Insurance advice please

KaraokeMidget

RMS Regular
Drives
Mx5
I have had both family cars on a multi policy for 4 years now but on renewal it was a lot cheaper to split them up and use different companies.

Having had my wife's Golf R insured for 4 weeks with a local company they have come back to us saying that they will not accept my wife full NCB as she has only been a named driver on my policy as the multi car policy previously was in my name so essentially I was insuring both cars and she was only named on her car. This is despite her having 20+ yrs NCB when I took the original Admiral policy out.

Has anyone run across this before and more importantly got it sorted!!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I believe your wife will have lost her no claims history as she's not had a policy in her name for 4 years so she's back to square one. The cut off is two years for most companies. Once it's gone it's gone. Most companies will take into consideration her driving history but it's does not offer the same level of discounts as a NCB unfortunately.

I've been with Admiral on a multi car policy for years myself now but thankfully both cars are mine as I'm building no claims on both of them. Every year though the renewal comes through at more than last year. I phone around, get the best prices for equivalent cover on the two cars then phone Admiral who have always matched the prices I get. It finally came in at more than £100 less than the renewal was this year.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Insurance are ****s.

Although the fact she has been on a policy and there has been no claims...should be evidence enough of a no claims history.

If they don't sort it, tell them to go and F. and take your business elsewhere.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Ask the previous insurance co for a letter stating she's had zero claims etc, my sister was a named driver for a few years and got similar when starting her own policy that was honoured as NCB.

20yrs of her own NCB is gone, but there may still be 4 there

cupraricky

RMS Regular
I have had both family cars on a multi policy for 4 years now but on renewal it was a lot cheaper to split them up and use different companies.

Having had my wife's Golf R insured for 4 weeks with a local company they have come back to us saying that they will not accept my wife full NCB as she has only been a named driver on my policy as the multi car policy previously was in my name so essentially I was insuring both cars and she was only named on her car. This is despite her having 20+ yrs NCB when I took the original Admiral policy out.

Has anyone run across this before and more importantly got it sorted!!

As already said you usually lose NCB after 2 years of not holding a policy. Best option for multi car is a policy in each person's name just retaining NCB for both people.

I've had renewal come in before and was also cheaper to go with separate companies but few phone calls later the multi car usually match it.

You stated she had 20+ years when the policy was taken out. If you found the cert that stated this, along with a letter from Admiral that there were no claims made, then you may be lucky enough to get the to stand over the NCB but it's more than likely at their discretion as its beyond 2 years.

It's kinda similar annoyance to a private car and commercial vehicle insurance. You can carry NCB from a private car to a commercial policy eg Hatchback to a Pickup, but it won't go the other way from memory.

Dave..

RMS Regular
It's kinda similar annoyance to a private car and commercial vehicle insurance. You can carry NCB from a private car to a commercial policy eg Hatchback to a Pickup, but it won't go the other way from memory.
I tried to do that with my Ranger and was told using car ncb wouldn`t apply but that was last year so maybe it has changed now.

cupraricky

RMS Regular
I tried to do that with my Ranger and was told using car ncb wouldn`t apply but that was last year so maybe it has changed now.
My old man used his from p.car to pickup but was informed he couldn't move the other way. Maybe depends on company? Not sure.

KaraokeMidget

RMS Regular
OP
KaraokeMidget
Drives
Mx5
UPDATE
LV have confirmed that my wife has full NCB and have sent a letter to us confirming this and we have passed it to our current insurers.
LV said that it stated on our police the NCB for both drivers and honour that if leaving.