a-kem automotive

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Just bought some laser to try on a stubborn glass shower door which she can’t seem to get the water marks etc off

That Apple Pay is too handy/dangerous

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
My order arrived yesterday thanks for the extra bottle of scent Ross.

I haven't had time to try anything except clear view and scent. I'm not 100% sure on the stripper scent yet but I think it'll grow on me. Haven't tried grape yet. Clear view is fantastic I hate cleaning windscreens with a passion but clear view makes it a pleasure.

The cars stinking with the farmers all out and about I'll have to get it cleaned and get some before and after.

The only problem is I don't think you send enough triggers i got scent, terminator and hybrid and only 2 triggers.

Martyn

RMS Regular
@Big Pimp - Product suggestion Ross after watching Obsessed Garage on youtube last night.

They are selling a wheel cleaner a bit like Purge but with rust inhibitors in the formula.

This means that after using you don't get as much of a rust build-up on your discs - and hence when driving for the first time after washing you don't get as much of that yellow rust tinge round the inside of your wheel...

They also are selling a clear spray so that if you are not using a wheel cleaner and just washing the wheels with soap that you can mist on the discs after and it does the same thing - stops the discs forming a rust surface.....

Maybe your chemist could analyse the formula and rustle something up?

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
@Big Pimp - Product suggestion Ross after watching Obsessed Garage on youtube last night.

They are selling a wheel cleaner a bit like Purge but with rust inhibitors in the formula.

This means that after using you don't get as much of a rust build-up on your discs - and hence when driving for the first time after washing you don't get as much of that yellow rust tinge round the inside of your wheel...

They also are selling a clear spray so that if you are not using a wheel cleaner and just washing the wheels with soap that you can mist on the discs after and it does the same thing - stops the discs forming a rust surface.....

Maybe your chemist could analyse the formula and rustle something up?
sounds like this: atom-mac - Bilt Hamber

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
20190803_110805.jpg

Got carried away with purge!

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
You are spot on! - thanks for that.....

All we need is it added to purge.
the bilt hamber is applied after you wash, and not on the wheel itself i belive you mist it onto your brake discs etc Haven't used it personally though and I believe you use it every wash

purge you would only need every so often, personally I only use it 3/4 times a year :grinning:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Purge is an acid, even if a weak one. As is every other "wheel cleaner"/"fallout remover"/"whatever you want to call them" on the planet.

So it will corrode exposed metal, such as discs, to some degree.

Even just washing the car without Purge makes them corrode, lol. Or if it sits in/after a bit of rain. Etc. Just life.

Purge doesn't really make it any worse, it is a pretty weak acid already.

Can't see how you can add something as the whole point is that the product needs to be acidic. And being acidic it will corrode discs to some extent.

An acidic cleaner that doesn't corrode exposed metal? Sounds like snake oil to me.

You might be able to use a separate product after but I honestly don't see the point. Discs corrode, and it comes off first time you use them again. Just life.

Each to their own and all that though!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
No, it's basically the same acid as you get in rhubarb. They all are ("fallout removers").

It's a weak acid and pretty safe but enough to attack the mainly metallic dust left from brakes, which then settles on wheels, etc. But without making too much of a mess of the discs. No worse than what you would get anyway just from them sitting wet.

And in the case of Purge, some secret sauce to make it smell better 😇

If anyone actually does worry about a bit of surface rust on the discs, then just cut a piece of cardboard to cover them while spraying the wheels. Then blow dry the discs after washing. And park in a dry heated garage. And never dry in the rain, never mind in winter, lol.

Or just get over it 😇 🙃

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
And when parking up with wet discs, try not to use the hand brake if possible. That way the brakes won't "stick" as the discs inevitably oxidise over night. Or at least not as badly.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
And when parking up with wet discs, try not to use the hand brake if possible. That way the brakes won't "stick" as the discs inevitably oxidise over night. Or at least not as badly.

Have gotten into a car with a wound on handbrake after it sitting for a week or two and the noise of the rear brake releasing is spine shattering!!!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
That’s a really good idea @Martyn and one I’ll definitely speak to the chemist about.

I’m sure as soon as I describe it to him he will know what you’re describing.
I thought Purge was an Alkaline?
It’s pH neutral so neither acid nor alkaline!

as @svensktoppen describes it it’s a form of acid as a base. It’s actually called thioglycolic acid and it’s a really cool but geeky acid which doesn’t do much until it comes in contact with ferrous fallout and then it works it’s magic!

There are a few other carriers etc in it to make it do what it does without the stink but inherently because of the make up of it and how it works, attacking iron around the discs is always going to be an issue.

its one to leave with me and I’ll ask the question!

Thanks as always, and if anyone else can think of anything don’t ever be afraid to make the suggestion!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
That’s a really good idea @Martyn and one I’ll definitely speak to the chemist about.

as @svensktoppen

There are a few other carriers etc in it to make it do what it does without the stink but inherently because of the make up of it and how it works, attacking iron around the discs is always going to be an issue.
Is it not just the water making disc rust ? I rarely use wheel cleaner/fallout remover and my discs still get surface rust.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
OP
Big Pimp
Drives
like im late
Is it not just the water making disc rust ? I rarely use wheel cleaner/fallout remover and my discs still get surface rust.
Yeah, basically anything which gets your discs wet. They are bare metal at the end of the day.

Nothing worse though than that squealing sound when they’ve sat up for a few days!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Yeah, basically anything which gets your discs wet. They are bare metal at the end of the day.

Nothing worse though than that squealing sound when they’ve sat up for a few days!
It's more all the dust that goes round the nice clean wheel when you first hit the brakes.
I highly doubt there's a way round it though , but if there is I'd definitely be interested.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

as @svensktoppen describes it it’s a form of acid as a base. It’s actually called thioglycolic acid and it’s a really cool but geeky acid which doesn’t do much until it comes in contact with ferrous fallout and then it works it’s magic!

its one to leave with me and I’ll ask the question!

Thanks as always, and if anyone else can think of anything don’t ever be afraid to make the suggestion!

Fun fact, purge is awesome, but not nearly as effective diluted 😂😂😂

I tried it at around 1:1 and it hardly made a difference, strengthened to about 2:1 and it's working, but definitely think it's best to leave as it comes!

Instead of developing a usable and finite product, just patent disc bags or some crap like that which you can elasto strap around the disc to keep away any water which can be used each wash and not need replenished 🤔