How Do I Find The Owner Behind A Number Plate?

Topmark

RMS Regular
I recently downloaded an App for my iPhone... MyCarCheck, whereby you type in a registration number or license plate number and you are given the details about the car it is linked to.

There has been a number plate I have been after for a while (personalised to me), so I typed it in to see what would come up.

I now have the details about what car the number plate is registered to, but I would like to get the details of the person so I can contact them and offer them a price for it.

Is there any way of doing this? Or is it just out of the question as a result of data protection?

Thanks,

Mark.

areofall

RMS Regular
I recently downloaded an App for my iPhone... MyCarCheck, whereby you type in a registration number or license plate number and you are given the details about the car it is linked to.

There has been a number plate I have been after for a while (personalised to me), so I typed it in to see what would come up.

I now have the details about what car the number plate is registered to, but I would like to get the details of the person so I can contact them and offer them a price for it.

Is there any way of doing this? Or is it just out of the question as a result of data protection?

Thanks,

Mark.

Don't think you can find out, I want AXI 400 and it's on an old volvo but no way to track it down.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Get a pig friend to run the plates for you...

RoniN

RMS Regular
You can get the owners details from the dvlni if you have a valid reason and pay them for the info.

Data Protection goes right out the window!!

Cheers

Shauna_H

RMS Member
You can get the owners details from the dvlni if you have a valid reason and pay them for the info.

Data Protection goes right out the window!!

Cheers

Christ thats dodgey right there, you could make up any blubber as an excuse and there you go lol

C4L

RMS Regular
if you have been after it and have seen it about would it not be a good idea to go and speak to the person? suppose only works if you see it about...

Andy92

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru
you could try posting the reg up on here in the off chance that some one knows it. just a suggestion like. :/

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In Sweden you can get all owner details via SMS, directly from the DVLA equivalent. Nice little money earner for them, popular for dating purposes or to give abuse to another driver :p

Over here there is no legal way.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
Yeah I'd guess it is Illegal, and you won't get their details.

Like You could simply want to give the person a hiding, by using t0eh reg getting all their details would be a massive security breach.

But as mentioned above, looks like you can buy it from the DVLA, let us know how it panns out. But even paying the DVLA shouldn't be allowed.

Ge0rge

Banned
i dont think you can buy it.......afaik you can write to the dvla or dvlni and send a request through them to the person that has the plate/car your interested in i doubt very much they would pass sensitive info like that on for a fee that sounds crazy.

RoniN

RMS Regular
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067

Enquiries by post
You’ll need to fill in a ‘Request for information’ (V888) form if you want information about:
  • another vehicle’s keeper details – the fee for this is £2.50
  • previous keepers for a vehicle now registered in your name – the fee for this is £5.00
How to find out about the keeper details of another vehicle
You can only get the name and address of the registered keeper of another vehicle if you can demonstrate ‘reasonable cause’ for needing the information. The DVLA must consider the reasons why you need the information and how it will be used before it is given to you.
It is a criminal offence under Section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to unlawfully obtain or sell personal information. Unlimited fines in the Crown Court (or to a maximum of £5,000 in the Magistrates Court) exist as penalties in respect of these offences.
To check on the circumstances in which you can ask for information, what evidence you need to provide and what information will be supplied, go to:

Cheers

RoniN

RMS Regular
All you say is that you seen the owner drive off after hitting your car in a carpark and need the details to contact him/her regarding the bill for repairing your car.

Cheers

KaraokeMidget

RMS Regular
Drives
Mx5
All you say is that you seen the owner drive off after hitting your car in a carpark and need the details to contact him/her regarding the bill for repairing your car.

Cheers

Unlimited fines in the Crown Court (or to a maximum of £5,000 in the Magistrates Court) exist as penalties in respect of these offences.

Ge0rge

Banned

Cheers
and they would reply by saying contact the police and give them the details.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Unlimited fines in the Crown Court (or to a maximum of £5,000 in the Magistrates Court) exist as penalties in respect of these offences.

I can read you know and type in RED too lol.

and they would reply by saying contact the police and give them the details.

Actually they will not reply saying contact the police, if you witnessed a car hitting your car and driving off in say Tesco carpark and you got the reg. no. and contacted the police they will do nothing as it happened in a carpark and not on the public highway. That's why this service is provided.

With respect to "unlawfully obtaining" this info who's to say your doing that, you give them a reg. no. that you saw driving off from hitting your car, it's your word against the third parties.

This is how the system works and your details are sold everyday to companies paying for the info.

Cheers

Ge0rge

Banned
you would not get the info for that, someone hits your car and drives off its an offence regardless of it being on the road or a car park

Ge0rge

Banned
scenario 1...

local stalker see's a woman driving buy him everyday at the same time he waits at a bus stop he cant afford a car to follow her home as he spends all his money on binoculars and duct tape so he thinks i want her if i cant have her no one else will, i know il pretend to dvla she brushed against my car and they will give me all the info i need to nip round to hers for coffee.

scenario 2.....

norman the nerd has a road rage incident with big balls from the falls feeling invincible inside his locked car, big balls from the falls tells dvla i like his reg plate wonder if he ll sell can you give me his address til i nip round and make him an offer he cant refuse.

come on man its common sense they ll not give out info like that unless theres good grounds too i.e your listed as a previous owner etc and needed to get in touch.

RoniN

RMS Regular
Ge0rge go a read the pdf files from the link I posted regarding evidence needed to demonstrate reasonable cause, then look at the form you send off, it really is that simple, you can argue the case all you like but this is how the system works, I have personal experience of getting owners details this way before and I wasn't stalking anyone "honest your honour".

Cheers