HPI check showing outstanding finance..

chapletown

RMS Regular
Drives
G20 M340i X
I am looking at a car at a local dealer, just a cheap trade in he took in at a few k, test drove it and everything last night and all was good. Couple of wee things needed sorted so left it with him to sort. Anyway this morning i do an hpi check on the car and it is showing as having outstanding finance. Ive never really been in this scenario before, obviously im gonna speak to him later and see what his take on it is, but im just wondering where do i stand legally if i buy this car..? Can the finance company just come out and take it off me down the line..? and if so do i have any comeback with the dealer?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Possibly just had finance on with with the previous owner and he cleared it as part of the deal , will take a few days to update , dealer will be able to clarify, wouldn’t worry too much.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Had that on one of the Alfas, rang the finance company and they were able to tell me it was cleared but not off the HPI system yet.

PAULW

RMS Regular
As per @FM155 the finance would usually be cleared by a dealer when they take the car in to stock, probably hasn't been updated on the systems yet. Get him to show you that it's been taken care of

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
The dealer would clear the finance once traded in. The can take time to update on HPI.
Another possibility is that the dealer has put it on Dealer Stocking to free up some cash flow.

Have a chat first to see what he says maybe?

chapletown

RMS Regular
OP
chapletown
Drives
G20 M340i X
Cheers lads got speaking to the dealer and as you all have said finance was settled as part of the new deal. So just hasn't updated yet. Thanks for the input.. đź‘Ť