ireland to nurburgring roadtrip

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
gents, for those that have done this I'm planning on doing it in May. Would this time of year be ok? Also what routes did you take? across England or down and get ferry from ROI?

How many days did yous give yourselves?
I want to take the most scenic routes once I get to France.

Thank you

g

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
May should be fine. Larne - Cairnryan, then drive to Hull. Hull - Rotterdam then about 3hrs to the ring.

That's not the scenic routes but why waste valuable 'ring time!

I wrote a full guide with the various options here: Nürburgring guide

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
its for the scenery really mate. I'm not taking any of the subarus just the a4 which is still fun with 280bhp 3.0 v6 coal burner.

Les Graham

RMS Regular
I did it in 2012 in S2000.
Banbridge to Belfast, Liverpool to Dover, Calais to Ring via overnight in Brussels.
Enjoy it but forget about lap times or you'll find yourself in big trouble or big debt!
My advice having done both the ring and Spa, miss the ring (it's overrated)
Do Spa instead, million times better

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I did it last year. Same route as Cooper. No tolls door to door and a bit of unrestricted autobahn (y)

Next time we are thinking of trying Newcastle to Amsterdam to miss out having to drive down the A1.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
class...cant wait..yea I think that route is best although im sick of driving over the uk..I just want to get to france as quick as possible

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
Done the ring on a bike good few yeas ago... Dub holyhead... Then tunnel...

Couple of years ago did spa in the race car (tows obviously) cairnryan then hull...

IMHO to do 'decent' roads across France from Dover will take you forever.... If you go direct route Brussels can be a ball ache... My advice is to just get there... Soak it up, if you can combine spa on same trip do it.... Two absolutely fabulous pieces of Tarmac, treat both with caution.. I've witnessed first hand pretty bad carnage at both

Marc

RMS Moderator
I have stayed at the Renn Hotel a few times now and it's spotless, reasonable price and literally 2 min drive to the entrance to the Ring car park.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
13 of us went last year and it was cheaper and easier to rent a house. We got one in Adeneau called Auf Dem Hirzenstein. Massive place with plenty of parking.

We left it too late to get anything decent in Adeneau this year. The closest we could get is 20km south of the Nurburgring in a town called Ulmen

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Have talked about this with a few friends for a couple of years now but it's definitely time to bite the bullet and go for it soon! We always wondered on the best way to do it but never even knew the Hull-Rotterdam ferry existed so that changes things!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.