How to: Service and clean your snow foam gun or lance and convert it to quick disconnect

Neil_M

RMS Regular
My snowfoam lance was due a service and while I had it apart, I thought I should convert it over to the increasingly common quick disconnect fittings.

Really the principle is to remove the filter/gauze and injector, soak them in descaler solution and re-seal everything. The quick disconnect fitting simply replaces the metal pipe and in my case, the Karcher bayonet fitting.

Both the filter and injector were very clean and showed no signs of being blocked. I always rinse the lance after use, so I guess that works.

This was a pretty straight forward job, just make sure you have the following tools to aid you.

14, 22, 24mm hex spanners.
Vice grips
Hammer
Drift
Descaler solution
PTFE Tape

Some links to help...

Oust Descaler
3x OUST~POWERFUL ALL PURPOSE DESCALER~LIMESCALE REMOVER~KETTLE~IRON~COFFEE MAKER | eBay

PTFE Tape
Gas PTFE Tape Yellow Tape BS6974 - GPTFE CHEAPEST ON EBAY | eBay

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Great video, well explained and accurate! Has me considering a short trigger / quick connect yet again for mine!

Cheers man. It's a very straight forward job.

We were testing out the quick disconnect yesterday, it was a great buy. Just make sure you get the quality guns there are cheapies about. Also a swivel attachment on the hose end can help prevent kinks.

avsd

RMS Regular
Drives
Mercedes/C350Est
Great video. This job is on my to do list. What gun did you buy and where did you get it?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Great video. This job is on my to do list. What gun did you buy and where did you get it?

I went for the Elite Car Care version. I presume you mean the quick disconnect gun?

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Good video, i am also looking to go to the quick disconnect ,i have an older Karcher which works fine has the metal and plastic lance, the nozzle is starting to give me bother now but the hose is fine , just don't know where to start.
wonder can you use the original hose onto the new trigger?

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Good video, i am also looking to go to the quick disconnect ,i have an older Karcher which works fine has the metal and plastic lance, the nozzle is starting to give me bother now but the hose is fine , just don't know where to start.
wonder can you use the original hose onto the new trigger?

You can indeed mate. Depending on the model you have, it may simply be a case of pressing the yellow button at the trigger to release the hose. Could you take a photo of the gun?

@Cleantec On here sell the adaptors.

Alternatively my dad kept his very old Karcher gun and hose... I bought a simple adaptor to reuse the hose and gun. Using the Karcher quick disconnect and fitting, it attaches to the new hose creating an extension hose, handy for dirty jobs like cleaning the patio.

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
@Neil_M here you go
IMG_2448.jpg

see i thought if i could have got an attachment to screw onto the trigger and make that the quick disconnect, save me buying a new trigger

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M

Sorry for the late reply. From looking at this, you are in the same boat with our old gun too...

Ultimately you can replace the hose with the new style Karcher quick disconnect and the fitting on the power washer unit itself, can have a suitable adapter installed.

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
Thanks @Neil_M , i am going to take it over to powertran tomorrow and see what coupling adapters they have and report back.

jimc

RMS Regular
Drives
caddy
just to update this, i took a run over to powertran 25 quid for the couplings and nozzles
IMG_2464.jpg