Importing from GB into Northern Ireland

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Does anyone know what the current situation is regarding importing a car from GB?

I'm hearing mixed information from various sources about VAT and such.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Getting curious myself. As maybe going to import from Japan via a mainland company who will register it. Or I wonder is it just business as usual fly over drive it back from the middle man

leek9

RMS Regular
OP
leek9
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Getting curious myself. As maybe going to import from Japan via a mainland company who will register it. Or I wonder is it just business as usual fly over drive it back from the middle man

Good point, you should be able to swerve the 10% EU duty on import.

Surely if you buy it over there, and drive home your own personal car.....there cannot be a problem ?

That is how i understand it, but for selling to ROI there is confusion over whether that same car is liable for VAT when being imported.

There is also something about NI dealers being affected, was already covered here under a different thread, but I didn't quite understand it.

**mugen**

RMS Regular
Drives
Big 9'er
I started this process just before Christmas, so hopefully as you say its a matter of fly over, drive back.... haven't been informed otherwise by the import company.

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Son bought car of dealer in UK last Thursday 21st.
They done change of owner online and he got instant notification of change so transferred insurance.
Arranged transport for ASAP.
Dealer informed that car was collected on Wednesday 27th and v5 arrived same day so taxed car same day in post office.
Car arrived Thursday 28th.
I asked driver was there any hassle at either port and he said no.

So that's our real time experience of getting a car fro uk to ni.

Dave..

RMS Regular
A mate bought a Sprinter in England and was booked to return home via Wales, when he went for the boat Stena told him he needed a neg test for covid. He told them this wasn’t on their website but they said tough sh1t.
He had to get the Liverpool boat and all the cabins were booked. Very unpleasant.

a220dms

RMS Regular
A mate bought a Sprinter in England and was booked to return home via Wales, when he went for the boat Stena told him he needed a neg test for covid. He told them this wasn’t on their website but they said tough sh1t.
He had to get the Liverpool boat and all the cabins were booked. Very unpleasant.

Was it an Irish requirement perhaps? Things sound very draconian down there. No such issues on the Liverpool to Belfast service - didn’t get a cabin myself but the stena plus lounge was grand.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
That's because he was arriving in the South.
Was it an Irish requirement perhaps? Things sound very draconian down there. No such issues on the Liverpool to Belfast service - didn’t get a cabin myself but the stena plus lounge was grand.
Yes, you need a neg test to land in the south

Vw86

RMS Regular
Has anyone brought a car over from the mainland recently themselves? There is quite a difference in price between anything available there Vs here and I don't mind the travel.

I done it a few times years ago but it's been a while. Is it still straight forward enough? Thanks

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Has anyone brought a car over from the mainland recently themselves? There is quite a difference in price between anything available there Vs here and I don't mind the travel.

I done it a few times years ago but it's been a while. Is it still straight forward enough? Thanks

Yes I've brought loads over the last few years, 3 this year so far. Just the same as it was before, go pick it up and drive it back as if you bought it in NI

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Brought a car Back last friday, no issues whatsoever.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
What about taxing it? I don't think I ever bothered before.

If you bring a printout of the Insurance Certificate you'll be able to tax it at a post office. The online system to do so is a bit hit or miss.

You can only transfer ownership online between 7am and 7pm btw.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Tax should be able to be done online with the new keepers slip of an english tax book, personally never bother though until the new book arrives unless it has none when picking it up.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Tax should be able to be done online with the new keepers slip of an english tax book, personally never bother though until the new book arrives unless it has none when picking it up.
Sure, every used car has no tax now.....no?

As soon as you do the change of ownership online, the tax is automatically cancelled and the rebate generated.

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Can now be done at time of purchase.

Last time I tried it failed, think the error was to do with unable to verify Insurance (Despite the seller having a policy on it and me taking one out that started 30 mins before I collected. Though sometimes it works fine. Always worth a try but hit or miss, so I print an insurance certificate as a plan B

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Last time I tried it failed, think the error was to do with unable to verify Insurance (Despite the seller having a policy on it and me taking one out that started 30 mins before I collected. Though sometimes it works fine. Always worth a try but hit or miss, so I print an insurance certificate as a plan B
Post office will only accept a printed copy of insurance now. At least Moira and Bangor asked for it as I tried both. Big posters up stating printed copies only.

KevM

RMS Regular

If the car has been registered in NI, it wont work online. If the car is still on a UK registered V5C, you can normally tax it online as the new keeper with the green slip.

Having said that, mine didnt work like that. I just drove home and taxed it in the Post Office the next morning