Ineos Grenadier.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I’ve been following the grenadier thread on another forum and the majority of the people who placed their refundable deposits have pulled out. Last minute price hikes etc.

I can’t see anything nice about how it looks personally either. It’s not charming or cool like the original defender. It’s awkward looking. I used to hate the looks of the old defender but since buying the new one I actually prefer old one now 🤔

@Coog there is a big following in America for the L663, loads of mods with small rims, big tyres, lift rods, air lockers, etc. some very cool looking machines getting well used. But I agree not being used for work, just rich boys and their toys doing off roading for IG etc.

It will be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the Grenadier with the new Defender. I’ll bet all the manual ‘old skool’ tech in the world won’t beat the tech of the new defender.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It will be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the Grenadier with the new Defender. I’ll bet all the manual ‘old skool’ tech in the world won’t beat the tech of the new defender.

Which will be more reliable and easier to fix ?

Using BMW drivetrain makes a lot of sense. Stick to tried and tested platform and parts and it makes repairs easier.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Agree, I would have thought it was more a Hurst or Donnelly thing where there would be properly set up workshops etc.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Nobody else wanted it?

I would say it’s this - the market just isn’t big enough

Even with 50 orders from launch day, that’s not huge as those people are your core, excited customers

I would be incredibly surprised if they sold any more than 500 units into NI in the first year and would guess it will be less than 300 which is just not big enough for one of those bigger players to want it

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Only checking this thread now and if you put a picture of it in front of me yesterday, I'd have said it was a Defender!

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
And you still bang your elbows on the doors.😂

Attachments

• inbound7961038286691553736.jpg
    inbound7961038286691553736.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 75

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I still don't get this thing... I think the Harry's Garage video was pretty fair.

Want something old and retro? Buy an old Defender. And maybe tart it up a bit to make something cool.

Want something modern and fresh? Buy a new Defender.

The Ineos tries to be both, but isn't either. I'm sure there will be people buying it, but can't see it being anything other than a narrow niche vehicle.

No idea if that will be enough to keep it afloat, but then I guess Mr Radcliffe could afford to subsidise a vanity project if he wanted to 😇

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
There's one in the antrim Ballyclare area in black. It absolutely looks brilliant. By far the best colour.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Saw one today when I was heading back from Country Garage, it was towing a huge R.I.B

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ah, that must be why everyone is buying new defenders then, and nobody buys a G-wagen Grenadier 😇

Everyone wants an old defender. Until they sit in one. Never mind drive one. Then they head straight for the new one, lol.

leek9

RMS Regular
Drives
GTR FD2R SiR
Ah, that must be why everyone is buying new defenders then, and nobody buys a G-wagen Grenadier 😇

Everyone wants an old defender. Until they sit in one. Never mind drive one. Then they head straight for the new one, lol.
was the Grenadier not inspired by the original defender? I'd imagine nobody was buying the old defender, hence why they stopped making it.

I've not been in one of these but it looks like its a good middle ground between the old defender and the new one.