insurance help - 2 cars 2 policies?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

b_fast

RMS Regular
Drives
coupe
Hi Everyone,

looking for abit of advice before i start speaking to the insurance companies.

Background: i have been living in England for the last 8 years, i currently have a vehicle and a fully comprehensive policy with COOP. Vehicle is registered in my name and insurance is registered at my English home. I am the only person driving the vehicle.

due to a shift in Job responsibilities, i now need to spend half of my time in Northern Ireland. Obviously I need transport so I will need to get a car for Northern Ireland.

What is the best way to do this? does anyone have any experience in this? is it as simple as taking out another policy with the same insurer for another car at the address in Northern Ireland? can you have multiple car insurance policies for different cars?

Thanks in advance.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
My current insurer allows me to travel as I want - If I will be away from "home" for more than 90 days I have to notify them only. I thought this was pretty standard no?

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
My current insurer allows me to travel as I want - If I will be away from "home" for more than 90 days I have to notify them only. I thought this was pretty standard no?
He is talking about a second car though....

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Hi Everyone,

looking for abit of advice before i start speaking to the insurance companies.

Background: i have been living in England for the last 8 years, i currently have a vehicle and a fully comprehensive policy with COOP. Vehicle is registered in my name and insurance is registered at my English home. I am the only person driving the vehicle.

due to a shift in Job responsibilities, i now need to spend half of my time in Northern Ireland. Obviously I need transport so I will need to get a car for Northern Ireland.

What is the best way to do this? does anyone have any experience in this? is it as simple as taking out another policy with the same insurer for another car at the address in Northern Ireland? can you have multiple car insurance policies for different cars?

Thanks in advance.
you can have 2 separate policies - 1 for each car or a multicar policy. The multicar policy may not allow 2 addresses though - I think all car have to be at same address. So most likely it will be 2 separate policies. No issue with this

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Your ncb don't count for second car. You got to insure the second car as 0ncb from my experience last month.

Some advisors were giving the wrong false info saving you can...But after speaking to their supervisors you can't.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Your ncb don't count for second car. You got to insure the second car as 0ncb from my experience last month.

Some advisors were giving the wrong false info saving you can...But after speaking to their supervisors you can't.

I had several companies mirror my no claims discount. Greenlight and Flux both did this on the Scooby. Was very handy as it's not old enough to be a classic yet (next year) so was just a normal policy.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

They can mirror it if they wish to give you discount, but of course you can't earn extra NCB on the 2nd car, so you won't have say 2 cars with 6 years no claims and if you change insurer, they won't honour the NCB on the second vehicle, however, they can choose to mirror that of your first car if they wish if you take the 1st car to them also.

Basically the NCB is on the policy, not on the car and not on the policy holder.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I had car insurance with direct line, I got a van and they mirrored 4 years ncb on to my commercial insurance, the van was also at a different address. When I left after the year they issued a 4 year ncb to the new insurer.

PDK

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E92 & E46
We’ve multi car with direct line. Fancy something ridiculously impractical for the odd occasion.
Called them yesterday to enquire if they would mirror my NCB - got a flat nope...

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Try speaking with Autoline for the NI car. They have always been good with me. Used Admiral multicar in the past too and had no issue with cars being kept at different addresses either. Essentially they have one correspondence address for where I live and different addresses for where the cars are kept. Never got into detailed technicalities about whether mirroring NCB or not, but essentially both companies just sorted it out that all our cars were very affordable to cover and located in different places.

Reactions: PDK

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Basically yes, my Father in law done this as he was a lorry driver, officially lived here but lived with his wife in Manchester. He used admiral multi car, £700ish for an Audi A6 and a Volvo S60 but registered at their respective addresses.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I was stroked then lol

£397 to insure the volvo 2.4derv on 0ncb wasn't bad tbf thou

Yep, you got stroked, lol :innocent::joy:

At the end of the day, the whole "NCB" thing and all the rest of it is a complete smoke screen and basically irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is the number at the end. Whoever comes up with the lowest number gets the business. How they got to that number is up to them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.