In car tech

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I'm guessing this won't be a thrilling thread to the petrolheads on here but as someone who basically doesn't care about the drive itself, I'm probably more interested in the tech of a car. I'll say this as someone who hasn't owned a car made after 2010 but I have been looking at getting a fresher car and think the in car experience is one of the most important parts.

I think Tesla have the tech aspects nailed however what other manufacturers are there that have solid offerings? Interested to hear real life experiences of good UI/UX and any horror stories as well!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Apple CarPlay is probably the single best thing to hit infotainment since sliced CD caddies.

Tesla has the most intuitive system out there although it needs to be as they decided to bin buttons. Step into a Kia, yes, a Kia with HUD, drivers binnacle and some physical buttons, and CarPlay and that move is no longer as clear cut as you’d think.

Integration of blind spot cameras on indicate - which Tesla/Hyundai/Kia all share, Dog/Utility mode are very handy too. App control of climate, car range is very handy.

EVs generally are at the leading edge of this. The Mustang Mach E infotainment was superb as well. BMs latest Idrive similarly feature laden, big screens and responsive.

Wind the clock back a few years and the Kona EV I had was a poor small screen affair. Early Leafs the same.

If you aren’t considering an EV this is going to be little use as a 3 cylinder Corsa won’t be rocking Netflix.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lots of different levels of tech too. I like a digital dash and will be wanting 1 in my next car.

360 cameras, CarPlay, head up display, memory seats etc.

Only negative I have is of Mercedes UI. I had an E Class as a hire car a couple of years ago and the controller and whole system was absolutely horrendous. Always stuck in my head as the worst I’ve used.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Have wireless CarPlay in most of mine; even my 16 year old Golf. A great job and probably all you’d ever need. Some of the latest android headunits are incredible. Full canbus integration you can move some controls to the headunit itself, get on the go diagnostics and pipe peppa pig to the kids screens in the rear, etc.

There’s lots of tech I could be doing without mind you. Lane departure and collision avoidance for a start. Plus as cool as touch screens are, they’re lethal when on the move.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
OP
Kerzo
Drives
Leon FR
I’ve an aftermarket wired CarPlay head unit at the min and agreed it’s fantastic - wireless for connectivity and charging would be the ideal step!

Think I may start to have a look around the dealers as I may just go for a lease for a few years, don’t even care that much about the performance of the car as it’s mainly to toodle about in anyway so that should open up plenty of options

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Interesting thread. As an 80s Knight Rider fanboy, in the late 90s and early 2000s I was fascinated by the type of tech stuff and ICE gear that was starting to make its foray into the car aftermarket - things like DVD players, motorised screens, LED lights with variable switches, all the digitals guages/pods, all that stuff was unheard of a decade before. And then bluetooth for handsfree calls and so on.

Fast and the Furious didn't help :laughing:
Stk0X-.gif

I remember putting a digital fuel to air guauge in my Civic VTi. Was absolutely pointless. Can't remember the brand, but something like this.

1662554436015.png

Of course, like alloys and kits and so on, eventually the manufacturers figured out there was a market for this stuff and most of it is now OEM or at least can be specced as OEM. When you're seeing concept cars with touchscreens and pretty much every car feature digitally enhanced, it doesn't leave much of a gap for anything for the aftermarket to provide.

1662554578903.png

Kerzo

RMS Regular
OP
Kerzo
Drives
Leon FR
What is that dash from? There’s definitely still a need for some physical controls!

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
I'm guessing this won't be a thrilling thread to the petrolheads on here but as someone who basically doesn't care about the drive itself, I'm probably more interested in the tech of a car. I'll say this as someone who hasn't owned a car made after 2010 but I have been looking at getting a fresher car and think the in car experience is one of the most important parts.

I think Tesla have the tech aspects nailed however what other manufacturers are there that have solid offerings? Interested to hear real life experiences of good UI/UX and any horror stories as well!
My latest BMW 630D GT, i bought specifically for the tech over the drive, though the drive is comfy as hell having come from an E92!!
Has a lot of tech i didn't even know existed or hadn't thought of!
  • 360 cameras
  • Apple CarPlay - as an Android user this is useless though :joy:
  • head up display
  • heated memory seats fully electrically adjustable including the headrest (talk about lazy)
  • heated steering wheel electrically adjustable with memory setting
  • soft close doors/keyless entry
  • auto remote parking, can actually have the car park itself remotely without being in it!
  • blind spot mirrors with anti collision warning assist
  • limited self drive and lane assist
  • rear passenger blinds hidden in the door
  • rear passenger reclining seats heated
  • rear seat entertainment
  • tv tuner
  • digital display
  • Wireless charging pad

Kerzo

RMS Regular
OP
Kerzo
Drives
Leon FR
That’s a hell of a spec, the 360 camera is great on the one occasion I seen it!

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Yeah it's pretty cool, easily the feature used the most, as it also has a wide angle front and rear camera, so if you're reversing out of a blind spot you can see, even warns you of cars approaching either side.

The auto auto high beam headlights is both cool and freaky. Believe it uses mirrors to deflect the high beam from approaching or if behind a car. Pretty weird seeing the lights split in the middle of a car in front and perfectly illuminate either side....good knows what people think who aren't aware :joy:

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless CarPlay adapter I can use in the Golf? Fed up using the wire each time.

I’ve seen the likes of Carlinkit and Ottocast but mixed reviews.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Carlinkit seems to be the favoured one in the Porsche forums.

I haven’t bought one myself yet, but if/when I do I will probably go for this myself.

The V4 one seems to get better reviews than the V5

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
What is that dash from? There’s definitely still a need for some physical controls!

I see from 2026 a car won't be able to attain a 5 star NCAP safety rating unless it has these 5 functions as physical buttons, rather than through a touchscreen.

Indicators, hazard warning lights, windscreen wipers, horn and SOS call functions