How to tell if timing belt changed?

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Any easy way to see if a timing belt has been changed recently?
Car is a 2014 Tiguan 2.0TDI Bluemotion (177bhp)

Mark_C

RMS Regular
It'll be fairly obvious if it's a brand new belt, the branding, codes etc will be very visible, the reinforcement will look clean and the belt teeth themselves will look new. There may be other signs such as obvious scrapes on the belt cover etc from where it has been manipulated out of the way.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
If itā€™s a new belt you will know,is it one your buying ?
Tell them to knock the price off and get it done yourself ?

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Buy a white marker pen and leave a date or a marking or something on the old belt

Then check if it's there when it comes back

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Belt is only one part of the job too. Wouldn't really get it done without the tensioners, pump, idlers, etc getting done too. I'd ask for a few quid off and get it done elsewhere if you don't trust them, personally.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Mark up the cover and screws to see if they get moved and a new belt is obviously goin to be exactly that, code, brand and markings clearly visible, & as above too get it to someone you trust and get the whole lot done.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
*tinfoil hat on*

FYI.....................I recall a guy on a uk forum who did just this and when he got the car back, was able to see where the pen had been cleaned off with thinners. Nuts.

Buy a UV security marker and use that instead

You could even write "change this you c0cks" along the whole length of the belt in case, you know.............they do see it ;)

J

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I had a guy mark his parts when I worked in the dealers (to be fair I don't blame him), so I returned the favour by drawing a smiley face on the bottom of his filter so he knew I replaced it šŸ˜€

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'm assuming you're looking at buying this wagon?!

If so, and if you don't trust the seller, negotiate the price of a belt kit replacement off it and get @pobmk4 to do it for you, for two reasons:

1) you know it's done and done properly
2) he will have used quality parts

Gates, INA or SKF kits only IMO.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Has happened me in the past
I supplied the parts,belt,water pump,tensioners etc
A few weeks later the engine went(nothing to do with the belt) but when it was pulled out and checked nothing had been changed šŸ˜”šŸ˜”