP
ChrisL
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Pretty much what im after

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Complete pain in the ass though, what about a handle? The wheel being parallel to the wall wouldn't be ideal either.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
OP
ChrisL
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
I'd love to see under that to see how the hose comes out to attach to the tap.

Looks like hole maybe drilled in the bottom of the rim and then on to the tap.

Tidy install tho.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
The oul fella used one of my old steelies and mounted it back to front straight to the wall, does a great job and can throw stuff into the dish.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I have a small Bedford Rascal wheel mounted on the inside door of the shed to wrap my air line hose around. Does the job lovely.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
is it not just wound round the rim

It looks to be, yeah.

You'd be better off getting the likes of a Hozelock reel and studying it for a while, or else just converting it to take the rim.

Either way, you need a centre feed on freely rotating/spinning fitting to allow it to work properly. I done this a few years ago and it worked a treat.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Bump up. Anyone any idea on easy mounting solutions for an alloy to brick wall.

Gavlfc96

RMS Regular
Drives
Ek4/fr ibiza
If you get the hub Chris ill sort a base plate for it and weld it on I'll even throw in an sds drill and bolts

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Pretty much what im after

Wrapping the hose like that is a PITA unless that one really is piped up properly and can spin without getting in a tangle.
Far easier just to hang the hose in big long loops over a fixed wheel and then lift off whatever length you need.

smb1

RMS Regular
Drives
golf gti
ive never unerstood this set up ,looks crap,why not just buy one,only a few quid

Cro

RMS Regular
@Ben P i just made up a couple of hooks identical to the display hooks you can buy on eBay etc

upload_2018-10-11_21-33-43.jpeg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.