RMS Regular
Drives
mk6 golf gti
Looking at 300ish hp hot hatches
Audi s3
VW golf r
Renault megane rs
Honda civic type r

So far driven an s3 and liked it a lot. What would the pros and cons of them all be?

MarkM

RMS Regular
Really depends on budget but agree, Megane or Civic, really loved my A45 too but the dealership and Merc UK experience is woeful
M135/140i would be hard to look past

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
S3 will always hold its price well and will always have a huge market if thats in your thinking to

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
R is quick and comes with plenty of spec as standard however I found it a bit boring.

M140i would be a good shout. They go well and sound great.

kippermoon

RMS Regular
Drives
mk3 rs/impreza r
a friend recently bought a 2016 type r tuned to about 400 bhp,it's a really fun car.i don't know what the std car is like but a modded one is mental.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
For me would have to be an fk8 type r if the budget stretches.

Id a standard 2015 type r, put alot of miles on it, mentally capable, endless grip and so much punch in the right part of the rev range, is a bit laggy compared to a golf r but u just get used to it and work round it, not an awful lot will get away from it within reason, probably cover ground quicker than my cayman s tbh, feels pretty race car like, ride is quite crashy over rough ground at slow speeds but never really bothered me, bit hairy in the wet easily spin up in 3rd, and does eat tyres, seats are lovely, screen and that a bit behind the best but did everything it was needed to do and i quite liked the real jap look to it, but if ur a bit shorter u have to have the seat quite pumped up to see the speedo lol exterior looks not for everyone but i love them, over about 30k miles i got 32mpg and that was not trying at all really which i think is very gd, loads of room easily 4 adults and 2 suitcases. Sound standard isn’t great i put a tegiwa b pipe on and it improved it massively. Brakes are mega tbf.

But beware mine blew the head in a pretty big way, the guy i got to fix it said he’s never seen a more inadequate gasket, they were uprated for the fk8 along with a number of other items, and quite a few higher miles standard or tuned lower miles have done similar if u look on the fb groups and forums, i also had to have the timing chain, tensioner and clutch replaced at 70k. Having said all of that I would own another in a heart beat, but think id go for the fk8, it’s basically the same but improved in many ways including the fail points in the engine and actually a few people have had gearbox trouble as well, crunching into 2nd. Which seemed to be fixed.

Test drove a golf r and it for me was just a non event, so undramatic when the type r felt like a racecar but was just as capable as a daily and id imagine better mpg from the ctr as well

a friend recently bought a 2016 type r tuned to about 400 bhp,it's a really fun car.i don't know what the std car is like but a modded one is mental.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Also my bro has a Megane 250 non-cup if thats the one in ur price range, very different much more civilized easily copes with its power, quieter, easier on tyres, easier to drive, gd bit slower but still nice to steer, interior pretty owl fashioned, mpg below 30 most of the time, but has been faultless over many miles and a gd few years

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Only way to find out is to get out there and sample all of the above. Depends on what you want/need from a car.

S3/Golf R will be perfect if you’re after something with 300hp as well as the everyday usability and comfort. If you’re after a weekend toy I’d imagine a Civic or Megane would be do that job better.

Horses and courses.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
S3 for me. Feels a bit more special than the R. Hold out for a facelift though.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
With your budget I would be looking at GTIs, you‘re not going to get much in the way of an S3 for £20k, I’ve no interest in french or Jap cars so couldn’t advise you there.

it also really depends what you are looking for out of the car, if its a relatively fast comfortable car with good build quality you won’t go wrong with an S3, if you’re looking for a thrilling engaging drive I would look elsewhere.