Insurance Companies With Fully Comp ROI Driving

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’m glad I’m not the only 1 caught by this! At least it’s flagged now before an accident.

J55NI

RMS Regular
So looks like Autoline lied to me on the phone this morning. My insurance is with MarkerStudy. Upon looking at their supporting policy documents it states:

What is covered

Legal minimum insurance

While the insured vehicle is in:
• any country which is a member of the European Union (EU); or
• any other country in respect of which the European Commission is satisfied has made arrangements to meet the requirements of Article 7(2) of EU Directive 72/166/CEE relating to civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles this policy provides the minimum level of cover in respect of liability which is legally insurable in the country concerned. This legal minimum insurance does not include cover for loss of or damage to the insured vehicle.

Full policy cover
In addition to the legal minimum cover shown above, this policy is automatically extended to provide the cover shown in your Policy Schedule to any member country of the EU and also Andorra, the Channel Islands, Croatia, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland provided that:
• you notify your insurance intermediary before your journey abroad; and
• the use of the insured vehicle abroad is limited to no more than 30 days in total in any one annual period of insurance; and
• you or any permitted driver are normally resident within the geographical limits of this policy; and
• your visit abroad is for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.

Also interesting to note that commuting is specified on my policy but clearly if I go visit a client site in RoI I am not covered.

She claims mine covers me comprehensively in the south for any period of time and not just the 30 days it shows above when they are informed. She also said I didn't need to inform of southern travel but just the likes of Spain, France etc :/

Edit : I've asked for email clarification exactly what's covered for ROI driving from autoline once they have checked with marker study..

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken

J55NI

RMS Regular
@RMS Jonny Bottom of page 4 here doesn't agree with what they are telling us verbally. https://resources.markerstudy.com/media/1316/misl-private-car-key-facts-0818.pdf

Also, on the assumption that we do crash out of Europe, and knowing insurance companies try everything to get out of paying out, I'm not going to accept a verbal comment from a third party intermediary of "aye sure it's fine"!!!!

Yea that's why I've requested it confirmed via email so I have something in writing. It's a bit of a mess and not clear at all.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Update.

@Andy888 See below which is an endorsement listed on my marker study certificate of insurance .

E551 USE IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
The geographical limits mentioned in your policy allow your vehicle to be used in the Republic of Ireland with indemnity as if it were in the United Kingdom.

From the above I would class this as comprehensive cover to drive in the Republic then? As currently my United Kingdom cover is comprehensive :grinning:.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Nope! I only have codes 652, 653, 656, 658 which relate to general stuff like excess and protected ncb. No mention of countries anywhere on the cert.

Can't actually find the paper schedule they posted out, so atm can only by the pdf docs on Marker Study website.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Nope! I only have codes 652, 653, 656, 658 which relate to general stuff like excess and protected ncb. No mention of countries anywhere on the cert.

Can't actually find the paper schedule they posted out, so atm can only by the pdf docs on Marker Study website.

Strange, when did you take the policy out? Mine has the above a E551 which states the above about use in the Republic but this is displayed on the schedule part of the paperwork.

J55NI

RMS Regular
@RMS Jonny Took it out Sept 2018.

Hence my reading of this doc which appears to be applicable to everything Sept onwards according to their site https://resources.markerstudy.com/media/1326/misl-private-car-policy-book-0818.pdf

I seen that but the actual schedule document they have enclosed with the certificate says otherwise so maybe worth double checking your actual certificate/schedule?

See screen shots below which you can see states the use in the Republic and the definition of it.

20190321_220319.jpg

Last edited:

J55NI

RMS Regular
@RMS Jonny Nope - definitely only have those first 4 starting with a 6! Thank you for that screenshot though - very helpful - will be emailing tomorrow!

No problem autoline don't seem to clued up themselves regarding it. To the best of my knowledge and from reading the definition they give it looks like the cover in the Republic is the same as the UK so comprehensive?.

Ps that policy was only taken out last week so maybe they include that now but didn't before when you took yours out?

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
For future reference, Adrian Flux have a similar arrangement whereby you can benefit from the same level of cover north and south. It’s one of the questions I asked when renewing this year. The guy went to great lengths and came back to me to say it was all ok.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
For future reference, Adrian Flux have a similar arrangement whereby you can benefit from the same level of cover north and south. It’s one of the questions I asked when renewing this year. The guy went to great lengths and came back to me to say it was all ok.

Have you that written down somewhere though? Guy in Autoline told me this morning it was fine yet any docs I have in my possession clearly disagree with that. Whereas you can see Jonny with the same insurer has it explicitly documented on his policy that cover in RoI is same as UK.

I wouldn’t be taking anyone’s verbal word for it, when the entire value of your car is at stake.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Have you that written down somewhere though? Guy in Autoline told me this morning it was fine yet any docs I have in my possession clearly disagree with that. Whereas you can see Jonny with the same insurer has it explicitly documented on his policy that cover in RoI is same as UK.

I wouldn’t be taking anyone’s verbal word for it, when the entire value of your car is at stake.

Good point. I didn’t actually proceed with their offering in the end up but I would have insisted on it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.