I am an idiot - E60 content

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
My car - 9 116 260
Donor - 6 941 592

Yep will work. Assuming you had the adaptive xenons to start with going on the LCM that was in the car?

Fitting halogens and that donor LCM will work.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Yep will work. Assuming you had the adaptive xenons to start with going on the LCM that was in the car?

Fitting halogens and that donor LCM will work.

Yeah I had the adaptive xenons originally.
Just going back to my original xenons (despite their crapness) until such times as I get a decent set.

I don't plan to run the halogens at all only bought that cheap LCM to get brake lights etc working. If all else works ok il splash out on a proper lcm

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Positive update time;

Started with this;
IMG_20201110_214936816.jpg
IMG_20201110_214921856.jpg

Bit of this;
IMG_20201117_204055226.jpg

IMG_20201118_205107806.jpg

And I have lights again....kind of....

The headlights, because they are xenon and the temporary module (proper one ordered) is halogen mean that the headlights are intermittent and il not be using them or the car. Does prove everything else works which I am happy with. Thanks to @AlpineF30 for the advice and info.

In total there were 120 crimps and 180 bits of heat shrink to apply. Bloody time consuming not to mention the time spent working out which wires went where.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
It took out the 2 big 40 amp maxi fuses as well. Had a bit of an "ah **** it still doesn't work" this morning til I checked them.
I don't understand why it got to the point of melting the LCM to that extent before the fuses popped. Perhaps they should be lower rated ?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
It's surprising how long it takes for a fuse to pop sometimes. I plugged in a grinder years ago the plug was wet inside and I had a good fireworks show. The pins in the plug melted and the plug caught fire all before the fuse blew in the switch board. I have a pic somewhere of the plug.

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
@McFall1984 is there a full set of mudflaps on it?
Drivers door seal if its in good nick.
Drivers mirror if the base isnt corroded

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
@McFall1984 is there a full set of mudflaps on it?
Drivers door seal if its in good nick.
Drivers mirror if the base isnt corroded
Moulded flaps might be on it
I’ll double check
It’s in the trailer ready to go
Driver door base needs painted, have 2 sets an both have flaked

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
Moulded flaps might be on it
I’ll double check
It’s in the trailer ready to go
Driver door base needs painted, have 2 sets an both have flaked

As well to paint my own mirror bases if thats the case.

If the flaps are all there and in decent nick il take them.
Drivers door seal if its handy got at and in good nick. Never worry if its loaded and cant get the doors open.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
No it’s not loaded, I’ve just took out coilovers, spacers, wheels, head an tail lights basically

Antoin

RMS Regular
OP
Antoin
Drives
E60 535d
To draw this to a conclusion I finally got it fixed and working correctly.

Got the wiring sorted quick enough and then ordered a module on eBay. Same part nr etc etc. Fitted it but the indicators were playing up a bit. Turbo indicators like there was a bulb out but all bulbs were fine.

Assumed it was just a coding issue and had planned to drive it down to @AlpineF30 who kindly offered to take a look and code it correctly. However given the distance (80miles), and life getting in the way I never got down.

Eventually got the coding file pulled off the module and emailed off to @AlpineF30 for him to see what was up and see if it was possible to rectify. Turns out it came off an e65 and as it has twin indicators in the headlight it was throwing up the error.

So I made the decision rather than feck about with that e65 module and to go source an E60 module which if it needed coding would be easier for Chris to code. Better base to start with.
Turns out the E60 module was more or less plug and play. It'll need the vin changing but to be quite honest I couldn't give a feck about that lol

Big thanks to @AlpineF30 for the offer of coding and the advice on getting it sorted.