Interesting/ decent/easy to run car? 🤔

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
I don't even know if this car exists, but I'm looking for something...

My "nice" car for the last 5 years has been a red mg zt v6 manual with a powerflow exhaust. For 5 years before that it was a red alfa 156 v6 manual with a custom exhaust.
I still have both cars but they really need painted.
So I'm looking now for my next nice car. However I'm thinking it would be nice if it wasn't so hard on the fuel or tax as those have been!

I don't know exactly what my budget is but the dearest car I've considered was a 2011 octavia vrs at 3495 so probably under 4k.
I could just buy a 207 diesel but it isn't "nice" you know what I mean? This is my car for going out places or picking friends up from the airport. Something I can park without worrying it will be stolen when I get back, and can actually be locked! Something slightly quiet inside so I can listen to some tunes.
Over the weekend I've also looked at a few E60s and a Fiat 500 and even another mg or alfa but I haven't found the right car yet.
If I had all the monies I would be already driving around in an alfa giulia quadrifoglio, but I don't!
High on the list might also be a 120d msport, as long as it has Red seats.

I don't know what I want as you can see. Suggestions Please...

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
2008 Renault Megane 175 DCi - I want one!

I have been watching and researching them this last 6 months at least

Loads of different options with them and trim - LUX, LUX CUP and basic - some with pano roofs (but dont come with CUP pack)

Eg the one below looks to be a LUX (leather) CUP (grey wing mirrors)

Can be bought for decent money under £3000 and as low as £1700 with 100-130k miles

1655106692986.png

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini

Loads of different options with them and trim - LUX, LUX CUP and basic - some with pano roofs (but dont come with CUP pack)

Can be bought for decent money under £3000 and as low as £1700 with 100-130k miles

View attachment 364878
Do they come with the Brembos and those wheels as standard?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have also looked at 123 and 125d's but probably stretching the budget

Looks clean but no red seats (123d)

1655115608765.png

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin

There's a silver 118d with red seats at £4175 that's high on the list as well. But I don't trust N47 engines...
Haven't been keen on Renaults for a looooong time but that's actually quite tasty!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Loved driving mine, something about them…they drove really well
Used to see loads around a grand but still not an expensive car, remember Clarkson loved the petrel version, cheap 6 mps for sale atm which would be a nice thing but wouldn't be gd mpg.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I was in the same boat, wanted a cheap and cheerful runabout but a bit of interest about it and managed a white World Series Megane. Was a bargain. Just over 100k , 1.5dci , cruise control , iPod connector and seriously comfy to drive. You may not get a World Series but the Tom Tom dynamiques are as well equipped just no middle exhaust or kit.

You can pick one up between 2-3k and I’ve had quite a lot of these Meganes and never any major issues
44E18623-E65F-4B0F-8318-B00FE5C2DD05.jpeg

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I don't even know if this car exists, but I'm looking for something...

My "nice" car for the last 5 years has been a red mg zt v6 manual with a powerflow exhaust. For 5 years before that it was a red alfa 156 v6 manual with a custom exhaust.
I still have both cars but they really need painted.
So I'm looking now for my next nice car. However I'm thinking it would be nice if it wasn't so hard on the fuel or tax as those have been!

I don't know exactly what my budget is but the dearest car I've considered was a 2011 octavia vrs at 3495 so probably under 4k.
I could just buy a 207 diesel but it isn't "nice" you know what I mean? This is my car for going out places or picking friends up from the airport. Something I can park without worrying it will be stolen when I get back, and can actually be locked! Something slightly quiet inside so I can listen to some tunes.
Over the weekend I've also looked at a few E60s and a Fiat 500 and even another mg or alfa but I haven't found the right car yet.
If I had all the monies I would be already driving around in an alfa giulia quadrifoglio, but I don't!
High on the list might also be a 120d msport, as long as it has Red seats.

I don't know what I want as you can see. Suggestions Please...
Used to own a ZT-T 190+ with a genuine MG xpower exhaust. Wasnt the quickest car in the world and it did about 15mpg but by feck it sounded awesome on over run :cool:

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads

View attachment 364878
That’s an outside the box car and I like it

View attachment 364903
As I said before I loved my 125d saw it advertised recently for big money I messaged him asking did he know it was cat “n” which he didn’t

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
407 Coupe V6?

Laguna Coupe V6?

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
407 Coupe V6?

Laguna Coupe V6?
I already have all the V6s! 406/156/ZT - but doing a fair bit of mileage in them and taxing them isn't that fun any more. Alright for an occasional spin out but not for doing 250+ social (not work-related) miles a week...

In saying that I think I'm going to put the budget towards painting the ZT and then maybe look about something small and cheap to run, and alternate between the two. The ZT does 30mpg on A road drives so it's not completely intolerable, and if I mix that up with a Fiesta tdci at 65mpg every other time then it'll be less strenuous.

Typical man-maths, fix a one car problem by having two cars :laughing: