Interesting car £3k

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PieMan1

RMS Regular
Wanted ,

Something interesting "left field"
3K Max.
I'd like a mk4 gti, octavia vrs ( I've seen the one in classifieds ) Something along them lines? open to suggestions . no 1.5dci Clios or anything like that lol.

Cheers.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Clio 182
EP3 Type R
Golf GTI Mk5
Renault Megane 225 (@Cro)
Mazda 3 MPS???
Ford Focus ST?? (2.5T version?)
Volvo C30 T5?

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
I'd of honestly thought the majority of them cars mentioned are out of the 3k budget?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Had a quick look there on autotrader and there are plenty of:
  • Clio 182
  • Vauxhall Corsa and Astra VXR
  • Mini Cooper S
  • Ford Fiesta ST and Focus ST
  • Audi 8P 2.0T and 3.2 V6
  • Honda Type R FN2 and EP3
  • VW Golf GTI
I put a budget in of £3500

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
Mini Cooper S gets my vote... bought a R55 Clubman S at the right money for something different and it’s starting to take shape now.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
one of my favourite cars I have ever owned was my Clio 172. So much fun to drive!
Even the base models are good craic. I had a 2004 dci dynamique as a daily and loved it was like a wee go cart. Just a pity I ended up constantly replacing suspension components until I got fed up.

Gambit

RMS Regular
A 3k budget is more like a 2-2.5k budget as you can guarantee you'll need to do stuff to it whatever you buy.

I bought a wee 02 1.8T audi a3 with only 85k for a grand but its literally cost me about another £800 once you factor in servicing, new disks, pads, shocks, springs, bushes, full set of tyres etc and then all trim bits - its 20yr old so a lot of tired stuff on it. Granted it's now sorted but it still shows how your budget can be fairly be clipped - and that's me being thrifty with it and doing plenty myself!

The mk4 gti that @Rossios had for sale was good value given what all was done to it

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Any Mk5 Gti under 3K will be a dose.

CATD/N MK1 S3 could be gotten for that money. I looked at one recently for under £2k but it needed a full respray. It was a sound car other than that.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
There's a nice Mk1 Leon Cupra R on gumtree atm for 3K.

Or This same engine as the Cupra but 4Wheeldrive, I actually owed this car back in 2017. Most of the Mods I done to it still seem to be there.

Last edited:

PieMan1

RMS Regular
OP
PieMan1
Have a car I'll be going to view this weekend. Await updates .

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
A 3k budget is more like a 2-2.5k budget as you can guarantee you'll need to do stuff to it whatever you buy.

I bought a wee 02 1.8T audi a3 with only 85k for a grand but its literally cost me about another £800 once you factor in servicing, new disks, pads, shocks, springs, bushes, full set of tyres etc and then all trim bits - its 20yr old so a lot of tired stuff on it. Granted it's now sorted but it still shows how your budget can be fairly be clipped - and that's me being thrifty with it and doing plenty myself!

The mk4 gti that @Rossios had for sale was good value given what all was done to it
Agree fully. I bought a £3k Focus ST and spent at least the same making it a good car. The next owner spent another £1k fixing bits that needed attention during his six months with the car.

I was fortunate enough not to lose anything on her, as the market for them was strong when I stole it off a lad that had owned it from almost new.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Any Mk5 Gti under 3K will be a dose.

CATD/N MK1 S3 could be gotten for that money. I looked at one recently for under £2k but it needed a full respray. It was a sound car other than that.
Over here or on the mainland? Busting for something that’s not a depressing diesel as a daily

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

Seems like a lot of car for the £.

Gambit

RMS Regular

Seems like a lot of car for the £.

using pics from 2016 in the ad in some instances at least shows he has had it that long

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
A Golf Gti is about as far opposite left field as I can imagine.

I added some of your Wishlist into auto trader and came up with the following:

Fiesta zetec S:

Civic Type R

celica vvti

These are left field options:

properly left field, and buttons - Volvo C70 with the 5cyl engine

Mazda RX-8

Laguna 2dr

CLK350

CL500

Scirocco TSI

BMW 645

But a left field Golf....... nope

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I got my 182 for around your budget. Left field-ish. Great choice if you’re looking for a B road champion.
398BAD54-9B34-4ACE-9DA0-C43AA2C120A5.jpeg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.