Insuring two cars?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Hello,

I am currently driving a Ford Focus, and have fully comprehensive cover with HIC (I'm the policy holder). I want to change for an Ibiza Cupra, and although HIC will not cover me on it, Admiral will.

In order to get a refund off HIC for the remaining 8 months insurance on the Focus, I have to send them the insurance certificate for both the Focus and the Ibiza - meaning that I will need to take out a policy on the Ibiza before I can cancel the insurance on the Focus.

And thus, I would end up being the holder of two insurance policies for two different cars, for any time of up to a month or so (by the time I get the Focus sold, etc!)

Are there any legal implecations for this, as me oul boy is convinced it is illegal to have two insurance policies?

Rob 8)

pablo

RMS Moderator
if its only temp Id do it.

dont know why HIC want it tho - none of their feckin business.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
I know, stingy bastids! Cant understand it myself but thats what they said today on the phone.

So, is it illegal or not?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
exactly...u cud jus take ur car off the road an not need the insurance or sell it...wat odds if ur gettin new policy elsewhere?

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Focus needs to be insured for people to test drive it though! Not to mention getting it back from Scotland..

big cyril

RMS Regular
There is no reason why a person can't have as many insurance policies as they want.
I have two policies in my name and the missus has another of her own.
I can't see why HIC needs to see the new certificate before giving a refund - seems like a case for the ombudsman!
This makes it a bit tricky as I imagine you have a ncb to transfer and so the ncb will be on both policies temporarily.

TheLarneMan

RMS Regular
Drives
205GTI GolfR
There's no problem having 2 policies - I had 2 last year and have 2 this year.

HIC are being awkward. All they need to know is that you are cancelling your policy with them. The reason why is none of their business. They should only charge you an admin fee of £10 or so. They'll also need to send you your proof of NCB for your new insurer. What does it say on your contract with HIC about cancelling a policy?

If I were you, I would demand the policy is cancelled. Speak to a manager. Speak to his manager. Cause a fuss!!!

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
You can definately hold new policies, but it could be a bit of a struggle transferring NCB from HIC to admiral, if you still have the HIC policy running. Your NCB is only valid for 1 car on one policy, and not across all your cars.

raistlin

yeah thats right. the NCB only will affect one policy- the other will have none.

is there no way of insuring two cars on one policy though????

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Right cheers all, I think I have no established the only problem with having the two policies is that I can only use the NCB once - bugger! :x

Can't see why HIC are being so thran. Must have a read at my terms and conditions, as pointed out above.

Other than that, is it worth the hassle of going to the ombudsman?

is there much differance between the 2 insurance groups

Focus is grp7, Ibiza is grp15 :lol:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
RIGHT, lol just rang HIC and things are on the up.

I think the reason they want to see the Ibiza insurance, is to prove Im not just swapping/cancelling my insurance with them for no reason.

So, they said today that I can cancel the Focus insurance and put my refund on hold, and I will get it back when I have the Ibiza insured. Such a bloody hanlen but hey its worth it I suppose :lol:

big cyril

RMS Regular
problem is you arent meant to use the same ncb on 2 policies.

I agree with that - when I started my second policy it had to start from scratch with no ncb at all , even though there was a full ncb on the first policy.

Some companies will allow you to insure a second car temporarily on the one policy eg for a fortnight.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
pablo said:
dont know why HIC want it tho - none of their feckin business.
thinking that, pretty weird......just tell them your cancelling your policy and want refunded, fek them!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.