Interior Protection - Baby puke, spills etc

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
We're expecting our first kid early next year and in the middle of trying to find the wife a new car. We've been looking at Golf-sized cars as well as a few soft roader types. With the prospect of pukes and spills ahead of us I figure we'd need to plan ahead a bit. Leather seats would be ideal, but properly limits the choice and over-stretches the budget, so whilst doing the rounds in the dealers we've been offered interior protection additions as well as exterior paint.

The paint protection doesn't interest me at all, but the lifetime interior treatments are appealing, although I know nothing about them. I'm a bit suspicious as to whether it's complete guff, but are they worth it, or is there a better alternative? Does it depend where it's done and who does it?

brendy

RMS Regular
We're expecting our first kid early next year and in the middle of trying to find the wife a new car. We've been looking at Golf-sized cars as well as a few soft roader types. With the prospect of pukes and spills ahead of us I figure we'd need to plan ahead a bit. Leather seats would be ideal, but properly limits the choice and over-stretches the budget, so whilst doing the rounds in the dealers we've been offered interior protection additions as well as exterior paint.

The paint protection doesn't interest me at all, but the lifetime interior treatments are appealing, although I know nothing about them. I'm a bit suspicious as to whether it's complete guff, but are they worth it, or is there a better alternative? Does it depend where it's done and who does it?
Exactly how much mess are you expecting? Having had 3 children, their early years are by far their cleanest. Wait till they are 4 or 5 and start spilling food everywhere then either stamp it in or hide it under the middle armrest etc...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
We haven't had a major incident in the car yet and that's even with the Mrs driving :eyes:

Most of the child seats pull apart for throwing into the washing machine. Havent had anything escape the confines of one of those yet. I do have a couple of seat mats down in the Cayenne but that's more to stop the seats marking the leather than anything else. Halfords specials which I guess would contain a decent sized vomit if required.

When the kids get up the years they seem to do some wrecking though.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
We've no clue how much mess to expect I guess so being cautious. I was expecting constant Exorcist-style white liquid messes everywhere so good to know it might not be as bad.

This car will probably be here for a while though so I'm anticipating many years wrecking and smashing. She's had her current Yaris for 13 years and put 150,000 miles on the thing. She'd happily put another 150,000 miles on it if I wasn't making her get something a bit bigger and more practical.

brendy

RMS Regular
I'd say you are being over cautious, leather seats would make life easier should a mess occur, might be worth going down a year to ensure this.
Worst case put a seat cover down then the baby seat on top but honestly, babies don't tend to projectile, it's more a slow molten white lava spill but never much.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The interior protection products are good but there is no skill whatsoever to applying them so just buy them yourself and apply them.

Gtechniq smart fabric and their leather protection are great. Means you can keep it topped up and they aren't expensive. Just buy direct from Gtechniq website.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
We had a proper boking incident when on holidays in Scotland, even with the volume of puke it was still contained within the car seat.

Last edited:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
All as above - A good padded seat cover for the baby seat to sit on (helps prevent indents on seats) and then 99% of any mess is going to be confined to the child seat for the first 3-4 years anyway.

Another seat cover to protect the back of the front seat when you switch them to be front facing and rear tints or a sun blind can be very useful as well.

Spare clothes, cloths and baby wipes on standby but that’s about standard equipment anywhere you are with them (y)

brendy

RMS Regular
All as above - A good padded seat cover for the baby seat to sit on (helps prevent indents on seats) and then 99% of any mess is going to be confined to the child seat for the first 3-4 years anyway.

Another seat cover to protect the back of the front seat when you switch them to be front facing and rear tints or a sun blind can be very useful as well.

Spare clothes, cloths and baby wipes on standby but that’s about standard equipment anywhere you are with them (y)
This, baby wipes are mandatory, Tesco do cheap unscented packs for well under a quid, stock up. Keep spare packs in each car and bag you use. Defo store a spares (wipes, baby grows and any other small stuff like soothers etc) bag in the main car too.

111gsi

RMS Regular
Even with boky babies, all the boke will be on their clothes/in the car seat unless they're seriously ill.

When they're old enough to eat in the car, just don't give them messy food. I found a small tub of Cheerios or similar keeps the kids occupied but any spillage is easily swept or hoovered up. Likewise no drinking while the car is moving. Kids are 10 and 8 now and I've only had to deploy the Vax about twice for stains caused by them.

Some people seem to think you'll need a hazmat suit to drive a family car, but it doesn't have to be that way!

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Muslin cloths by the bucket. Buy loads of them, then buy the same amount again and when you think you've too many, buy a few more packs.

They are the best invention if you have a bokey baby, am sure I had at least 2 dozen on the go when Courtney was a baby.

Thankfully zero incidents in any car I've had, age 14 and Courtney still isn't allowed to eat or drink in my car, may be she'll get me back once she starts consuming alcoholic drinks and pebble dash my car :laughing:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I got my wife the Q5 for those reasons you posted and to be honest, either we are lucky or our son is just tidy.

i bought it with leather in mind, bought rubber mats and boot liner, etc.... but I keep on top of the cleanliness so it hasn’t been an issue in 19/20 months

the mess probably starts when he’s older lol

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Sounds like I've less to worry about, at least not for first few years.

The interior protection products are good but there is no skill whatsoever to applying them so just buy them yourself and apply them.

Gtechniq smart fabric and their leather protection are great. Means you can keep it topped up and they aren't expensive. Just buy direct from Gtechniq website.

Thanks Pete. Perfect. I'll get some Gtechiq ordered, along with a seat mat or two.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
My wee lad is 3 and touch wood I've not had any mishaps, and he eats/drinks in the car

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Congrats and word of advice from my experience with our 18 month old, get a wetvac if you don't have one already and have it on standby! there will be either milk puke or spilt milk or worse at some stage, wetvac has saved our new carpets a few times!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Haha yeah you'd be wiser spraying that protector stuff over every fabric surface in the house :laughing:

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
I've learnt the mess comes from the missus, not the kid.

If I were car shopping now the criteria would be:

Cabin space - rear passenger leg room (don't under estimate the space a car seat takes up)
Boot space - enough for a pram and weekly shop.
Tinted windows

A screen or window between the front and rear to drown out the screaming (just kidding) Our lad hated any car journey for almost a year.
Haha yeah you'd be wiser spraying that protector stuff over every fabric surface in the house :laughing:

Fabric sofa, 18 months later - no spills from the wee one, I've lost count how many from adults

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
only thing I carry in my car all the time is a product we do called Soak up.

if someone pukes sprinkle it on as soon as you can.

it kills the smell along with bugs and bacteria. It then turns the puke into a gel like product which can be hoovered up safely.

works with milk etc too by neutralising the enzymes which end up causing the stink

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5

:joy: I was actually thinking about that when looking at the gtechniq stuff. It’s not as expensive as I was expecting it to be so might try it on the sofa first.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Milk is the worst offender as often get thrown to the floor or other seats. Leather interior is a must if you ask me 😂, far easier kept. But as @big_pete said Gtechniq smart fabric, Gyeon Fabricoat or Aerospace 303 Fabric guard are all very good.

Only had one booking incident in 3 years in the car, as previous mentioned mostly is contained to within the car seat, we had a bit of spillage but if caught straight away is fine.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
I've learnt the mess comes from the missus, not the kid.

You're not wrong. When I clean the car the front passenger side is by far the worst, followed by the 14 year old's behind it and the 3 year old's car seat last!

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
Definitely recommend having @Big Pimp Soak Up product and Zygest , both fantastic for any emergencies.orettt much all you'll ever need and some wipes. The rest is just routine regular cleaning I've found, and I've 3..