Insurance Companies With Fully Comp ROI Driving

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Following on from the green card topic, in the same conversation with Directline I also discovered that I'm only covered third party while travelling outside the UK (i.e, any time I have driven to Dublin over the last 11 months, or any time I plan to in the next month). Fully comp is free for 1-3 days but I need to notify them each time. For 10 days cover while I'm away on holiday its £44!

I just assumed all companies these days covered you on the same level regardless if you were driving sown south or in NI. I assume everyone elses insurance covers you fully comp when down south? If so, who are you with? Mine is up next month so this is something I need to be factoring in.

Airhead

RMS Regular
I'm with LV. They used to charge extra for comprehensive European cover (about £20 p.a.) but now seem to include it automatically.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Must look into this myself, I cross over regularly and my insurance is up at the end of the month too

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Most companies only provide you with the minimum insurance cover required by the law of that country when you travel to a different country unless you notify them in advance. I've alway let them know and its never cost me a penny.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers.

Also just realised this morning that directline haven’t recovered the costs of my accident in December yet, so I’m probably not going to be able to move elsewhere this year as I’ll technically have an outstanding claim 😡

J55NI

RMS Regular
I've got an autoline policy with marker study being the underwriter and it looks like my cover for ROI isn't comprehensive either. Only renewed 2 days ago so maybe worth checking who does provide comprehensive cover as standard now.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I assume I’m the same,with direct line also ?
Received it yesterday but never looked at it

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
@Lyons Lee works in the south full time so I'll ask her who she's insured with. She's not home until Saturday though so if you aren't sorted by then remind me

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
I clarified with Direct Line before and they told me driving in the South is the same as the north because of our unique situation here. Other EU countries are minimum cover though.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I clarified with Direct Line before and they told me driving in the South is the same as the north because of our unique situation here. Other EU countries are minimum cover though.

Seem to be conflicting reports from them.

Anyone actually checked the documents?

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That is totally ridiculous! I'm down constantly, I'll not be paying £40 a go anyways.

My broker still has no clarification from my insurer as to what the story is.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
@Lyons she called me there and said she's with Hughes. They've her covered FC in both UK and ROI plus business miles which are the same. She said it was slightly dearer than the lowest quote (I can't remember how much but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for insurance) but she want with them as they stated that on the policy. She's down there 5 days per week including staying away so she wanted it to be right.

She's asked them about the green card issue too and they said they weren't doing anything until a decision was made on what way Brexit was going. They will be waiting a while lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers Connor. Mine isn’t due up until the end of April but I’ll certainly get a price from Hughes.

I’d only be down a handful of times a year so I’d need to weigh up paying more against paying Directline for when I go down for longer than 3 days.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Called Autoline this morning to check the fully comp thing. They called the underwriter and came back to say F.C. cover in all EU countries. 3rd party if I head to Turkey or similar.

I’ll be checking the small print of my docs when I get home though, as would be up and down to Dublin a fair bit.

Airhead

RMS Regular
From my LV policy documents:

Where am I covered?
✓ Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
✓ When driving in EU countries and those following EU Directives, you'll have the same level of cover as you have in the UK for up to 180 days
per policy year provided your car is registered and normally kept in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or Channel Islands

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
That’s how it should be to be honest.

I’ll maybe give Directline a ring and try and get someone else!

J55NI

RMS Regular
Rang autoline myself there and literally different answers from different branches.
Woman I spoke to last says North and South is fully comprehensive for the duration of policy and if needed a green card will be issued. Guy before said driving down south is thrid party fire cover only. Frustrating to say the least not knowing exactly where you stand.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
So looks like Autoline lied to me on the phone this morning. My insurance is with MarkerStudy. Upon looking at their supporting policy documents it states:

What is covered

Legal minimum insurance

While the insured vehicle is in:
• any country which is a member of the European Union (EU); or
• any other country in respect of which the European Commission is satisfied has made arrangements to meet the requirements of Article 7(2) of EU Directive 72/166/CEE relating to civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles this policy provides the minimum level of cover in respect of liability which is legally insurable in the country concerned. This legal minimum insurance does not include cover for loss of or damage to the insured vehicle.

Full policy cover
In addition to the legal minimum cover shown above, this policy is automatically extended to provide the cover shown in your Policy Schedule to any member country of the EU and also Andorra, the Channel Islands, Croatia, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland provided that:
• you notify your insurance intermediary before your journey abroad; and
• the use of the insured vehicle abroad is limited to no more than 30 days in total in any one annual period of insurance; and
• you or any permitted driver are normally resident within the geographical limits of this policy; and
• your visit abroad is for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

Also interesting to note that commuting is specified on my policy but clearly if I go visit a client site in RoI I am not covered.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.