Not car related but it is technical what cable do I need to go from wall to tv

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Wall looks like a telephone RJ11 ?

TV is ethernet/LAN etc RJ45.

Not the same.

If the wall socket is RJ45 behind the cover, then just any typical ethernet lead with RJ45 at each end. There are a couple of wiring configs either straight or crossover, but most things arent too fussy these days

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
What’s on the other end of that phone socket? You need to be going TV->Router->Phone line.

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Wall looks like a telephone RJ11 ?

TV is ethernet/LAN etc RJ45.

Not the same.

If the wall socket is RJ45 behind the cover, then just any typical ethernet lead with RJ45 at each end. There are a couple of wiring configs either straight or crossover, but most things arent too fussy these days

Honestly not sure what you mean. Do I need to change the faceplate on the wall?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Sorry still half asleep not explaining well.

The hallway will be your Master socket that the phone line connects to. The one you have pictured is just an extension socket that will be wired into the master.

You can either move the router to the living room and plug the TV into it using a Cat5e cable or leave it where it is and run the cable to the hallway.

They normally recommend leaving the router connected to the Master but that’s only to rule out crap/old wiring in the house.

If neither of those are practical, you can use some Powerline adaptors to transfer the signal from the tv to the hall via your power circuit in the house.

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
So I cant plug the TV direct into that socket in the wall?

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
You can with an RJ45 to BT lead but it won’t serve any purpose. Tv has to go through the router to get internet access.

Last edited:

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
I'm so lost to why that socket is there then as its half way up a wall specifically for behind a TV so clearly be impossible to have a router hanging midair? Hahaa

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I have no idea. Is it a newbuild?

A lot of newer houses will be wired with Cat5/6 for this very purpose but they’ll have Ethernet connections like the one on your tv. Do you have other points like that around the house or just the two in the hallway and living room?

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Yea new build

S
20190616_125343.jpg
o master socket is in hallway which I have the router into

Then there is that socket behind the TV on the wall
20190616_125403.jpg

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
99% sure that’ll just be an extension then.

That Microfilter and the router will plug straight in

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
99% sure that’ll just be an extension then.

That Microfilter and the router will plug straight in
Yea I'm confused then as who would want their router hanging off a socket half way up a wall behind a TV..

Boksic

RMS Regular
Yea I'm confused then as who would want their router hanging off a socket half way up a wall behind a TV..

Surely it was just a wall before there was a TV there, so if there was a shelf instead of a TV then a router could sit there along with other crap? Or somebody might actually plug a telephone in there 😂

Probably be easier posting the model number of the TV and asking how to connect it to the internet to be honest!

Statler

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaguar XF
I'm so lost to why that socket is there then as its half way up a wall specifically for behind a TV so clearly be impossible to have a router hanging midair? Hahaa

Most likely there for Sky TV box.
The socket is a BT one, so no use for connecting your tv.

You will need to use power line network connectors to do this.
They plug into a spare 3-pin outlet, one beside your TV, one beside your router.
They use the power wiring in the house to send a computer network signal between devices.

You’ll need two of them to make the ‘circuit’

Look at these for more info they are fairly cheap and will get you started

scub

Banned
Most likely there for Sky TV box.
The socket is a BT one, so no use for connecting your tv.

You will need to use power line network connectors to do this.
They plug into a spare 3-pin outlet, one beside your TV, one beside your router.
They use the power wiring in the house to send a computer network signal between devices.

You’ll need two of them to make the ‘circuit’

Look at these for more info they are fairly cheap and will get you started

these are the ones I use. router upstairs - TV downstairs. Work perfectly well 👌

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
Yes I have those similar but the TV wireless wont find the 5gz only the 2gz from the extenders so everything is so slow

mark19

RMS Regular
OP
M
Drives
golf
That's why I was wondering if that socket allowed me to connect straight to internet

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I also don’t think you need the micro filter plugged in there as it’s normally built into the master socket on new installations

61_Vert

RMS Regular
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
I also don’t think you need the micro filter plugged in there as it’s normally built into the master socket on new installations

it depends on the master socket as there are two types.

2.4ghz isnt massively slow and should give speeds faster then your internet, unless you are fibre

Last edited: