Irish Motoring

Which do you prefer driving?

• South

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither (other)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I was down in Galway for the Salthill air show over the weekend and clocked up 420 miles on the 306, mainly on Irish roads.

You don't know how good our roads are up here in the North until you have to travel down south. Even our crappiest country road with grass growing up the middle is smoother than the majority of their roads.

Here's some of the things I came across...

People really obide by the speed limits. Usually, there's one car driving at between 45-55 mph and a queue of about 20 cars behind it and then as soon as the car at the front sees the 40/30MPH sign, they stand on the brakes - not a gradual slow down, but rather like a paniced slowdown.

Whenever you say hello to anyone you pass when you're out walking etc - they don't even acknowledge you're there with a complimentary hello.

McDonalds costs more than up here - for two meals (usually £3.49 each up here cost EURO6.30 each which works out as nearly £10.00 for two meals).

Now the worst thing of all I came across - the Garda directing traffic. It took almost 2 hours to get out of the Salthill area because of the Garda directing traffic at EVERY set of traffic lights. Like, what is the need to direct traffic at working traffic lights? I can understand directing traffic at roundabouts etc where some lanes have more of a priority but Traffic lights aren't biased. Ejjits.

Probably other stuff too that I can't quite remember...

No offence intended to anyone Irish on here, it was just a real shock compared to motoring etc up here.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
PMSL, Bryan, u shoulda been down at Flush Bus Drag Warz in longford,2003,,,, bet u'd of had a lot more to say!!! heheheh :lol: :lol:
espically bout quality of parking / roads/ and garda helping!!!

Fecking atrocious!!! :x

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
No doubt the Garda were doing a lot more harm than good there too then...

Barry

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A/A4
I had forgotten how bad the roads in the south were 'til I headed down for the rally in Letterkenny a few weeks ago and left most of my exhaust behind. The roads are a total disgrace, especially in the middle of towns etc where you would expect them to be decent !

It really made me appreciate the roads up here.

The only thing about driving in the south I like is the fact that people pull onto the hard shoulder where possiblt to let you overtake, whic you don't get up here much.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
The only thing about driving in the south I like is the fact that people pull onto the hard shoulder where possiblt to let you overtake, whic you don't get up here much.

Now that's certainly true - that's the only good point.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Now now there are some excellent roads out there. The roads to tipperary are absolutely excellent - the new motorway to dublin is a super job. Even on down past kildare etc are good wide single lane roads. Yes there are some very poor roads in some areas, but there is a lot of development going on across the border and some very good roads are being built.

Andy

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Oh yes, forgot the traffic light system for "major roadworks" which was a couple of cones at the side of the road with no actual roadworks in sight - I wondered why the locals weren't paying any attention to the traffic lights...

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Don't forget that down south "10 miles" can mean anywhere between "You have just passed it" too "Better fill up the petrol tank just incase........"

Max

RMS Regular
Drives
Gaterpillars
MacGyver said:
Don't forget that down south "10 miles" can mean anywhere between "You have just passed it" too "Better fill up the petrol tank just incase........"

PMSL, how true, but is it now KM's to make it even more akward?

Adam

RMS Regular
I drove to Dublin once and vowed never to take a car there again.

I havent.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Adam said:

I havent.

yea i experienced a road on the skirts of dublin that i can only imagine was imported from beirut or baghdad and had suffered some serious shelling in its life.

Jmax

RMS Regular
KARLOS DA JACKLE said:
PMSL, Bryan, u shoulda been down at Flush Bus Drag Warz in longford,2003,,,, bet u'd of had a lot more to say!!! heheheh :lol: :lol:
espically bout quality of parking / roads/ and garda helping!!!

Fecking atrocious!!! :x

yea longford was a class waist of time

Jason

RMS Regular
VEN©M said:
Adam said:

I havent.

yea i experienced a road on the skirts of dublin that i can only imagine was imported from beirut or baghdad and had suffered some serious shelling in its life.
ROFL!!

i took the corsa to letterkenny a few times and that was bad enough... mite take the golf down to dublin sometime

Dermot

I Can Honestly say, Having done nearly all over Ireland a number of times, The Roads in the South and now FAR better than they used to be... I reackon in the next few years they will be better than up here...

But saying that... They just quiet aren't up to Scratch in some places, For example down the centre of Ireland to cork (Though Athlone etc...) We manged to come across and newly tarred stretch of road where we sorta flatted it till about 130MPH, Then next thing 'bang' we were on a Seriously bumpy grassy old road ...lol and theres 1 town (Cant remember the name of it) But theres Mountians in the middle of the main street. I mean anyone thats been down that will know what Im on about, a lowered car has to go up the street on the footpath ... I'd love to see a Fibreglassed car try it :laughing:
But the big towns, the roads are fantastic ... And there starting into the 'b' roads now...

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
Oh that's another thing, their "temporary road surface" is better than the proper thing...

They might be concentrating on doing the major roads first, but there isn't a road in Northern Ireland that I've been down that even compares to any of that crap I had to drive on - it felt like frigging cobbles.

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
I just remembered a sign my girlfriend pointed out, it was a children crossing one, it showed a child in a running position and a car coming flying up behind them. funny as fook!

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
oh yea mate the garda are well dead on in Galway, I'd rather any garda man than an psni man anyday, the garda arnt out to find sometihng wrong with your car or to try and do you for soemthing like the psni are

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
about the motoring too..

people are more deadon down south too, they actually pull over to let you past on the main roads not like up here

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
They just try to wreck the head gasket by causing 2 hour tail-backs when traffic lights are perfectly capable of sorting things out...

Bryan

RMS Regular
OP
Bryan
That's cos you live there... I'm rather glad the PSNI is so strict with cars when you see the state of some of the heaps the people drive down there.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.