Impact gun

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Why not?

Always good to have more tools.

Because for the intended job, simply not needed ? And as he has mentioned buying cheap....really, if something is needed and worth having, more often than not, "cheap" is not the way to go in order to be good to have more tools.

Having more crap, isn't the same as having more tools.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Because for the intended job, simply not needed ? And as he has mentioned buying cheap....really, if something is needed and worth having, more often than not, "cheap" is not the way to go in order to be good to have more tools.

Having more crap, isn't the same as having more tools.
Ok.

eamon343

RMS Regular
Im with stevie, decent breaker bar and socket set would do the job if it isnt to be used much.

Cro

RMS Regular
You’d need a special tool for a strut top mount nut and a decent set of Allen’s which you could only really use for those types of jobs… or you could just buzz it off with a gun and use it again for other things in the future.

I think I’d be buying a decent second hand gun personally

Joe 90

RMS Regular
my mechanic swears by his milwaukee fuel impact, and i believe him, but overkill for my needs - i got this 1/2" dewalt few years ago and its been more than sufficient

View attachment 370570
I'll recommend this one as well. Dewalt is the best value power tools and still top quality. Itll take a big one like this for heavy work. Forget about cheap ones.
You don't need it for what your doing and its a bit big to fit into tight places. I prefer an air impact wrench. But a 1/2 breaker bar will easily open anything on a car.

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
OP
Hillbill7
Drives
Megane 225
Opened a bit of a can of worms here so I have. I see people’s point that sometimes one doesn’t need anything more than some basic hand tools, and perhaps what I have in the garage will be grand, they have in the past. But again if you can make life easier then why not??

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If you want to spend the money, then by all means do.

If you already have some decent battery tools, try and get one same brand so you can use the same batteries.

But buying cheap tools is usually pointless as they will not get the job done. And if you want it to be actually useful as an impact gun, you'll need to get a decent one that has a good torque rating.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
@Hillbill7 Just noticed your in Ballyclare if you want the lend of a impact gun to see if it helps you I'm only in Ballynure. Give me a shout if it helps you out.

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
OP
Hillbill7
Drives
Megane 225
@Hillbill7 Just noticed your in Ballyclare if you want the lend of an impact gun to see if it helps you I'm only in Ballynure. Give me a shout if it helps you out.
Cheers man very much appreciate the offer!! Must keep an eye out for the ST.
You’d need a special tool for a strut top mount nut and a decent set of Allen’s which you could only really use for those types of jobs… or you could just buzz it off with a gun and use it again for other things in the future.

I think I’d be buying a decent second hand gun personally
Been keeping an eye out for one but there’s not been much and any that have either look rough as get out or have no battery.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
As has been mentioned a 1/2" breaker bar isnt much use sometimes when just using a jack!
With tight spaces and little ground clearance a 'cheap' gun like my 400nm Ryobi is invaluable for someone like me!

PAULW

RMS Regular
Buy a Milwaukee 1/2 mid torque with a couple of batteries, it won't be cheap but you'll never regret it and it will enable you to tackle other jobs.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Impact gun is great for things that would turn, like crank pulley, or say a component like a diff sitting on the bench where it's going move about when you try to use a breaker bar.

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
As has been mentioned a 1/2" breaker bar isnt much use sometimes when just using a jack!
With tight spaces and little ground clearance a 'cheap' gun like my 400nm Ryobi is invaluable for someone like me!

Ditto...exactly that!

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I agree with the above. There are some things that just made so much easier with an impact gun over a breaker bar. Crank pulley bolt for one.

I think you are much less likely to break a bolt with an impact gun.

I got a Draper mains powered one for £85 recently. And for the money it's been great. I was crapping myself about doing subframe bushes, and snapping the the bolts or rounding the e torx heads on. 2 secs and they were off.

Can't state how much you need to use impact rated sockets though, don't be tempted to try to use normal ones.

The only downside of this Draper is that it's big and heavy.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Tight spaces are the very place impact guns do not fit, because they're huge.

And using a jack for what ? A vehicle should never be held only on a jack when working near or around it.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Tight spaces are the very place impact guns do not fit, because they're huge.

And using a jack for what ? A vehicle should never be held only on a jack when working near or around it.

Stevie. Lol.

I mean the tight space of being under a car and just having the working height provided by only using a jack, obviously with axle stands lol.

Having the car only so many inches off the ground isnt very handy with a 3/4ft bar!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Stevie. Lol.

I mean the tight space of being under a car and just having the working height provided by only using a jack, obviously with axle stands lol.

Having the car only so many inches off the ground isnt very handy with a 3/4ft bar!

Buy a better jack ! lol

Chris0

RMS Regular
I have something like this in the house I use for any difficult or seized nuts. They are big bulky things but good to lift out when needed and my thought is it I buy cheap and it breaks I’ve used it enough to warrant buying a decent one next time

No point forking out 100s on something which you end up not using much