Insurance options for stored car over winter

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Anybody any experience in this?

My M3’s insurance is due to expire on 1st November and I had 12 years NCB.

I am looking to get a winter daily and store the M3 in my shed until spring.

Whats the best option in terms of insurance?

Was thinking maybe insurance a daily using the NCB of the insurance of the M3 then getting SORN’d/Laid up insurance for the M3 over the winter then insuring it again once spring comes.

Has anybody any experience with sorn’d insurance or should I just bite the bullet and take out to fully comp policies?

Cheers

Last edited:

RevT

RMS Regular
Just put the daily on a multi-car type policy along with the M3? That’d be the handiest.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I just used to go FC on the Subaru and the daily until this year it became eligible for a classic policy. It can be a melt chopping and changing swapping over between laid up and normal insurance every spring and winter and swapping the NCB etc ,the cost difference wasn’t worth it. Unless you are paying a fortune to insure the M3 that is.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I just let it run as normal. May as well and gives you a back up car should your daily get Covid19. Least your fully covered no nonsense

Charlieboyoo

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3 bmw M240i
Anybody any experience in this?

My M3’s insurance is due to expire on 1st November and I had 12 years NCB.

I am looking to get a winter daily and store the M3 in my shed until spring.

Whats the best option in terms of insurance?

Was thinking maybe insurance a daily using the NCB of the insurance of the M3 then getting SORN’d/Laid up insurance for the M3 over the winter then insuring it again once spring comes.

Has anybody any experience with sorn’d insurance or should I just bite the bullet and take out to fully comp policies?

Cheers
[/QUOTE

footman James does laid up insurance,if I’m correct the car just has to be garaged for the period of time you have it off the road.Or if it’s eligible for classic car insurance get a classic car policy.They told me as long as the car is garaged I can bring it out whenever I want.