Irish Drag Racing Championship R1 - Bishopscourt

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
so everyone does a run, time recorded which is used for the head-to-head?

Yeah, I had 5 total runs before the semi's so my fastest time would have been taken from it and put into the contending categories so say 9-11s, 12s, 13s, etc...

pablo

RMS Moderator
@56oval I’m sure you’ve heard this already but some suggestions for next time

- it was really hard to see up the strip with the spectator area being so small. Hence people were standing behind the cars trying to line up
- would love to have seen timings on the big screen as each run happened
- the PA wasn’t really carrying well so missed a lot of what was being said

Minor stuff but hope it helps from a spectator point of view. Not sure what you can do about most of it to be fair.

Great to see it though! Fantastic effort.

56oval

RMS Regular
@56oval I’m sure you’ve heard this already but some suggestions for next time

- it was really hard to see up the strip with the spectator area being so small. Hence people were standing behind the cars trying to line up
- would love to have seen timings on the big screen as each run happened
- the PA wasn’t really carrying well so missed a lot of what was being said

Minor stuff but hope it helps from a spectator point of view. Not sure what you can do about most of it to be fair.

Great to see it though! Fantastic effort.
Wholeheartedly agree on all these points @pablo . We are already on it and the next round will see changes made 👍

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I've never been that into the drag racing scene but anything I'd seen was in America and they seemed to go only off the times. It makes more sense that it's first to cross the line.

56oval

RMS Regular
I've never been that into the drag racing scene but anything I'd seen was in America and they seemed to go only off the times. It makes more sense that it's first to cross the line.
Qualifying in drag racing is about times. The quicker you are in your class the higher up the ladder you go. But eliminations and finals is always about first across the finish line.

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular
What an event this was . Hats off to Ben @56oval and the team they smashed it . I had an absolute blast in the bug trying my luck against cars with several times the power and the bug gave them all a damn good fight and done me proud . Was so stoked to run a new PB of 12.49 with the car and to be the first car to get to wheelie here and have the pics to prove it haha . Cannot wait to go back again.

214DCD9D-C11C-4A2A-8F03-31B446443A9D.jpeg
933A969A-FEEA-41D2-A87E-144029A129C9.jpeg

22BA790B-DCAE-4937-9E23-3991AFED97D5.jpeg

I never even got to see @Cooper or @Big Pimp tho did briefly get a chat and catch up with @pablo . Would have like to seen the race with the GR and M3 .
The 911 turbo S @Boydie was driving was simply insane . So mental quick and very impressive to watch .

56oval

RMS Regular
Pimpin like a boss lol
It was awesome. He says hes going to turbo it 😬.

A good sit down with the team this morning.

Changes already made, we will bring in another member of staff to free me up to commentate and observe.

No longer will we hand out tickets in the return road, too many bellends launching it after theyve collected their slips and too many public around the booth.

We want to try and sort a fixed camera over the timing computer display and have that feed directly into the big screen. Its the simplest solution to displaying times for spectators .

Qualifying has to end at 1pm with no exceptions. The request to run until 3pm put a real spanner in the works and everybody suffered when it came to track time later in the day.

A seperate queuing lane for the bikes, they did not get enough runs.

A better recovery plan for stranded vehicles in dangerous areas. Far too slow and and led to a loss of track time.

Some of these will be adressed with promotor, others will be sorted in house.

Spectator access for viewing needs quickly addressed .

Neil@rockvale

RMS Regular

Changes already made, we will bring in another member of staff to free me up to commentate and observe.

No longer will we hand out tickets in the return road, too many bellends launching it after theyve collected their slips and too many public around the booth.

We want to try and sort a fixed camera over the timing computer display and have that feed directly into the big screen. Its the simplest solution to displaying times for spectators .

Qualifying has to end at 1pm with no exceptions. The request to run until 3pm put a real spanner in the works and everybody suffered when it came to track time later in the day.

A better recovery plan for stranded vehicles in dangerous areas. Far too slow and and led to a loss of track time.

Yes all good points and will make an already good event even better .

zafturbo

RMS Regular
@56oval will you put in this thread if you get sorted for juniors to run and what they are allowed to drive please .Was talking to someone last week online but have no idea who it was lol

56oval

RMS Regular
@56oval will you put in this thread if you get sorted for juniors to run and what they are allowed to drive please .Was talking to someone last week online but have no idea who it was lol
I certainly will. We couldnt allow juniors to run in the first round but im working on a junior class. I will keep you posted.

If there are any parents interested in the possibilities of getting their kids into junior dragster i am also in talks with parties to see if we can make it viable.
Liam McDonalds junior dragster was star of the show on Sunday.

IMG_20230326_183341.jpg
IMG_20230326_183515.jpg
IMG_20230326_183325.jpg

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
@56oval can you confirm whether kirky is 1/8th or 1/4 mile please, I was asked a few times on Sunday and been reminded today :joy:

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late

Points I thought about, which I'm sure you guys have thrashed through already, and some have been addressed.

• The 4 lane system was good, but there needs to be a bit more room if someone wanted to shift or swap for example. Cooper and I were able to run against each other as we both took the outside lanes, and I let a guy slip in front of me to ensure there were the same number of cars in front of both of us so we would be down at the same time.
  • A bit more scrubbing area maybe (as thats the only reason I couldn't launch properly :laughing:) also for the bikes, as they were scrubbing the tyres right in front of some cars and covering them in rubber (@Boydie in the Porsche)
  • Spectator viewing further down the line (although obviously not too far down) - will stop the congregation of people all around the 4 lane queue
  • Recovery as mentioned should have been a lot quicker, but also thats where commentator comes into full swing. If people are aware of what was happening its half the battle.
  • I know you have little effect over it, but getting racing going as quickly as possible between runs would make a big difference.
  • the Marshall on the line with the controller - sometimes he was acknowledging the racers with a thumbs up; other times it was lights out
  • During lunch break etc. let people know we have 20 mins off here etc.
But it was amazing. Utterly addictive, and I cannot wait until the next sessions

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
The M5 you were up against in the final is my mother-in-laws neighbour from Bangor :joy: car is a beast, I've never seen something that weighs 2 tons shift so hard. So the 911 must be a proper weapon to have caught and passed to take the victory! Congrats (y)

Do you know him? I see he has a camera, would be great to find out if he got footage of the final

338018057_2355584844611159_8791904757154817936_n.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
Just looking through the spreadsheet of times and its actually crazy how quickly, how far production cars have come and how easily accessable the performance is over the past 10 years.
There was a plethora of 10 and 11 sec cars on sunday let alone 9s from a modified factory porsche.
Even the midfield 12 sec class is jam packed with factory Golfs etc.

Certainly a big change for us over here and its good to see those cars being used in anger.