Iron Butt Association - Lap Of Ireland: Completed

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Thought I’d share a bit about the trip myself and @Alan_B competed on Saturday...

A couple of months ago I came across a post on a group on Facebook about Iron Butt Ireland, so after a bit of reading up on it and some planning, we waited for lockdown to be lifted either side of the border so that Alan and I could set off to complete the Iron Butt Ireland ‘Lap Of Ireland’ challenge, a route that sees you go the whole way around Ireland with only 24 hours to complete from start to finish.

1A4F8A31-C129-4633-83F8-321AC7425DB0.jpeg

After a 4.15am start at Applegreen in Lisburn, we were bound for Ballycastle through a shower of thick drizzly rain that had us both contemplating all of our poor life choices that brought us to this point. Thankfully the rain cleared as we got closer to Ballycastle, which cheered us up a bit. Getting soaked before 5am, knowing that we were going to be away for so long, wouldnt have been ideal...

54E161CA-E7BD-44B9-9FD5-4FBFBF3BB989.jpeg

From there it was on to Letterkenny which was a nice run through an empty Derry and over the Foyle Bridge. The roads were clear and the weather had picked up making this an easy leg of the trip, though the want for a breakfast was growing stronger.

1595250326645.png

We left Letterkenny and aimed for Sligo hoping to get a bite to eat, but as it wasn’t even 6.30am, we weren’t holding out much hope. Having gone though Sligo we managed to spot a McDonalds sign through trees at the side of the road, so took a dive off the carriageway at the next exit followed to indulge in the best pancakes and hash browns ever cooked 😍

6F53D83B-9F81-46C6-AD4D-94B342F950D4.jpeg

Bellies full, and tanks refilled at a nearby fuel station after 140 miles, it was time for Clifden which took us along some of the most incredible roads in Ireland with spectacular scenery. As expected from a small town in western Ireland, there wasn’t much in Clifden, so we got the receipts we needed as proof of the trip and headed on.

70B42C67-BC4B-47DC-9713-7039BDE1565F.jpeg

Alan’s Tracer 900GT at 1 of the many smoke break/bladder emptying stops.

5E03D885-B239-4161-99B8-296A87497D41.jpeg

Me showing off my Arai Tour X4 helmet atop the R1200GS LC.

34FBFA72-5157-433B-8BC5-41FDF2EA702E.jpeg

Pic of the bikes outside AIB, Clifden.

From there, it was another long run down to Killarney, passing through some rather quaint little villages while trying to ensure we were making good time. At this point we were in awe at how good the road network now is along the west side of Ireland, with quite a bit of roadworks going on for continual improvements with road straightening measures in full flow. The general consensus was that the southerners are very obliging towards bikers, making room at any point to allow us past, even in the middle of towns and at traffic lights.

1595251041107.jpeg

On the road to Killarney.

After Killarney, and having covered 570 miles by this stage, we made good ground and got to Cork which caused a few issues, but we didn’t hang about for long and made for Wexford, the last place we had to stop before tackling the M50 and M1/A1 to make it back to our chosen start/finish point at Applegreen again.

1595251212361.jpeg

Filling up, yet again, in Wexford.

23B091FB-E559-4C10-BD89-9CDF3544BD34.jpeg

We made it to Applegreen again for 10.15pm after a total of 859.7 miles and around £110-120 of fuel. Trip computer showed an average of 38mpg and an average speed of **mph... 🙊

27F08687-1CE3-4EFA-BB85-371D8A385B4A.jpeg

What Google maps reckons the trip would take non-stop without breaks.

The weather held out well for us with only a few very brief showers, and the roads in the south now are fantastic which made covering the 859.7 miles relatively easy in 18 hours, which included plenty of rest stops to get a bite to eat and lots of refuelling stops (thanks to Alan’s tiny petrol tank). The 2 bikes coped well and the cruise control made a lot of the longer runs that little bit easier, but I’m still shocked at how fresh we both were getting off the bikes in Lisburn. Not an ache or a pain anywhere, and I’d have happily spent Sunday on the bike again had I not been at other things.

All in all it was a great days craic which left us with something to talk about and a taste for the other challenges which are a full 1,000 miles in 24 hours which we are looking forward to.

IBA Lap of Ireland: 10/10

I would highly recommend it to anyone to do on a bike...

Attachments

• FFB3F74D-F555-4D39-B2F4-345C1E69E87B.jpg
    FFB3F74D-F555-4D39-B2F4-345C1E69E87B.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 78
  • A1FB7AD0-CB01-4161-876B-AE208F5825C1.jpeg
    A1FB7AD0-CB01-4161-876B-AE208F5825C1.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
That's class. What happened in Cork?

Nothing serious. We went to a petrol station that didn’t give me a receipt for fuel (pre pay pump) and Alan’s receipt from inside the shop said “Douglas, Co. Cork”, as opposed to ‘Cork’, so we made our way into the city centre to get an ATM receipt and the advice slips from 2 different banks didn’t give the full address on top either, just the street name, so we had to make do with that and head on. The traffic was mental and it seems to be business as usual down there with the amount of people about, so we didn’t want to lose any time hanging about any longer.

The rules state that receipts must show the town name on them and not just the locality, so we could still end up not getting the trip officially approved by the IBA on a technicality. We’ll see what happens anyway, but at least we know ourselves that we completed the trip and had a blast doing it.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Ah fair enough. I can vouch for the roads around Clifden. I didn't want to leave when I went there a few years ago.

And I think I need to decide if my midlife crisis vehicle will be a car or a bike!

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
For Nickys midlife crisis He chose well :joy: Cool story bro... not in the condescending way we speak off here....actually(y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Fantastic ride guys, I'm genuinely jealous, although the bikes you were on certainly make it an enjoyable experience, I wouldn't fancy that on the Fireblade 😂. A go pro time lapse would have been brilliant to see.

To be honest, I took very few pics other than of the odometer and verification type shots as proof for the submission. That was a big mistake that I’ll hopefully not make again.

Between the Irish Photo Rally and these Iron Butt runs, I’ll be doing a set of tyres every couple of months... 😂

johnm

RMS Regular
Looks like brilliant craic man. Roads along the west have got so much better over the years, up and down all the time with the brother being down there.

How'd the riding go for that length of time, stiff as hell after it or pretty much alright just a bit worse for wear?

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
Looks like brilliant craic man. Roads along the west have got so much better over the years, up and down all the time with the brother being down there.

How'd the riding go for that length of time, stiff as hell after it or pretty much alright just a bit worse for wear?

There wasn’t so much as an ache or pain afterwards to be honest, and genuinely no fatigue or tiredness either which was great. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t think I could have been on a better bike for the trip. I’m sure Alan was much the same though as he had no complaints at all. I’m just glad he fitted the baffle to his Akrapovic exhaust before we left... 😂

I doubt we’d be as willing to do another run like it so soon if we had been sore afterwards...

Reactions: Ged

boringdave

RMS Regular
Drives
81 mini city
I did the same run in Feb 2016 the week I bought my mt09 tracer, Used it as the run it tbh.
We had -5c coming home from waterford and at the time I had no heated grips.

Well done though its a hard but rewarding run that you will only realize how mad it is a few weeks/months after you fin.

Nicky

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky
Drives
HiluxSurf
I did the same run in Feb 2016 the week I bought my mt09 tracer, Used it as the run it tbh.
We had -5c coming home from waterford and at the time I had no heated grips.

Well done though its a hard but rewarding run that you will only realize how mad it is a few weeks/months after you fin.

Going to aim to do twice the mileage in a few days in Scotland this weekend, all being well.