Insure a project car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tigger 172

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Clio 172
Silly Question...:party:

Do you need Insurance, Tax or MOT on a car that you're not going to drive?

Explanation...
Thinking of getting a basic car (don't know what) and doing all the mods to it myself in my free time ;) Will probably use the car as a track car or something

BUT
The thing is - I don't have a garage or even a driveway I could keep the car :worried:

I park my own in an open space at the front of the house

If I bought a car to do work on - what legal precautions would I need to take?

Thanks in advance
Trev

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
If it's being kept on a public road it definitely needs tax. To tax it you need an MOT. I don't think it needs to be insured - unless you plan to drive it.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
If its at the front of his house he could sorn it and then tax etc when its ready yes?

Graphic_chick

Drives
pug 206 LX
DCi Tigger said:
Silly Question...:party:

Do you need Insurance, Tax or MOT on a car that you're not going to drive?

Explanation...
Thinking of getting a basic car (don't know what) and doing all the mods to it myself in my free time ;) Will probably use the car as a track car or something

BUT
The thing is - I don't have a garage or even a driveway I could keep the car :worried:

I park my own in an open space at the front of the house

If I bought a car to do work on - what legal precautions would I need to take?

Thanks in advance
Trev

you definatly need tax, never seen the advert? 'even if your car is off the road, the tax database will find you! lol '

sounds like you need one of these....

in the middle of this........
countryside.jpg

(y)

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
sideways_always said:
If its at the front of his house he could sorn it and then tax etc when its ready yes?

am no ...if its sorn's it OFF ROAD.....needs to be taxed just ...the ****s will fine you otherwise ..

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
thats exactly true, if it is sorn, and the wheels are off it and it is on bricks, they cant come round and take it away so they cant, they tried to lift a mates car but couldnt for this reason, and no not cause it couldnt be lifted on the flat bed, as they had a crane on the lorry, but cause by it sitting on bricks and having no wheels, it proved it was not being used and was staying stationary, and about 1ft off the road also for that, but lol he lived in a culdesac, dont think you could get away with storing it on bricks on the motorway lol

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Any OAP's in your street that dont have a car? You could ask them nicely if you could park your Clio in their drive!

big cyril

RMS Regular
Know any friendly farmers that would let you have the corner of a shed?
Especially if is going to be used for track days etc only.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Then there is the problem of how to get it to the track unless you have a trailer and something big enough to tow it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.