ICE...help

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
your just thinking to far ahead... worry about things like that when the ful install is fibreglassed in place, and all the wire have been cut to measure for that specific car :laughing: lmao

-Pete-

RMS Regular
honestly one sub can be go nice and loud too ;) a single 12" with a good amount of power will be provide plenty of voume for you but its up to you though as its your install , your cash :grinning: the single sub will also allow more room for mounting amps and a correctly sized enclosure

what car is this going into by the way? clio? corsa? something bigger?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
stevie_civic_vti-s said:
yeah i know everything is cheap in america,but what happens when something goes wrong with the product,were do people go then? yes i know local shops. alot of people seen to know were the local shops are when they have problems.8o|

Thats a risk the buyer has to take. If they chose to save several hundred perhaps over UK price, they have to decide if they can justify if something goes wrong with it the warranty will be of no use here. Its the people who buy stuff cheap online, then whinge when it goes wrong and have no leg to stand on.....(the 9855 issue was different altogether Iain, incase you're thinking otherwise :p).

Like ive said before, i personally have no 2nd thoughts about buying the likes of amps and subs from America- basically because if i buy, i USUALLY only buy once, and that does me for a long period of time. But i would never buy a head unit from America, i just feel more could go wrong and id rather be left with no sub, than no music at all! I buy all my head units from here (my previous pairing both bought and fitted by Audio Advice), and i dont mind paying the extra- a) to support them, and b) for piece of mind + warranty.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
So if i am to go for just 12" sub and one amp to power it giving the extra cash i wil have what combo should i choose ?
Has to be available from the american shop www.indoaudio.com

Going into a polo...but future plans include either a astra or focus. Which brings me to the question of can i fit the same components to them cars ?

Thanks

NO LIMITS

joeshaft said:
(PHOENIX GOLD by the way :grinning: )

lol! :grinning: honestly id love to know your evidence that you're using to discredit what i have said? as i already said im very happy to have a technical indepth discussion with you about this matter as its a very interesting topic and one that is always under great debate but please dont try and undermine what i have said without providing any evidence to the contrary to back it up ^o)

you mentioned its simple physics and yes my statement is based on exactly that- newtons laws! what are your statements based on? certainly nothing substantial anyway, you're just saying im wrong and no more,you're not backing anything you say up. dont get me wrong, if you can prove or show to me how im wrong then im more than happy to admit im wrong but until then i think your slightly out of depth on this topic as your inadequate childish replies have shown .

i havent made a sweeping statement about all subs are as fast as each other as i clearly laid out,i even used the example of a 12" and 10" jl w3 in a previous post:relieved:

maybe you should read it again and try and understand it. i also gave a clear and technical post above and if more detail is needed then no problem. ;)

and why are you being so silly about the eq statement, i have never said eq's are pointless but they only have certain uses and they are NOT and WILL NEVER be the solution to ALL audio problems faced within the car environment.

resonance, stage height, depth, ambience, signal noise, noise floor, tonality, phase,imaging,sound linearity,dynamic impact,reflections, resonant frequencies , standing waves and path length differences. out of all of these things an eq will only help improve some and ONLY when used correctly!! its how the system as a whole operates and integrates as one that overall dictates how good it will sound. its not a case of throw an eq at a bad system and it will be just spot on ;) ^o)

so please as i asked you before enlighten me on all the areas you feel i am wrong and im more than willing to accept any errors in what i have said IF you can back up why???

i think anyone else reading this will realise your out of your depth here.

Back to topic

Obviously joe you come from a home audio background with your statements which i will agree with you on BUT in a car enviroment everything changes dramaticaly
1:the peramiters of a sub are important
2:the FS of a sub is also important (as you have stated physics)
3:Amp power is also critical
4:10"and 12" subs cone weights are different a 12" sub having a lower resonent frequency
SORRY WE HAVE TO GO INTO THIS EVERYBODY ELSE OUT THERE ON THIS TREAD BUT JOE WANTS TO BE DULL

Heres a senario you have 1 9ltr 10" sealed enclosure which in free air placement(on the floor in a room) will produce 58 hz @-3db

You then take the same enclosure and put it in a pug 306 for example it will now produce 30-33hz @ -3db with the same amp power as earlier so the car will generally lower the frequency by half an octave and this is because the enclosure is now in a small sealed space.
End story A 10" sub will almost always produce a different sound than the 12" version.;)

-Pete-

RMS Regular
producing a different sound and cabin gain are entirley different to "woofer speed" and transient respones ;) woofer speed is more over determined by the inductance of the woofer not the mass of the cone. and again i stated in similar models of subwoofer(again going back to the 10" jl w3 and 12" w3), not two completely different subs.

and no im not from a home audio background but i do take an active interest in both.

oh and your still not enlightening me as to why i am wrong, just talking about something else entirely.:relieved:

NO LIMITS

joeshaft said:
producing a different sound and cabin gain are entirley different to "woofer speed" and transient respones ;) woofer speed is more over determined by the inductance of the woofer not the mass of the cone. and again i stated in similar models of subwoofer(again going back to the 10" jl w3 and 12" w3), not two completely different subs.

and no im not from a home audio background but i do take an active interest in both.

oh and your still not enlightening me as to why i am wrong, just talking about something else entirely.:relieved:

i never said they where 2 completely different subs :relieved:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
this is part of my point! im not saying ALL 10's are as quick as ALL 12" 's and same for 15's etc! im talking about like for like sub within the same range (JUST DIFFERENT SIZES-NOT DIFFERENT BRANDS OR MODELS)

NO LIMITS

joeshaft said:
this is part of my point! im not saying ALL 10's are as quick as ALL 12" 's and same for 15's etc! im talking about like for like sub within the same range (JUST DIFFERENT SIZES-NOT DIFFERENT BRANDS OR MODELS)

neither am i:relieved:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
then what exactly are you saying when you tell me im talking bullsh*t etc in other posts and discredit everything im saying. you clearly dont have any answer and this is getting tiresome wasting my time.

pablo

RMS Moderator
ok in summary (before someone gets whacked):

Q: Can some 12s be punchier than other 10s (diff brand/model whatever).

I think yes - sub design and box design can be mated to give you pretty much what you want.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
pablo said:
ok in summary (before someone gets whacked):

Q: Can some 12s be punchier than other 10s (diff brand/model whatever).

I think yes - sub design and box design can be mated to give you pretty much what you want.

is that a hint to get back on topic....:relieved:

Thanks

Steve VTi

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic Type R EP3
the guy only asked for some simple advice,and joeshaft and no limits have went away over the top on the advice.if use want to discuss the difference between subs (etc) start your own topic.use have racked the lads thread by going on at each other. ps the system you have put up is a very good system for the money.good luck with it mate.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Not reckes as such just not really what i was after lol...Its all good tho :grinning:

Thanks

-Pete-

RMS Regular
yeh sorry for my part in that lot just wanted to defend myself and what i had said.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Its no bother :grinning: all interesting and a good read as long as someone gives me a hand to hehe..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.