Insurance for "modern classic"

Bryan

RMS Regular
I'm looking at buying a 2003 E39 530i msport auto. I have been a customer with Autoline insurance for many years but unfortunately they have said the cars all need to be 20+ years old to qualify for classic insurance (despite the fact I have had a 2002 306 Cabriolet insured for the past 3 years). What options are there for insuring such modern classic cars? I'm only going to be using the car for weekend trips and it is going to be doing very little miles.

adzy

RMS Regular
Drives
Glanza V
Limited mileage policy? Prob need to get a policy with an agreed value if its a future classic

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I'm looking at buying a 2003 E39 530i msport auto. I have been a customer with Autoline insurance for many years but unfortunately they have said the cars all need to be 20+ years old to qualify for classic insurance (despite the fact I have had a 2002 306 Cabriolet insured for the past 3 years). What options are there for insuring such modern classic cars? I'm only going to be using the car for weekend trips and it is going to be doing very little miles.
I had the same issue with Autoline trying to insure my DC5 (although at the time it was 15+ years for non-imports, 20+ for imports) and found Greenlight very helpful. I think Greenlight have (or used to have) a policy of not insuring BMWs for some reason, but worth checking. There's also Adrian Flux and Footman James too.

My policy covers me for 3k a year (I get nowhere near that) with a number of basic mods included if I wanted.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Tried Footman James with all the details and they declined to quote online. Will give Adrian Flux a go. Really don't want to take out more insurance though I already have it coming out of my eyes.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Got a quote from Adrian Flux for £447 for 3000 miles. Was hoping for about half that price given the low miles which is genuinely enough for all it will be used. Doesn't look like the E39 dream will become a reality afterall.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Give Pace Ward a call, that's who I'm with on the M3. They got me a limited mileage policy much cheaper than any alternative company could.

Tried these guys and CIP insurance both of whom declined to quote. No one wants to know...

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I tried everywhere myself with the impreza and because it was an import nobody wanted to quote. Admiral on a limited miles policy was the best I could get for a few years until this year when it reached 20 year old and autoline accepted it on a classic policy.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Just go to Admiral Multicar, that's what I did after getting fed up trying to insure different cars and all the hassle with it.

KevM

RMS Regular
My E55 was under 20 years old for both the years I insured it, both were with Autoline. It would have only turned 20 this month.

The cheapest classic I had ever insured, was the Golf GTi on an Admiral multicar. I think it was £94 or something silly

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Admiral is £544.32 for 6000 miles. I think my biggest problem is that I don't have a proper actual car due to having a company car however I do own a van, motorhome and many other cars but this doesn't matter. No accidents, claims or convictions.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Admiral is £544.32 for 6000 miles. I think my biggest problem is that I don't have a proper actual car due to having a company car however I do own a van, motorhome and many other cars but this doesn't matter. No accidents, claims or convictions.
😯I'm not paying much more than that for all 3 cars each of which have a lot more value than an E39 M5 never mind a 530i

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
It's become a joke. I pay £350 odd for van insurance, £300 for motorhome insurance, £300 for classic insurance (covers like 4 or 5 cars) and the wife's car is £300 odd as well so it's just not justified for a weekend car to cost more than any of those.