Importing a car from South of Ireland to the North

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Pretty much the same process though I'd double-check the VRT/VAT situation, iirc panel vans have no VRT and crew cab type ones pay a reduced amount. I don't know if this has any bearing on the VAT you pay (if any) when you bring it into the UK.

yea the vat is the tricky bit but to try and get through to someone in HMRC is proving to be difficult lol just don't want to be caught out doing the Nova and having a bill to pay.. would be great if anyone has imported a fresh enough commercial vehicle from the south?

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
update, bought the van or given shall we say from my work..

the only question I have is the certificate of conformity is proving difficult when I ring the dealers they literally know more about a jam sandwich and citroen online is charging 200 quid and you've to apply with a pile of paperwork. This certificate wont even do me as my van only reads KPH not both so I need a further letter of mutual recognition or some jazz,

anyways if I pay the 199 and get an IVA done with new clocks in it will that cancel out any certificates etc needed is it one or the other ?

thanks

Bmwbreaker

RMS Regular
Has anything changed since brexit?? Looking to take a car into the North from the South. Car was originally a UK reg so shouldn't be tax ect.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Anyone's bet really...

As a private individual you should be able to buy stuff from the Republic and register it here without any penalties compared to before..

It's only if the car is sold on into GB there might be problems/new hoops to jump through.

All in theory. How that actually works in Brexit-land or how you go about it - no idea.

ChrisMST

Hey I've been trying to research online about this and the posts on this forum seem to be the most helpful. I'm looking at importing a 99 Polo 6n 1.0 from Ireland into Northern Ireland. I just have a few questions about all this.

Certificate of conformity am I right in thinking I don't need one for this car as it's over 10 years old?
I tried ringing around and autoline said they can insure the car under the chassis number for 30 days after that it's under the new reg plate for 12 months. Is a 12 month policy the only way you can do this?
While also on the phone he mentioned about the car's worth as he said from past experience it's expensive and takes a lot of time (someone on here said they got it done in 4 weeks? doesn't seem that long) Is he right in saying that this is gonna cost a load to import this car?

Lastly are there any companies that import cars that I could get to do this process for a fee as it seems like there are quite a few different hoops to go through for someone doing this for the first time compared to someone that does it for a living.

Sorry for all the questions but you guys seems to be the most knowledgeable on any of this.

Thank you

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
My own personal experience was a few years back and was a 1999 Evo that I needed no certificates or anything of the likes for, I was able to apply for a mot from the chassis number and then apply for a registration the same way, Iā€™m trade so canā€™t advise you on the insurance but surely you could cancel a policy at anytime and also pick a polo up here and save you the headaches??

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
In theory it should be the same as whatever went before.

Not a clue how it works in practice now.

The reg on VIN is only to get it through MoT so you you can tax it and get a reg. Once you have a reg you can cancel the VIN insurance and take out any normal insurance you want.

I guess they just mean they can move the VIN insurance automatically to one based on the new reg for you if you want to stay with them.

eamonn93

RMS Member
Hi all.

Just bought a 1994 Mercedes 310d that has been parked up in NI for a good few years by the looks of it - ex order of Malta ambulance still kitted out as such.

It still has the southern reg. Wanting to MOT it and change to NI reg but there's no Southern log book - which seems to be hassle?

Can anyone tell me what I'll need to do please?

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Apply for an mot here using the chassis number then youā€™ll get the forms of the government website to apply for a v5 and reg

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Apply for an mot here using the chassis number then youā€™ll get the forms of the government website to apply for a v5 and reg
Hi all.

Just bought a 1994 Mercedes 310d that has been parked up in NI for a good few years by the looks of it - ex order of Malta ambulance still kitted out as such.

It still has the southern reg. Wanting to MOT it and change to NI reg but there's no Southern log book - which seems to be hassle?

Can anyone tell me what I'll need to do please?
It's a bit more involved if there is no southern log book. Simplest option for you is to find a friend in the South and apply for a new log book there, and then do as Fred says.

If that is not possible then you need letters from Mercedes giving build details of the car which I'd say will be fun given the age of it.
I went through the process of registering a German Manta with no paperwork, took almost a year and a lot of hassle.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
All you need to know is here:

Just read and follow that and basically ignore online advice, lol :innocent:

It's slightly different depending on origin and age of the vehicle.

The main thing you need is proof of year of manufacture. So getting Irish papers will really help. The only other option is a certificate from the manufacturer based on chassis number. They may charge an amin fee for that. Ask a local Mercedes dealer and they'll help if they can.

Be aware there is a massive queue at dvla for registering cars. Last I spoke to them a few weeks ago they were still working through July applications šŸ™ˆ

starletterry

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne, GT
Capture.JPG

eamonn93

RMS Member
It's a bit more involved if there is no southern log book. Simplest option for you is to find a friend in the South and apply for a new log book there, and then do as Fred says.

If that is not possible then you need letters from Mercedes giving build details of the car which I'd say will be fun given the age of it.
I went through the process of registering a German Manta with no paperwork, took almost a year and a lot of hassle.
Great my missus is from Dublin so I'll get her to do it. Cheers

Reactions: AMG

cathaoir1995

RMS Member
Anyone done this recently? Will get the van insured this week and send the forms away - what is current turn around times?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Mate bought a car he's restoring a while back, that came up from the south. It is an English reg and shows as exported on vehicleenquiry in 2006ish, but it was never registered in the south and still had the GB plates on it when he bought. I'm assuming that the vendor in England marked the V5 as exported when they sold it back then. The guy he bought it off had brought it up from the south a while before. Has anyone had to do this and know if there will be a fee to pay and what this will be based on? It was a basket case that he gave Ā£4/500 for and what you wouldn't want is them basing any fee on what it's worth when finished and MOT'd. From what I can see it has to be mot'd and then when applying for tax needs to re reg the car back onto the system. He has the v5 from 2006.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
How old is the car?

It should be straight forward to register as it technically is imported from the EU. You need MoT (to chassis number), fill in a form, a cheque for tax, and then get a V5 back. It may get the same reg again, or a random one.

Depending on age you might need a manufacturer type approval certificate.

There should be no fee based on value or anything like that, no VAT (unless it's new, which it doesn't sound like) or customs fees, etc. Even if there were they would be based on what you paid for the car when it was bought.

But it should be just MoT and road tax, and some token admin fee.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Cheers dude, itā€™s late 1980s. The fact still has the v5 with reg and all details Iā€™d hope keeps the reg.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Should be no problem with that. Don't know if the original V5 helps or not, hopefully it does.

Have a look here. It's not difficult, just a process.