Irish Drag Racing - Sept 11th, Enniskillen

jonnylaris

RMS Regular
Drives
540BHP M4
Looks real nasty now, prob won't even go now to spectate unless it changes last minute

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Met Office is saying its 50/50 chance of rain up to 1300 with a tail wind (I think on orientation of the runway) of 20-23mph

1662648794302.png

jonnylaris

RMS Regular
Drives
540BHP M4
173 racers and all those activities planned, I feel for Ciaran... although he'll still make the money I guess!

56oval

RMS Regular
Im heading out this afternoon. Meeting with Straightliners tonight and dinner. Will be camping close by ready for setup tomorrow. Ignore the forecasts. This is gonna be a mega event.

Then we can hopefully announce our 2023 plans which is super exciting.

I suggest you curtain twitchers just get on with it 😁

mpowered

RMS Regular
Drives
RB320
Anyone from that part of the world know where around Enniskillen sells SUL?

Got a Subaru mapped on Super from here a few years ago, was told it wasn't much better than normal unleaded. Could be better quality now, this was back in 2020.
There's also a filling station just outside Irvinestown on the Dromore Road that also do super. If you're coming from the east I'd try a fill in Newell stores in Dungannon. Supposedly 98Ron, Richard Bradley recommends it and he's full time running cars on the dyno on it so it can't be too bad.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Anyone from that part of the world know where around Enniskillen sells SUL?
The big GO filling station in Clougher on your way through and then Lilly’s Centra in Enniskillen on your way into town. Just the Belfast side of Tesco, forget the fuel branding, Texeco possibly.

Got a Subaru mapped on Super from here a few years ago, was told it wasn't much better than normal unleaded. Could be better quality now, this was back in 2020.
There's also a filling station just outside Irvinestown on the Dromore Road that also do super. If you're coming from the east I'd try a fill in Newell stores in Dungannon. Supposedly 98Ron, Richard Bradley recommends it and he's full time running cars on the dyno on it so it can't be too bad.

Had grand fuel from both but also possible if they’re at the end of the tanks it’s died a little, found that too. But most my last fills have been from Lilly’s ^^^ and it’s been fine.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Soaking wet but impressive turnout and great atmosphere I thought!

To be fair it was. It pished down all day, but the Straightliners crew had cars running all day and running very well with only a few minor stoppages. And it was just good to see it all happening again. So hats off to all the crew who made it happen
The Porsche 911 and M5 were also putting in some great times.

That said, the amount of eejits clueless as to how the staging lights work, and who didn't listen one bit at the drivers briefing that the return road was to the right...then muppets decided to turn left down a dead end....is strange.

56oval

RMS Regular
Thats a wrap. St Angelos we are out of here.

What a day!!!!
Needless to say it was WET. VERY WET.

I will do a full event summary later in the week but for now i will leave you with my thoughts.

The racers. Absolutely first class. You all turned up en mass for this event. Every vehicle that was scrutineered was on the money, everyone presented their vehicles in fine fettle ready to go to the track.

None of you had to run in those conditions, particularly the bike guys.

However you did, in your droves all day. For that, we are eternally grateful that you went out, stayed safe and put on a show.

The respect for eachother shown at our 2 min silence on the startline was truly humbling, i applaud you all 👏👏.

The spectators, well you had better things to be doing than standing on a soaking wet airfield on a Sunday. However you guys were straight up AWESOME. I came and chatted to many of you and you all gave great feedback under what was testing conditions for everyone.
You are an integral part of the sport and we cannot thank you enough for coming out today 👏👏.
Ciarán Coleman and his team at Irish Drag Racing . Worked their backsides off to make this event happen. Fair lay to you guys. Its been a tough journey to get here and an even tougher day in the process. Be proud of what you achieved.

Stephen Hall , what a guy, woman want him, men want to be him, the go to guy in the lanes, kept things in order all day for our startline crew. Im proud to have you as a friend ☺️

Straightliners UK.

Trevor Duckworth , Paul Cumpstone , Graham Sykes, Martyn Greathead , Helen Greathead .

WHAT A TEAM.

Despite the conditions, they rolled with it, worked like " Leviathans 🤣"

Both Paul and Graham were soaked to the bone by 10am and did not quit until close at 5pm.

The guys proved why they are simply the best timing outfit in the UK and handled the event with their usual aplomb.

It is an absolute honour to be part of the Straightliners team as we head into 2023.

Did we not mention that??? 😁

Yes thats right , as of today. We have a team right here in the country. "STRAIGHTLINERS NI"

More to follow on that later but for now i will sign off by saying thank you to everyone involved in todays event.

You guys and gals are what make us go out and do what we do.

There is no other motorsport like drag racing to bring people together in such a way.

Onwards to 2023.

Ben.
To be fair it was. It pished down all day, but the Straightliners crew had cars running all day and running very well with only a few minor stoppages. And it was just good to see it all happening again. So hats off to all the crew who made it happen
The Porsche 911 and M5 were also putting in some great times.

That said, the amount of eejits clueless as to how the staging lights work, and who didn't listen one bit at the drivers briefing that the return road was to the right...then muppets decided to turn left down a dead end....is strange.
It was just great to see you all back . Its been a very long time. We cant odds the weather sadly but i think all in all, from what was a sodden wet day, everyone, racers and spectators included. Made a bl@@dy good fist of it. Great to see you Stevie, onwards and upwards.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
What a great day. Fantastic to be back racing again after 3 years, just a pity about the weather but can't really complain

Fastest for me on the day on Dragy was 11.69s which is only 0.54s off my best in the dry

I got 11 runs in total, went to pack it in after the 7th as the car was starting to bog down/jerk on launch so I parked up for an hour to go a walk and get some lunch. Next for runs were pretty perfect so I put it down to heat/over use (car hadnt had a rest for probably 5-6 hours between racing and queuing).

I will upload some video's and pics later

That said, the amount of eejits clueless as to how the staging lights work

I understood perfectly how the lights worked but had issues every start more or less - the single white light indicated that i was in position. Once the other racer was in position then the 4 white lights at the top would illuminate

I was then under the impression it was "ready to launch." so I would engage LC and majority of the time end up just sitting revving waiting on the start guy. I would come off launch, next thing its orange then green. Have to reengage LC so was a bit of a faff. I do think from orange to green was too fast if you were trying to get time to use LC.

@56oval explained though at the end that the marshal was ensuring that the track was clear and the team was ready etc... before pressing the button hence the wait. I kept looking round me to see if there was a signal from him but sure, lessons learned, will know more for next time.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Very enjoyable despite the constant rain, probably easier to get a good view as less spectators. I must be getting old as I don't understand anyone that stands for hours in pouring rain in jeans and a hoodie lol. @Boydie your car was flying. Always nice to see older stuff, but also it is shocking how fast the M5, RS6, GTR etc were, and the Porsche was just ballistic.

What is the cost of entry for racing these days?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Very enjoyable despite the constant rain, probably easier to get a good view as less spectators. I must be getting old as I don't understand anyone that stands for hours in pouring rain in jeans and a hoodie lol. @Boydie your car was flying. Always nice to see older stuff, but also it is shocking how fast the M5, RS6, GTR etc were, and the Porsche was just ballistic.

What is the cost of entry for racing these days?

That event was £120 - I got 11 runs so worked out £10.90 for 12 seconds fun ;) :joy:

The red and white RS6's are both tuned, M5 is putting out around 800bhp as well as the 911 Turbo, maybe 850bhp

56oval

RMS Regular
Here would be as good a place as any to let you guys know.

We announced over the weekend, myself and others have spent the summer putting together a programme that will ensure drag racing has a future in this country.

We are delighted that we are now a sister arm of what is the UKs leading timing company, Straightliners.

Trevor Duckworth and his team have entrusted us to take the sport forward over here.

We have a full timing system, will be properly backed and insured every time we go out to work for you. We will have all the appropriate permits from the ukta for each venue we host.

I am extremely proud and excited to announce.

Welcome to.

STRAIGHTLINERS NI.

FB_IMG_1663016320098.jpg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Here would be as good a place as any to let you guys know.

We announced over the weekend, myself and others have spent the summer putting together a programme that will ensure drag racing has a future in this country.

We are delighted that we are now a sister arm of what is the UKs leading timing company, Straightliners.

Trevor Duckworth and his team have entrusted us to take the sport forward over here.

We have a full timing system, will be properly backed and insured every time we go out to work for you. We will have all the appropriate permits from the ukta for each venue we host.

I am extremely proud and excited to announce.

Welcome to.

STRAIGHTLINERS NI.

View attachment 374893
Excellent to hear Ben! Well deserved after all of your (and the teams) hard work! Have you made any headway into seeing if Bishopscourt will ever be viable again?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Excellent to hear Ben! Well deserved after all of your (and the teams) hard work! Have you made any headway into seeing if Bishopscourt will ever be viable again?

Pencilled in for April 2023 :cool: