Ins discounted for car on Sorn?

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
I have sorned the Touareg for a bit due to a financial situation and declared it as such. The car is currently sitting on my drive way with a flat tyre and battery so going nowhere soon anyway. I have kept the insurance running but if I inform my insurance company of the cars current situation, would there be an insurance discount?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It would be nice as 2 of my cars are SORN’d for 6 months of the year but think chances of a discount are slim to none. You could ring your company and ask
If your yearly premium is massive you could cancel it and take out laid up insurance as it’s quite cheap and will cover it for fire and theft, you will not build up any no claims however with chopping and changing, plus some companies charge a fee for ending the the policy early.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
You can get off road insurance, but for all the saving, it's not worth the hassle of arranging it, and then waiting on certificates etc once you want to put it on the road again!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
What about dropping it to TPF&T? If it’s not going anywhere, that would be ample cover.

karl7900

RMS Regular
OP
karl7900
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll just leave it as it is for now. Being Sorned and going no where is already saving me the tax and at almost 2 tanks of fuel at £120 a pop a month. If it's fully insured it will give a bit of peace of mind and it's one less thing to reinstate later on. Plus in theory I can't break it whilst not using it lol. If all goes to plan it will be back on the road by April hopefully.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Mileage is the big factor... but adjustments mid policy aren’t gna be a massive saving I’d have thought

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
It's worth giving them a call and asking as this thread has already thrown in a nice mix of differing and confusing responses. A quick google confirms that some companies out there offer 'parked car' cover and 'stationary insurance' policies for cars not going anywhere/SORNed.

I'd imagine reducing mileage right down with SDP and not commuting, going TPFT etc should bring it down enough to warrant the phonecall and a mid-policy change fee.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Yeah I wasn't sure about replying either with some of the conflicting posts.

I tried to move to a laid-up policy earlier this year, but it ended up being cheaper to move it to a company that allowed 1k miles a year.

If I were yourself I'd price up cover for a laid-up policy, as well as a heavily limited mileage policy and/or TPFT. Then get on the phone to your own insurers and see which one works out the best for you (y)

karl7900

RMS Regular
OP
karl7900
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
It's worth giving them a call and asking as this thread has already thrown in a nice mix of differing and confusing responses. A quick google confirms that some companies out there offer 'parked car' cover and 'stationary insurance' policies for cars not going anywhere/SORNed.

I'd imagine reducing mileage right down with SDP and not commuting, going TPFT etc should bring it down enough to warrant the phonecall and a mid-policy change fee.
Yeah I wasn't sure about replying either with some of the conflicting posts.

I tried to move to a laid-up policy earlier this year, but it ended up being cheaper to move it to a company that allowed 1k miles a year.

If I were yourself I'd price up cover for a laid-up policy, as well as a heavily limited mileage policy and/or TPFT. Then get on the phone to your own insurers and see which one works out the best for you (y)

Thanks for the replies gents. I've never Sorned a motor before so this is a completely new process to me and the whole point is to save me a few quid for 6 months or so. I'll do a bit of research and see what is the best option. What ever the outcome it will be insured in some form as it wouldn't feel right to me sitting there uninsured.

pablo

RMS Moderator
if you want to save cash cancel the policy if there is still a decent chunk left. Obviously if its only a month or two then let it run out, especially if you want the NCB

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Also worth remebering if the car is on finance one of the T&C of the finance is that the car must be insured fully comp.

Peter T2

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
iv two cars sorn at the min, but for all the price i pay for insurance i dont think its worth chasing after......... £330 for both cars , would you bother ?