"independant" engineers report

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
following on from the saga last week, i got a letter from abbey today saying the report i got done on the headed note paper wasnt good enough, and i now need a report done by an independant engineer, (a registered mechanic). basically this just has to include how much it was lowered by, confirm the fitment of the springs/shocks 100% + that it is road worthy + suitable for the MOT.

does anyone know of any garages that would do this, and how much it would be?

even if anybody knows someone who works in a "registered" garage.

lyons = fookin raging. (y)

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
actually it is not a registered mechanic that can do this at all, a garage such as agnews or hursts can help you patr complete the forms, but all they are doing is the safety check side of things, after that it then has to be signed off, or undersigned, by a registered engineer, not mechanic
the likes of some insurance accessors can do this for you, one guy i would look up though to do the ot for you, is a gentle man called carlile bruce, he is an insurance accessor but also does engineer reports!!!

brendy

RMS Regular
ian im still gobsmacked that you are declaring a 30 mm drop, its not exactly decked with the tops of the tyres hiding, you gave it a subtle drop that looks well but not modded.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Nova Bibby said:
actually it is not a registered mechanic that can do this at all, a garage such as agnews or hursts can help you patr complete the forms, but all they are doing is the safety check side of things, after that it then has to be signed off, or undersigned, by a registered engineer, not mechanic
the likes of some insurance accessors can do this for you, one guy i would look up though to do the ot for you, is a gentle man called carlile bruce, he is an insurance accessor but also does engineer reports!!!

so can this chap look at it + declare it safe, or just sign the papers after the garage physically looks at the car?

abbey never mentioned anything about that, they simply said get an engineers report from a registered garage, stating the height of the drop, whether it was fitted correctly + its road worthy, then sign it.

brendy, id just rather keep it all 100%. knowing my luck if i crashed without telling them, they'd find out + id be shafted for a claim.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
Lyons said:
so can this chap look at it + declare it safe, or just sign the papers after the garage physically looks at the car?

abbey never mentioned anything about that, they simply said get an engineers report from a registered garage, stating the height of the drop, whether it was fitted correctly + its road worthy, then sign it.

brendy, id just rather keep it all 100%. knowing my luck if i crashed without telling them, they'd find out + id be shafted for a claim.

this guy does the lot, i will see if i can get a number for you to call tomorrow so i will

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
brendy said:
ian im still gobsmacked that you are declaring a 30 mm drop, its not exactly decked with the tops of the tyres hiding, you gave it a subtle drop that looks well but not modded.

Likewise. Declaring a 30mm drop is just asking for a big can of worms to be opened. Oh, hang on, that's happened already.

skeets

RMS Regular
Drives
330d
i had the same problem from quinn direct. i couldn't find any assessor/garage that would do it so just gave up and paid extra to go with adrian flux.

a few assessors i spoke to said they used to do it but don't anymore cos the insurers had tried to put the blame on them after a crash!

Jason MacQ

RMS Regular
In the case of assessors...i have used George Irwin before Ian sir. He's quite handy, cant remember what he charged. He'll do any sort of valuation, pre and post-repair assessment etc etc. *digs out card*

T: 9082 6060
www.motorassessors.com

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
phoned abbey and an insurance assessor is fine. any joy with a number bibby?

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
Can you either PM me or publish the number for your engineer contact because it will be useful in the near future.

I've just waited 4 days on Quinn Direct sending me out a form before I can get insured. They never mentioned needing a bloody engineers report for lowering !! Looks like I'm going with Adrian Flux afterall

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.