How do you afford your car?

Boksic

RMS Regular
I would have a fecking awesome car if I didn't keep buying ***** as "projects" to keep me amused 😂
As well pointed out here, it's maybe not about affording to buy a 40 (for example) grand car today, but being able to pay a few hundred quid or whatever regularly for the next lot of tomorrows..
And a lot of people are living with the "you could be dead tomorrow" attitude so why not enjoy something now.

Although I don't have any finance or loans, I always found that if I'd a bill to pay I would have the money for it, whereas if I was asked to save that amount of money - I'd probably have it spend on 💩

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
I was a single bloke for years had a couple of new/nearly new cars nothing mad (fiesta,Focus tdci/focus st) but reasonably new nonetheless. Saved up a good bit... went on a big mad holiday to the states (and a few smaller ones in Oz and Germany) bought an 04 st170 for the summer, 7,8 years later I still have it... then bought an 06 passat, still have it and drive it everyday.
After the big holidays I met my now wife, got married and we have a 1 year old child. When things settle down and I get the house we want then my attention will turn back to cars. Just now I have other priorities. In the meantime thank god for my old focus and passat I love those cars;)

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Houses was my car downfall as well. Saying that the Scaab 9-5 estate has been priceless, basically been using it as a landfill taking stuff to the dumps and picking up stuff to do up the house we bought in Scotland. I fear to clean the interior I’ll have to use petrol and a match though. Very low miles on it as well.... wife was loading baby and wind caught door of her Lexus and basically wedged itself on the saab bit dent and scratch ah well, plus I leave it in the station car park now most days and I can see the fear in people’s eyes when they park their nice shiny new cars next to it.😂

BrookST

RMS Regular
Drives
Monaro VXR
In my 40’s with house and family, always had something interesting to drive over the years as a main single car, more recently have a daily vrs octavia and Porsche weekend car, kids getting older and running the rat race in work through hard graft and uni, from quality technician in the 90’s to Ops Director

RevT

RMS Regular
I would have a fecking awesome car if I didn't keep buying ***** as "projects" to keep me amused 😂

Snap!

I don’t even have time for projects but I end up buying anything I think is cheap and it sits for ages.

At present I have seven cars all bought and paid for. I think if I sold the lot I could have something decent to drive instead of driving a 370K Audi A4 as a daily. Sad existence! :joy:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Have done HP and personal loans as well one lease (my one and only new car). We both have decent jobs and are in our late 40s so we own both cars outright bought with savings. I just pump more money in to the joint account every month to top the kitty up (same as paying a loan payment really). Our daughter is doing GCSEs this year so uni in a couple more years that’ll be a drain on cash flow so we’ll likely just hold on to the S3 and Mini for a while and concentrate on the mortgage.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Deezer our daughter has just went to uni this year certainly big drain keep topping up those savings bank on 600 per month shelling out

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I don’t. Don’t own my own home and get on with my kids. I daily a recovery truck and if we’re going anywhere il drive the wife’s a3. Flash cars bore me & I can never keep one longer than a couple of weeks. I can’t owe anyone so much as a tenner so mortgage and finance is out.

The Grinch..

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I don’t. Don’t own my own home and get on with my kids. I daily a recovery truck and if we’re going anywhere il drive the wife’s a3. Flash cars bore me & I can never keep one longer than a couple of weeks. I can’t owe anyone so much as a tenner so mortgage and finance is out.

The Grinch..

What about the Nova?

PieMan1

RMS Regular

own my own car, live at home with the parents, In my young opinion, it's not buying a car, it's insuring it.

Example

gs300 on the classifieds .. cheapest insurance £3k.

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Wait to your puttin kids trhru university and you will find. Minimums loans don’t cover accommodation and daily living costs. Well Worthing paying tho to see your kids doing well

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Wait to your puttin kids trhru university and you will find. Minimums loans don’t cover accommodation and daily living costs. Well Worthing paying tho to see your kids doing well
While it isn't yesterday, I only left university in 2014 so i'm not that long out of it - there's no way I was burning through £600 a month! But fair play, if you can afford it then happy days (y)

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
While it isn't yesterday, I only left university in 2014 so i'm not that long out of it - there's no way I was burning through £600 a month! But fair play, if you can afford it then happy days (y)
@pizza85 my budget was probably 600 a year :joy:
the only saving grace was I went to Jtown so I was able to drive saving on public transport and you could bring a packed lunch

MILLER_102

RMS Regular
Drives
CBR1000rr
Just do the sensible thing... buy a bike :cool:(y)

I sold my e92, e36 m3 and MV agusta last year to buy a house in Scotland (as I moved for work)

Now daily a V6 Navara (needed for work and house renovations) and bought a 09 fireblade to have fun on..

I'm not overly bothered about fast cars as much anymore.. but when the new shape M3 drops to the 25k mark I could probably be tempted

Toeman

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf gti pp
Student hall accommodation these days is minimum 100 per week And for them to feed and live after that you can see how it adds up I know of people who hav two kids at uni and they are paying out over a grand per month student loans are ok if you are able to claim the maximum

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Student hall accommodation these days is minimum 100 per week And for them to feed and live after that you can see how it adds up I know of people who hav two kids at uni and they are paying out over a grand per month student loans are ok if you are able to claim the maximum

There's this new thing called part time jobs!

I'm glad my parents weren't well enough off to pay for me to do what I want, let me live at home sure but if I wanted any of my own money then I went out and earned it.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Tbh to afford my cars (my zed specifically) I go without a lot of other stuff my friends take for granted.

For example :

Clothes I wear until they wear out, jeans with holes, shoes well worn etc, I just don’t spend on that to be able to afford my passion.
Same with computer games, cinema trips/lads nights out etc.

With 2 kids now and mortgage loans etc I just do not have the disposable income to be able to do everything.

Wife’s car is a pcp lease which we are actually clearing this month to own car outright. It’s a good car and just had timing chain and service etc done. Will be good for another 5/6 years.

Then the little daily getz I use daily tbh saves me a fortune in fuel and lets the zed be used as a fun weekend or sunny day car.

I look at the zed sometimes and think selling it would free up a lot of cash etc but then I sacrifice a lot for the family and kids (and rightly so) so I know I need something that is still ‘mine’ my wife agrees with this and actively discourages me when I think of selling it lol.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3

I'm glad my parents weren't well enough off to pay for me to do what I want, let me live at home sure but if I wanted any of my own money then I went out and earned it.

I graduated in 2013, lived at home which saved me a fortune so was only really running a car I worried about but any spending money was acquired by working in ASDA every weekend then the student loan covered the fees.

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane

I had a PT job throughout my studying too, however I can see Toeman's point. any end up compromising uni work for the income from their pt job. Which is better, them having a pt job and possibly a lesser qualification or a helping hand if you can afford it and the opportunity for better results / standard of qualification?

Also depends on the course, do you think student nurses should study, do the hands on in hospitals (often having to travel to the far end of the country for the experience) plus work a PT job? I know they get a bursary but that doesn't cover it.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
definitely not cheap and then bills on top depending on whether she is in halls or not

I do fully agree with @1989_mel_45 a part time job is good to teach kids etc the value of money but I worked at 30-45 hour week in a maxol on top of my degree and came out with a 2:1, but there is no question if I didn't work I would have had a first. Doesn't bother me as a 2:1 in Accounting will always land you a job but would have been nice to get a first lol
I graduated in 2013, lived at home which saved me a fortune so was only really running a car I worried about but any spending money was acquired by working in ASDA every weekend then the student loan covered the fees.
student loan didn't even cover my books and running costs

bill

Banned

The Grinch..
I hate that owing money have tried not to for a long time i agree with you mate knowing your debt free is a good feeling. If we do borrow its paid asap.