Insurance Claim or Pay For Repair?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm in a quandary about whether to pay for a repair or put it through the insurance. I realise there's no definitive answer to this but as a rule what's the cut off point in cost where you would just pay for it yourself?

Is there any rough way to estimate how much it would affect your renewal for the next 3/5 years?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's no way to know what the increase will be (if any). It all depends on no claims bonus, value of claim, injuries, etc. If it was in/around £500 I'd pay myself. Anything more than a grand then I'd probably get insurance involved.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Haven't got a price yet (only happened last night) but I reckon between £1-2k. Just wasn't sure whether the renewal would be going up by £200 odd per year for the next few years because of it.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
If you estaimate between £1-2k, I'd be looking at putting it through the insurance to be honest.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Shouldn't affect it too much and most insurance companies allow one claim every 2 years before removing your no claims bonus, which is rather bizarre.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Protected NCB ?

Will the repair have the car listed as a Cat X ? anything ?

Value of car vs potential repair etc ?

How much are yearly premiums ?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Protected NCB ? Yes, means **** all but as they ask about non fault accidents anyway.

Will the repair have the car listed as a Cat X ? anything ? No

Value of car vs potential repair etc ? 8% or so

How much are yearly premiums ? £350 odd

scub

Banned
i had a claim for several (9ish) grand put in against my insurance & i only lost 30% of my full ncb . & that was an evo .
i'd say fire it through !

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
It was Mrs Lyons. Not going into it but, she's having bother at the minute and doesn't need this, so just want it fixed asap so she doesn't worry about it.

I agree. Accidents happen and there is nothing to gain from making your other half feel bad or drawing out the process in any way (been there). Get on to comparethemarket etc.. and do a few 'dry run' searches for insurance premiums with a declared accident, see whats coming up. If you are at a point where you're bleeding money constantly (new house expenses etc..) then not having a £2k outlay right now might be the best thing to do - so go insurance, even if you do pay a bit back over a higher premium for a few years. i can't see your premium jumping that much. If the repair estimate is 1k, then when you factor your excess in, it might be better to pay out of pocket.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
£1k+ goes through the insurance. I'd say it's unlikely her premiums would go up by £200 a year which would break even depending on excess. Don't forget insurance tax went up recently, so we're all likely to have a higher premium next time round anyway :sob:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I agree. Accidents happen and there is nothing to gain from making your other half feel bad or drawing out the process in any way (been there). Get on to comparethemarket etc.. and do a few 'dry run' searches for insurance premiums with a declared accident, see whats coming up. If you are at a point where you're bleeding money constantly (new house expenses etc..) then not having a £2k outlay right now might be the best thing to do - so go insurance, even if you do pay a bit back over a higher premium for a few years. i can't see your premium jumping that much. If the repair estimate is 1k, then when you factor your excess in, it might be better to pay out of pocket.

Need to check excess tonight. Its low, either £0 or £150 odd.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Just right to get it sorted now, like you say no point pointing fingers and dragging it out. I would say youll be grand come renewal or if you go else where.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.