Irish Tarmac Championship 2020

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Season opener in Galway this weekend, any RMSers going down?

Entries were slow to take off but there are now nearly 20 R5 cars and a few WRC cars on the entrylist - new 2020 Fiestas, mk1 fiesta R5’s, Polos, Hyundai’s, proton Iriz’s, DS3’s....it’s a pretty good entrylist and looks like it will be a good championship. Rumours of a few more entering too before they cross the ramp in Eyre Square too ..... Boyle supposed to be taking the Fiesta R5 out and I hear Ali Fisher will be in a Polo. Few stories of Keith Cronin putting a drive together for the season but I doubt that one. Breen to be back out in West Cork too supposedly, which adds some spice to the championship.

Fiestas seem to have been superseded on Irish tar with most top contenders moving to Hyundai and VW for the season. Makes for an interesting dynamic.

Not a great modified entry it has to be said, the modified men seem to have nearly all made the move to the National Rally Championship.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
766542E6-F8C3-4D1A-9F44-2A73971B1F64.jpeg
FC5A0B8F-0E09-4B63-A0D4-5B3DA9BB7F0A.jpeg

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
WRC days are long gone, Jennings may get an R5 organised for the next round.

Be interesting to see what the Moffett boys think of the i20 compared to the Fiesta. M-Sport will hope that more Mk2 Fiestas find homes over here.

Callum Devine will be a big miss for the series if he only does ERC rounds in his i20.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
It was posted up somewhere that Jennings took delivery of 2 x new R5 cars. Can’t find it now though

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I read they belong to Melvyn Evans Motorsport.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
It was posted up somewhere that Jennings took delivery of 2 x new R5 cars. Can’t find it now though

They are Melvin Evans cars.

One is the car Meirion will be driving, the other wasn’t hired for Galway. Meirion is trying to get testing on Friday night Saturday morning before Galway so I’m hoping to go to that.

Ali Fisher is out in the Dom Buckley Polo R5 that Marty McCormack won the ‘20 in last year. Ali has tested a 2020 fiesta, the Proton and the Polo before settling on the Polo so it must be handy enough.

Reactions: DC.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Was out working bear Draperstown yesterday and someone (maybe mcgeehan motorsport) were testing what I think was a new wrc fiesta, it sounded so good and he was flat at one stage on the limiter 👌

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Won’t have been a “new” wrc car as they aren’t allowed outside the wrc these days. Probably an R5 spec one

RCT

RMS Regular
Was out working bear Draperstown yesterday and someone (maybe mcgeehan motorsport) were testing what I think was a new wrc fiesta, it sounded so good and he was flat at one stage on the limiter 👌
Probably Joes new R5 Fiesta that he’s just got.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Wish I was there, always a good buzz for the new season.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
A comfortable win in Galway for Alastair Fisher and Gordon Noble.

WRC days are properly gone now.

FD9A17B9-D68C-43D0-AB29-4697F5A540F6.jpeg

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
OP
davecoupe
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I wouldn’t say comfortable. He had a good lead all day but those roads were treacherous. Any movement off the line was throwing you onto the muck and into a stone ditch.

Great to see him winning, it’s been a long time coming and really deserved.

Looks like the polos are the cars to have, wonder where they were doing all their Irish tarmac testing, they all looked very sorted through my lens.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI