Interesting people you have bought cars off or sold to

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I've bought and sold a few cars to powder business men 🙄

We seemed to like the same type of cars at a time!

How do you know they were powder business men? They're hardly going to tell you that's what theyre into!

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Not car related but about 10years ago i was buying some used IT equipment for work and purchased it from a company based in Scotland. We had dealt with the company before so everything was paid for upfront and after a couple of weeks nothing had arrived.

Lots of excuses were made about stock not being ready or directors away on business but with some persuasion i got my refund.

Anyway after googling them a few months later it turns out they had been running a money counterfeiting operation. The director had roped in his children and friends to use the counterfeit cash to go to the likes of Currys and buy goods and then resell them online to effectively clean the cash.

Forger told to hand over ÂŁ100,000

and it looks like he was back in the news recently

Man jailed for ÂŁ180,000 VAT fraud

DavyC

RMS Regular
Must have been a blue moon out lol

I'd only ever dealt with him that once and didn't realize it was him until the deal was done.
His health wasn't great at the time tho so maybe wasn't up for doing a lot of smashing.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Never bought or sold to anyone famous, but I did fly to the Isle of Man once for a car and in the tiny plane with about 10 seats, the voice of Roy Walker sitting in front of me was in unmistakeable. Had a brief chat getting off plane, was trying to think of a way to throw “that’s good, but it’s not quite right” into the conversation but that opening never came

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Not quite bought from him, but the Tbops story from Piston heads is one of the best of the interesting car guy stories.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I nearly murdered Alex Higgins one day. I was driving down Sandy Row and he walked straight out in front of my car. Literally got stopped and his hand was on the bonnet, must have been 2" from disaster.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I nearly murdered Alex Higgins one day. I was driving down Sandy Row and he walked straight out in front of my car. Literally got stopped and his hand was on the bonnet, must have been 2" from disaster.
I nearly did that also, not that long before he died actually.

He dandered out in front of me in Shaftsbury sq

56oval

RMS Regular
I did the same to Ross Kemp and Frank Bruno 😂

56oval

RMS Regular
Doubt either would be easy missed!
Ross just waked right out in front of me in Shenfield High Street. To be fair he didn't even flinch.
Frank on the other hand, it was on a country lane and he was out running with his trainer, I came round the corner and they were on my side, jacknifed the car to a halt, the trainer ( and dog) went mental for no reason. Frank was cool. Totally swaying off topic but I was born in his house ( before he owned it) . Parents couldn't afford anywhere to live so they stayed in the servants quarters

Last edited:

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Ross just waked right out in front of me in Shenfield High Street. To be fair he didn't even flinch.
Frank on the other hand, it was on a country lane and he was out running with his trainer, I came round the corner and they were on my side, jacknifed the car to a halt, the trainer ( and dog) went mental for no reason. Frank was cool. Totally swaying off topic but I was born in his house ( before he owned it) . Parents couldn't afford anywhere to live so they stayed in the servants quarters

No shortage of HP sauce in thon house.

RichardVance

RMS Member
Drives
I can make it a hat trick of “very nearly running over Alex Higgins!!” - outside the Crown Bar 🤦🏻‍♂️
By the end he unfortunately looked like a homeless tramp.
Have been on test drives with Norman Wisdom (Supra Twin Turbo, which he wasn’t one bit scared of!!), Christopher Dean the ice skater, Daly Thompson the athlete, & helped deliver a Maserati to ‘Paul’ in Dublin (Bono!! Sadly didn’t meet him tho...)
Drove around Estoril circuit in Portugal in a road car with Natalie Imbruglia.
Also had Jonny Adair (then a Mad Dog) & Seamus Mallon (then SDLP deputy first minister) test drive the exact same GS300 Sport in the Lexus showroom one morning, only minutes apart - place was full of minders, that was tense lol.
Sold Frank Mitchell a Celica yrs & yrs ago, & Paul Clarke 3 or 4 Lexus’.
How’s that for a totally random selection...

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I can make it a hat trick of “very nearly running over Alex Higgins!!” - outside the Crown Bar 🤦🏻‍♂️
By the end he unfortunately looked like a homeless tramp.
Have been on test drives with Norman Wisdom (Supra Twin Turbo, which he wasn’t one bit scared of!!), Christopher Dean the ice skater, Daly Thompson the athlete, & helped deliver a Maserati to ‘Paul’ in Dublin (Bono!! Sadly didn’t meet him tho...)
Drove around Estoril circuit in Portugal in a road car with Natalie Imbruglia.
Also had Jonny Adair (then a Mad Dog) & Seamus Mallon (then SDLP deputy first minister) test drive the exact same GS300 Sport in the Lexus showroom one morning, only minutes apart - place was full of minders, that was tense lol.
Sold Frank Mitchell a Celica yrs & yrs ago, & Paul Clarke 3 or 4 Lexus’.
How’s that for a totally random selection...

I'm still stuck at the Norman-Wisdom-in-a-Supra part, it's like having a mini stroke