How do you buy a car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Strange thread title but what I mean is what way do you go about it?

Do you know what you want or are you easily swayed? Do you have a list of requirements it needs to satisfy or do you let the heart rule the head? Does the body type play a part in the decision or whether it's front, rear or four wheel drive?

Or do you just buy something that appeals to you that is supposed to be a fairly decent motor?

My scenario (caution rambling ahead)
I'm in the mood for a new (oldish) daily driver and I've been doing more procrastinating than getting around to buying. :laughing:

I've considered all sorts of cars : VW Corrado G60, Saab 9000 Aero, Audi A6 Avant 2.7 Bi-turbo, Volvo T5-R, Toyota MR2 Turbo (2nd gen.), 1st and 2nd gen. Mazda MX-5, Honda CR-X (2nd gen.) Subaru Legacy, Jeep Wrangler (not sure why at all regarding this one!), Renault Clio Williams, Renaultsport Clio Cup .... and about all they have in common is that they would have manual gears, run on petrol and mostly be fairly quick. Maybe not the Jeep. :p

I think part of the reason I haven't bought anything is because most of the cars that take my fancy are in England and I can't be bothered going over on a car hunt. Another concern is that it won't be allowed a space in our garage because there aren't any. I know a lot of people seem to keep a car about fifteen minutes and then sell it on for the next one but I tend to keep them for a good while.

[edit] forgot a couple on my list of possibles: Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6, Fiat Coupé 20v Turbo.

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Usually a lot of research & investigation as to be honest I never really need a car, I just pinch a family member's, so it could take months of searching for the right one. Plus I couldnt be bothered parting with the money lol.

The fun is in the hunt IMO.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Generally I know what I want and then i do lots of investigation - forums, mags, review sites. Do not let travelling to England etc put you off ... There is more scope and choice etc there. My last 2 cars have been purchased in England

Reduce your short list down and then hammer your choices with investigations and test drives. The latter being the most important and then look at hard facts budget running costs future works etc

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
volvo t5r would get my vote along with the clio sport or corrado

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Price(thousands) / Horsepower (bhp)

Anything that comes out under £10 and I'll take it lol

EG> My Prelude... £1200 / 200bhp
= £6 per bhp

My 1st Skyline... £2500 / 260bhp
= £9.61 per bhp

In theory, I will by a 1000bhp car soon for £10k. I look forward to that!

Or a lawnmower for 30pence, bargain! Win Win Situation really.

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Haha Class Richy

THB i do lots and lots of research on a car, then at the last minute buy something completely different lol

Was completely set on a mini for ages then bought a golf

Then completely set on a corrado and bought a civic lol

Luckily havent done too bad either time

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
I'm the same, dead set on a Scoob... Skyline. Dead set on an S13... Skyline again. Went to buy an intercooler last night... collecting an S14a tomorrow night instead.

£10 per bhp tho, so just on the limit lol :laughing:

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
If I use your method richy my current car cost me 0.72p per hp lol

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I usually try and get something interesting, which for me personally equates to a hot hatch, sports car or Evo/Scooby-type car, rather than the run of the mill cars you see on every road. I have a list in my head of cars I've tried and cars I haven't, so I'm slowly working my way through it. Then it takes a fair bit of research into the car (common faults, etc) and I start looking around for one, distance doesn't bother me at all so I'll go anywhere within reason for it.

Though now and again you may come across something that you're not actively looking for. I was looking at an AE86 on a dealer's website a few years back (in Scotland) and noticed the front of an e30 325i Sport poking out in the corner of the photo - yet I didn't see it advertised on his website. So rung up about it, turned out to be a very nice example with only 49k miles and he hadn't valeted it yet hence it wasn't advertised. Deal was done and I got it the following week (y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I usually know what I'm getting next, as soon as I buy 1 car!

The Golf broke that cycle but.

I'd go 2.7T A6.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Once I get into my head what car I want I usually just check every single used car website I can find, check owners clubs etc for buying guides, then let my heart rule my head and go buy one!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
I dont try and stand out, but I try and pick cars that A are fun and interesting, B, drive well enough, C, wont cost a total bomb to run, and D, are something virtually no one else I know has and usually ask me ''why did you buy that'' until they get a go in it and are surprised. I like different to most other people, be in my VW estate, my Mazda 323f or even my second MG ZT.

chip

RMS Regular
Drives
Mustang Cobra
The last time found a range of car I want BHP/torque figures compared them to see which met my needs. At time I got the Leon I wanted needed something diesel, nice bit of power and had to look ok, then the wife stuck her bit in and said it had to be five doors. So of course the Leon not looking like a five door it ticked all the boxes. Prob use the same method in future and maybe not listen to her in future as she should have her own car by then.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
usually try to buy something im going to ba able to drive for couple months then make a few pound on ;)lol but doesnt always work out like that this time tho as long as it had tow bar and diesel it got bought hence why im now driving a c220 merc estate lol

Überdub

RMS Regular
OP
Überdub
Drives
Saab VW French
I just sell my car, hord like a jew for a few weeks and then just wait to see what comes up
I can't do that because I'd be guaranteed not to find something I really want and end up buying just out of necessity.

usually try to buy something im going to be able to drive for couple months then make a few pound on ;)
I couldn't do that either because if I liked it I'd only want to keep it. :p

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
I couldn't do that either because if I liked it I'd only want to keep it. :p[/QUOTE]

i usually find a reason to sell it even if i like it lol get it in to my head that it uses to much petrol lol then send her up the road but as i said you can make money everytime...u have to buy with your head and not what you want if you want to make money which i dont always do! bought a bmw e46 a year a go and lost big money when get rid of her :worried: loved it to lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.