How Do I Find The Owner Behind A Number Plate?

Ge0rge

Banned
i read it but you need to provide proof etc plus i gaurentee you they will tell you to report it to the police first...
we shall agree to disagree(y)

RoniN

RMS Regular
I'm not saying you don't report it but the police won't do anything about it and you have to get the owners details this way.

Cheers

Guz

RMS Regular
Drives
TT
I think this how parking companies and landlords get information about people who park on their private property. Might be a way of getting the details.

KaraokeMidget

RMS Regular
Drives
Mx5
I recently downloaded an App for my iPhone... MyCarCheck, whereby you type in a registration number or license plate number and you are given the details about the car it is linked to.

There has been a number plate I have been after for a while (personalised to me), so I typed it in to see what would come up.

I now have the details about what car the number plate is registered to, but I would like to get the details of the person so I can contact them and offer them a price for it.

Is there any way of doing this? Or is it just out of the question as a result of data protection?

Thanks,

Mark.

Why don't you post the reg and car details here and see if any of the members know who own's it?

Just a thought

big cyril

RMS Regular
This multicolour text is great, you learn something new every day.

The irony about the DVA and data is that they will happily make a profit from selling your data to cowboy clampers and private carparks, there is no way they can check if those guys are genuine or not due to the sheer number of requests.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
i read it but you need to provide proof etc plus i gaurentee you they will tell you to report it to the police first...
we shall agree to disagree(y)
Also can i add that you'd be pretty stupid if you were looking to get someones details to do harm to them and give an address at the very least for the first port of call for the police to check out lol.

Ge0rge

Banned
Also can i add that you'd be pretty stupid if you were looking to get someones details to do harm to them and give an address at the very least for the first port of call for the police to check out lol.
thats why you pay someone else to do the application or wait your time after getting the info.....

to be fair most nutters dont really care about getting caught.

chunkerz

RMS Regular
Drives
A3
I'm not saying you don't report it but the police won't do anything about it and you have to get the owners details this way.

Cheers

I would imagine if you reported an accident to the police and had the reg of the vehicle they wouldnt tell you to go apply for the details and sort the issue out amongst each other, sure can they not check the vehicle details and contact the owner of the vehicle?

Ge0rge

Banned
all maybe well and true but we are going slightly off topic the original question is can he obtain the personal details of the owner of another number plate because he wants to buy the reg, there was no accident and for him to say there was would be silly, firstly if he applies for the details im fairly sure the dvla will also contact the other party to let them know someone is looking their details and why, whats the first thing the other party is gonna do upon hearing their car was involved in a prang 500 miles away when it wasnt? call the police to report someone else possibly using a car with their reg number.

so to answer the original question...no probably not.

chunkerz

RMS Regular
Drives
A3
how about contact the site sponsor aceregs see if they are able to track it down, they are going to know more than most people I guess.

Ge0rge

Banned
how about contact the site sponsor aceregs see if they are able to track it down, they are going to know more than most people I guess.
data protection im fairly sure he would be sacked for that if he could and passed on info.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
If you speak to ACE Reg on the site, (RMS TRADER) he may be able to assist you.
Im sure if you contact the DVLNI with the reason behind it, and request them to pass your details on, its worth a shot. as also stated. somebody here might know the owner, so post the reg up? OR even part of the reg, with make. colour of car etc.

If you see the car, leave the owner a wee note expressing your interest :grinning:

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
It's just a Fiesta, out of all the drivers in Northern Ireland, a very small number are on this website (although and extremely well populated website).

I haven't seen the car so I am unable to follow the driver or leave them a note, but I will try applying for their details through DVLNI... I suspect it will be a very slowwww process. I shall keep you all updated!

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice thus far,

Cheers,
Mark.

MopeyGecko

It's just a Fiesta, out of all the drivers in Northern Ireland, a very small number are on this website (although and extremely well populated website).

I haven't seen the car so I am unable to follow the driver or leave them a note, but I will try applying for their details through DVLNI... I suspect it will be a very slowwww process. I shall keep you all updated!

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice thus far,

Cheers,
Mark.

I realise this is an old thread and a long shot but did you have any luck with this? I'm trying to do similar. Thanks

Topmark

RMS Regular
OP
Topmark
I realise this is an old thread and a long shot but did you have any luck with this? I'm trying to do similar. Thanks

Contacted DVLA or whoever the appropriate body were - no joy. They wouldn't release any details to me (understandably) and wouldn't contact the owner on my behalf either. Pain in the ar*e. So I ended up getting a slightly different plate that the DVLA had for sale.

X5 Grounded

Drives
A8
Why do so many people comment when they have actually no experience of doing something first hand?
The legalities of it are plain simple, car parks are private property, police will not even attend an RTA on a public highway unless someone is injured, the DVLA will want a signed statement of fact, but then take your word for it for a fee, the whole system is too complicated to have you try to prove it and also to disprove it.
The car park incident is probably the best one to use, it's a civil matter as it's private land. I would, however, be careful how you use this information, for instance, do not tell the owner where you got the info and do not just send them a letter, try and locate them personally, knock on their door or leave them a note on the window screen just saying you've seen this number plate would you be interested in selling it. If there's promise make a decent offer, don't be too cheeky, also look at the car it's on and the location. Also, don't hammer them for it, make an offer, then try and negotiate, most of all be polite and well mannered. If they are not interested at all then leave it with them saying if you ever change your mind contact me directly. Plates are all about what they are worth to you or others. I own 6 private plates, 1 I got using the above method, 1 I actually stumbled across and knocked on a door, the rest 1x Reg (rip off) transfers and the 3 others DVLA directly be enquiring for a release of plates that were not in circulation. They then put them up for auction, make sure they have your details and notify you, I lost 1 plate because they didn't notify me :worried:.

Anyway, the world is changed more by your influence than your opinion!!

Good luck all :grinning:

X5 Grounded

Drives
A8
Contacted DVLA or whoever the appropriate body were - no joy. They wouldn't release any details to me (understandably) and wouldn't contact the owner on my behalf either. Pain in the ar*e. So I ended up getting a slightly different plate that the DVLA had for sale.
I don't mean to sound crass, but if you contacted them why do you still not know who they were?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
@X5 Grounded welcome to RMS, fire a post up in the new members section and introduce yourself.
This thread is three years old and long forgotten about