Impreza RB5 - Pic update Post #1 18/01/09

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
Impreza RB5 - update post #222 - lowered

OK, after reading many other full project threads i decided it was time i started my own.

As many will know, I was a difficult convert to the Subaru way of life :p even thinking of selling up soon after buying. but after a short time I soon converted.

Sorry if I go on a bit and this gets boring and drawn out. I did have some rather awful pictures of the car form 2004 with 17" Mille Miglia rims and blue calipers. Thankfully they have disappeared, hopefully never to be seen again.

The only remnants of blue on the car when I took ownership were blue badging, and a few badly painted engine bay bits.

I collected the car from Bristol in early September of 2007, after seeing it advertised on pistonheads and actually being the first one i`d saw, and after looking at 20 or 30 other cars, flew over and bought 423.

the car was fairly standard bar a few up grades and a massive massive history:

AP Racing 6 Pot brakes
Braided brake Lines
Decat exhaust (prodrive)
ITG Panel Filter
Bailey BOV

the car also came with STi rear lights... these were fitted while I was waiting in Stranraer for the boat home... couldnt be landing at home with tango`d rears!!!!

460 miles later and over 16 hours of travelling we made it home

Below : (how it was when Ross owned it before the sale)

31.jpg

Below : (photos from the original Pistonheads advert)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Below : (photos of the 1st day home)

4.jpg

5.jpg

After the initial expense of buying the car, once home I immeidately booked it into my regular mechanic for a full service, complete with coolant and belt change (all belts). Which fairly dented the wallet!

The front lip was also immediately repainted as were the replacement fog light covers, and restickered.

Most of the blue monstrousities (sp?) under the bonnet were quickly pulled off and painted satin black for the time being until the bank balance recovered and I could tidy it up.

October 2007
With the death of colin Mcrae, the NI section of Scoobynet organised a memorial run, attended by approx 70-80 cars, RB 423 of course went, and met a few other Rb5`s... namely kevin RB5 #420

Below : (Mcrae Run 2007 - #420 and #423)

6.jpg

7.jpg

November 2007
To celebrate the history of the Impreza over the years, rallying magazine carsport held a photoshoot with many members off the Scoobyireland.com forum. Again 420 and 423 were paired up for a double page spread (sadly i lost a wheel centre a few days previous)

Below : (Ballyronan Marina, Carsport Photo Shoot)

8.jpg

December 2007
With the addition of a few engine bay goodies in the form of a Carbon Fibre fuse box cover and aircon pulley cover, the engine bay was looking a bit better... still not great! The addition of an Alpine x001 Ipod only headunit also tied in nicely with the blue illumination of the dials etc... and I still cant find a replacement centre cap!

Below : (pro shot images, modifiedni.com and crusnig.com)

9.jpg

10.jpg

Feb 2008
Ai Autosport RR day (298.5bhp / 235 lb/ft) not bad for a near standard RB5! - after the RR day the power bug hit. HKS BOV and P1 TMIC custom painted were added to the engine bay as well as having the standard RB5 wheels colour coded in 86F!

below : (AI RR Day)

11.jpg

12.jpg

below : (HKS BOV & TMIC)

14.jpg

13.jpg

below : (colour coded wheels)

15.jpg

March 2008
the bug for big power has hit

Vf23 turbo from 22b STi
Walbro uprated fuel pump
SARD FRP
Blitz Dual SBC
Blitz 52mm Boost Gauge
Blitz BOV
Autobahn 88 FMIC
Apexi Intake

So much for keeping it standard!!! - all parts are being fitted over march / april, with much help and thanks to Simon (Mr. Sheen) without whom i`d have faced a massive labour bill!!!

All the RB5 badging was removed and refitted with the correct red badging - thanks to Kevin with RB5 #420 for the replacement badges :grinning: oh.. and i also managed to get a complete set of centre caps off ebay! FINALLY!

Below : (td04 and vf23)

17.jpg

Below : (boost controller fitting)

16.jpg

April 2008
Pending free time means fitting of the goodies can resume! STi Carbon strut Bar also added... purely for the bling :grinning: I had initially also removed the Prodrive cat back and fitted a Blitz nur Spec, but the thing was just too bloody loud. So Geoffo from Scoobyireland swaped me his H&S cat back system. Great system, well made and sounds lovely, car also goes a lot better with the 2.5" system over the 3".

below : (Simon fitting the front mount)

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Below : (Blitz Dual SBC and Alpine X001)

23.jpg

Below : (SARD FPR, STi Strut brace, and Blitz BOV)

22.jpg

Below : (H&S rear box)

27.jpg

Below : (full engine shot)

24.jpg

Below : (Larne Car show)

28.jpg

May / June 2008
After waiting 6 weeks to get a set of Aero Guards painted, I gave up and sold them! The car is also now away to a reputable bodyshop to have a bit of a tidy and some early rust treated. This took me so long to decide as the car appeared to have never been painted, and I didnt want to risk going to some back door painter who would ruin a great car. Hence why i didnt use the bodyshop who were meant to paint my aero guards!!

Car is also booked for an ANDY F Ecutek remap on June 12th. This should then in turn make the car run a lot better and at around 1.3 ish bar of boost. with expected power and torque in the 320s.

Some bling added : finally got a stainless front panel cover... FINALLY!

pics to follow

below : (squishy rb5 courtesy of bioforger on Scoobynet, cuz I was missing it being at the bodyshop)

29.jpg

30.jpg

had to post here as i`d too many images in the inital post.. :grinning:

May / June 08 contd :

Late on the 11th June the car arrived back from the painters, sadly missing the headlamps and fog covers as these werent a priority and time was pressing on. Regardless, the paint job (Thanks to Terry Henry @ KRCR) is absolutely awesome! and having had a new windscreen fitted due to delamination of the old one, looks far better

12th June - Andy Forrest Performance Tuning day @ Murray Cars. EcuTEK remap carried out, car now running a max of 1.4 bar, with the turbo achieving 1 bar @ 2800 rpm. feedback from Andy was positive, and any questions I had were answered and explained in detail. I personally couldnt recommend Andy enough, absolute legend and the car is now 1000 better. Blew the BOV vacuum pipe about 2 miles into the journey home, but a quick cable tie courtesy of Scubbay soon sorted that

Stainless slam panel is also now fitted (thanks to grahames @ Rb5oc.co.uk), BOV relocated and the piping reduced in diameter and rerouted.

roll on Scoobfest this weekend for some proper craic and hopefully my headlights will be ready

Stainless Slam Panel :

36.jpg

EcuTEK mapping :

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

still grinning from ear to ear :laughing:

best money i`ve spent in a long time!!!

the painter popped in today with a few photos of the bodywork (96 in total) so i`ll fire a few below and if anyones interested i can link to the complete photobucket folder.

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/olli...nt%20June%2008/

DSC01273.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01342.jpg

DSC01349.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01361.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

DSC01376.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

and another :

14th June 08

with the day being so nice, and finishing work a bit early, I decided to fit the knocklink and some of the engine bay detailing bolts and nuts (sadly i need more... lots lots more!!!!)

knocklink :

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Detailing bolts :

41.jpg

42.jpg

44.jpg

small update - sorry for the continual poor ish pics, for some reason my phone (iphone) always has a haze? even when i clean the lense

Scoobfest 08 (15th June)

First outing since painting, still no lights, but no rust or dent on the rear :grinning:

Excellent day, awesome number of scoobs.. roll on next year

45.jpg

26th June

Headlights are in! looked really odd at first, but now i love em, car looks 110% savage with them fitted. Fog covers are also painted, but i`m waiting to resticker them when I get the chance :grinning:

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

JULY

quick july update here and some half decent pics!

beter front end pics with the morrettes! Fitted prodrive oil cap and battery tie, and sadly had to replace the MAF after only 8 short months! Reclocated the alarm siren into the centre of the bulkhead, and am looking at getting a custom cover made to make it less of an eyesore!

Fog covers refitted and rebadged :laughing:

Tyres have arrived for the P1 WRC 18" Rims :laughing:

and the best of the best, managed to get an STi Genome rear box so the H&S is off this weekend all being well and the genome is getting a new home :grinning:

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Wheels where fitted for the grand total of less than 24 hours, but thats a story in itself, and they will hopefully be back on in the coming week, so i`ll be able to get some more decent pics of them on the car, so in the meantime the one on about page 5 or 6 is all i can give for how they look!

September

Oh my what a month! between a problem with the wheels (7 weeks in total and counting) and an exhaust arriving that didnt infact fit!!! I have actually managed something good tho. The STi genome exhaust was returned to the seller, and the H&S was swapped for a Newage Prodrive Exhaust which is a bit quieter but still nice.

Prodrive exhaust :

54-1.jpg

The STi Genome Gauges had been sitting doing nothing until I gathered up a few bits and pieces. Luckily I came across a STi controller and Boost sensor on ebay, and also ordered a holder, so now I have the gauges in and working, all i`m waiting on are the sensors and sandwich plate for the remaining two gauges.

Gauges fitted :

55.jpg

56.jpg

and with the paintwork finally settled and all the dents removed this week I could give the car a decent cleaning and take some better pics instead of the usual camera phone ones :

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61-1.jpg

ok, my last update fully was september !!! so here we go again, I`ve probably totally forgotten
something, at which point ill add on later.

October

Fairly quiet month this, Jonny (hhh1234) dropped me a message with an offer of a STi Genome rear box, so after not getting the last one, I jumped at the chance to get this!
So off with the Newage Prodrive rear box and on with the Genome!

STi Genome :

62.jpg

November

Firstly, removal of all red badging and replaced with silver (thanks to The Boss @ rb5oc). Freshens the car up no end!

Badging :

63.jpg

66.jpg

ICE was next on the list, with taking on new budget brand FLI at work I took the opportunity to upgrade and few bits and pieces :

Alpine X-001 Ipod / USB Headunit with bluetooth
Alpine Type R 17cm Front Components
Kenwood 17cm Rear Speakers
FLI Dual 12" Passive Enclosure
FLI Mono Amplifier
FLI 4channel Amplifier
Dynamat Xtreme

The build isn`t complete, infact I hate it, the layout is awful and it was fitted in a hurry, so it will be being removed in the near future and rebuilt.

Various ICE :

no pics yet... i forgot!

December

Even with the 18" P1 wheels in the garage their curse continued and the decision was made on christmas eve that they had to go. So up they went and went to a new home shortly after christmas.
After searching all over the christmas break for wheels, the decision was made to replace the P1 WRC rims with Revolution Milleniums in Graphite (thanks to Mr.Sheen for letting me try his, and to Rallysport UK LTD) again in 18".

Revolution Milleniums :

64.jpg

65.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

The addition of a newage STi red stitched handbrake (sadly minus the chrome button) was a bit of an eBay bargain.. finally!

STi Handbrake :

73.jpg

January

With the Revolutions on the car looked more like it was ready for a gravel rally, and desperately in need of lowerage. Tein S-Tech lowering springs were ordered up (to be fitted).

The Alpine X-001 Ipod headunit which had served me well was due for a change, so it was sent on to pastures new and replaced with a Kenwood KVT-522DVD 7" motorized touch screen.

69.jpg

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Very nice. They're a superb driver's car from what I read (never been in an RB5) ..... Evo absolutely loves them. Best colour too (y). Is the teg away?

Gaz

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
OP
OLLIeCrX
Drives
C63 AMG
well my drive used to read

civic coupe, teg, 107

it now reads

teg, rb5, 107.

so the teg stays and is now officially the other halfs to do with as she pleases, i get the rb and the coupe is being sold :grinning:

couldnt bare to let it go in the end ;)

priced evos and skylines, and i`ve loved the rb5 from day one, so thought.. why not... you dont see those everyday

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
Love that colour dude - that other guy won't be amused now he's not the only one in area :p

AP's Rock - you should see the 365mm ones on my old Evo (i'd sell my left testicle for them)

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
OP
OLLIeCrX
Drives
C63 AMG
the brakes are a curse at the min tho andy!

i wannt refurb the rims but i cant get anything in 17" to fit on with the brakes so i need to borrow or buy 18s to keep the car on the road and get a refurb :worried:

but they are awesome for stopping

Twain

RMS Regular
stunning motor lad, lovely colour and i have to admit ive a real soft spot for the old shaped scoobies

geoffo

RMS Regular
Drives
bmx
the brakes are a curse at the min tho andy!

i wannt refurb the rims but i cant get anything in 17" to fit on with the brakes so i need to borrow or buy 18s to keep the car on the road and get a refurb :worried:

but they are awesome for stopping

my winter rims are 16's lol!

my rotas will clear them, u can have them while urs are getting done and i'll put the 16's on for a week mate - no worries.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
OP
OLLIeCrX
Drives
C63 AMG
giraffo.. i could kiss thee!

just need to sort out some cash first, i`ve a few other things i may need first ;)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
lovely ollie, good to see classic scoobies are becoming popular around here, performance bargain of the year lol......great tuning potential with them too, 1500 quid will see you around a genuine 320-330bhp, get a greddy boost controller in, certainly wakes them up along with the cats taken out

good luck with it!

geoffo

RMS Regular
Drives
bmx
lol!

anytime bud - for the rims that is - lou-lou can have my kiss lol!

sure - you no the score man, get the pics up on scoobynet NI for the rest of the boys.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
ah so that was you cruising about last night and i saw you again in bangor today! looks really nice in person!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Excellent choice, one of the best Evos ever made.....Evo rate it higher than a 22b.

Never been in one, but I'm sure it is lots of fun! Brakes are awesome, I would love some decent brakes like those.

All the best with it.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Best colour for Scoobies in general, not just RB5s...

Gaz

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.