Is a Versys 650 powerful enough to carry 110kg rider and sometimes pillion?

stiof

RMS Member
Drives
2002 E46
I currently driving a 1998 Suzuki GSXF750 very infrequently. It's going for trade in shortly and I have been considering the following as it's replacement, all new; Tuono 660 Factory, MT09SP, Ninja 650, and then a Street Triple RS. I'm nearly sixty, six foot three, and nearly seventeen anda half stone. I'm not sure I should be on any of these. I prefer to drive and really only use the bike for getting through traffic and carrying a passenger. A Versys 650 was suggested but I can't find one to try out. Any comments on any of the bikes I mentioned? BTW have very narrow side entrance, about 75cm to about 80 in places and think i need narrow bars. Was thinking of removing ends from handlebars on whatever I eventually get. Am I bonkers?

Lee

RMS Regular
Why not look at bigger engined bikes? With your height, most bigger cc bikes will be a better fit for you physically anyway. I think most of those will be a bit gutless with a pillion.

I used to take my girlfriend out on the back of my street triple 675 and it pushed on ok if you used all the rpms, but I'm only around 80kg and she would be less.

Then again, if you only want to cruise about, don't need loads of power.

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
A lot of the bigger engined bikes are physically bigger, and significantly more expensive. I need to get my bike around the side entrance into the back garden to keep it safe from theft. Had the house externally insulated recently. If it had been done properly with 100mm that would have been one thing, however contractors put 150mm on. What was a relatively narrow side passage is now 6 inches narrower and current bike just about makes it. I got that sports tourer in the first place because I envisaged doing some sporty touring. Didn't work out that way and now I'm twenty years older. So I'll really only be using the new one for commuting. And not over any great distance, maybe twenty miles at a time.

Hillbill7

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 225
I had an older speed triple 955i and did tour all over Scotland but with only myself and very little in the way of luggage. It’s by far the best bike I’ve owned but like Lee I’m only 10stone and in my early 30s and never rode two up on that bike. But it was super comfy and so easy to ride.

As for the Versys, I’ve had a go on a 650 from Hurst and it was a comfy bike much more up right. But I found it seemed to be a bit lacking in performance so with the luggage and two up personally I’d say it would really struggle. There is the 1000cc version but maybe as you’ve said it may cost to much but size size it’s very similar to the 650.

I had a neighbour that had a Tuono its meant to be a bit of a hooligan or maybe that was the guy that rode it. They seem keep to lift the front wheel if given the option.

My brother in laws uncle has an MT09 from new and loves it and tours constantly but again solo

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
MT09 SP is a funking hoot to ride in a spirited/aggressive manner. I was for buying a new 1 last year after taking 1 out from Hursts for the morning. When compared back to back with the MT07, it really shon a light on how underpowered and generally crap the smaller CC bikes are, so I imagine a 650 Versys wouldn’t be up to much. I’m about 90/92kg and 6ft 1, and the MT09 didn’t have much in the way of room on it for me, though I was too busy laughing and holding on to care.

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
I had an older speed triple 955i and did tour all over Scotland but with only myself and very little in the way of luggage. It’s by far the best bike I’ve owned but like Lee I’m only 10stone and in my early 30s and never rode two up on that bike. But it was super comfy and so easy to ride.

As for the Versys, I’ve had a go on a 650 from Hurst and it was a comfy bike much more up right. But I found it seemed to be a bit lacking in performance so with the luggage and two up personally I’d say it would really struggle. There is the 1000cc version but maybe as you’ve said it may cost to much but size size it’s very similar to the 650.

I had a neighbour that had a Tuono its meant to be a bit of a hooligan or maybe that was the guy that rode it. They seem keep to lift the front wheel if given the option.

My brother in laws uncle has an MT09 from new and loves it and tours constantly but again solo
Your words are helpful and much appreciated. Ta.

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
MT09 SP is a funking hoot to ride in a spirited/aggressive manner. I was for buying a new 1 last year after taking 1 out from Hursts for the morning. When compared back to back with the MT07, it really shon a light on how underpowered and generally crap the smaller CC bikes are, so I imagine a 650 Versys wouldn’t be up to much. I’m about 90/92kg and 6ft 1, and the MT09 didn’t have much in the way of room on it for me, though I was too busy laughing and holding on to care.
I'm hearing what you're saying. At my age I forget my age and think I'm much younger and more invincible than i actually am. A good friend of mine, who is a bit of a hooligan on his own bike was very surprised at the machines I was looking at and tried to discourage me from them for my own and my children's safety. Whatever I get will be the last one I buy so it'll see me into my retirement. I'll keep an open mind and value your comments.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
MT09 would my first choice, but no idea what width the bars are. You could try removing the bar ends, especially if they are very long, but remember they do have a function; without them the bars could be very vibey and you get numb hands.
For the size you are, I know the street triple would feel very small. Don't know about the others.
For the Versys 650 it depends on your riding style. If just bimbling about it would be fine, but overtaking on a A roads would be more like driving a car. For riding 2-up, it's not just the power but the suspension esp rear shock that's important.
Another one worth a look would be the new Tiger 900 GT. Haven't ridden one but I guess they compare to the old Tigersport 1050 I used to have, so I'm biased. Plus, like the MT09, they are a triple; brilliant engine for an all round road bike.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I had an ER6N as my first bike, which I presume is the same engine as the Versys 650. I'm big enough (15st at the time I'd say) and it was powerful enough to get about, easily overtake, wheelie, etc. If you're used to superbikes then I could understand why it would feel slow in comparison, but in reality if it's going to be used to commute and cruise about 2-up (when you're presumably not be trying to set lap records) then I wouldn't think it's under-powered.

A lot of the other bikes mentioned would no doubt be more fun as a toy, and if this is the last bike you think you'll buy then maybe you'd regret not getting something you can also have fun on. As a pure commuter tool though I wouldn't write it off without trying one.

For reference though, the likes of a Street Triple RS is definitely a full level above in terms of power

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
I currently driving a 1998 Suzuki GSXF750 very infrequently. It's going for trade in shortly and I have been considering the following as it's replacement, all new; Tuono 660 Factory, MT09SP, Ninja 650, and then a Street Triple RS. I'm nearly sixty, six foot three, and nearly seventeen anda half stone. I'm not sure I should be on any of these. I prefer to drive and really only use the bike for getting through traffic and carrying a passenger. A Versys 650 was suggested but I can't find one to try out. Any comments on any of the bikes I mentioned? BTW have very narrow side entrance, about 75cm to about 80 in places and think i need narrow bars. Was thinking of removing ends from handlebars on whatever I eventually get. Am I bonkers?

Its hard to know what your expecting from the bike, but I would imagine it would be fine for commuting. I'm in a similar position being 6ft5 and 110kg, but I still mould myself on to a Honda 600rr. The wife has a RC 390 and even it was good fun given my mass :joy: . I imagine the Versys 650 would be up to the task, but worth finding one to swing the leg over first.

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
MT09 would my first choice, but no idea what width the bars are. You could try removing the bar ends, especially if they are very long, but remember they do have a function; without them the bars could be very vibey and you get numb hands.
For the size you are, I know the street triple would feel very small. Don't know about the others.
For the Versys 650 it depends on your riding style. If just bimbling about it would be fine, but overtaking on a A roads would be more like driving a car. For riding 2-up, it's not just the power but the suspension esp rear shock that's important.
Another one worth a look would be the new Tiger 900 GT. Haven't ridden one but I guess they compare to the old Tigersport 1050 I used to have, so I'm biased. Plus, like the MT09, they are a triple; brilliant engine for an all round road bike.
Yes. Bumbling about fairly much describes my driving style. Had looked at a tiger but discounted it because it was too wide. But that was before I thought of taking the bar ends off. Will look at it again. Ta

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Another vote for the MT09. Great bike, very fresh looking and more than capable of carrying 2 people with luggage. I cleaned the mates one a few month ago and was impressed how capable of a bike it was,

20220510_210915.jpg

Reactions: Lee

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
Another vote for the MT09. Great bike, very fresh looking and more than capable of carrying 2 people with luggage. I cleaned the mates one a few month ago and was impressed how capable of a bike it was,

View attachment 385971
That's really nice. I was ready to buy a brand new SP just before Christmas, but thought putting a carrier on the back might be tantamount to putting a tow bar on a Lamborghini. That's made me reconsider.

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
Its hard to know what your expecting from the bike, but I would imagine it would be fine for commuting. I'm in a similar position being 6ft5 and 110kg, but I still mould myself on to a Honda 600rr. The wife has a RC 390 and even it was good fun given my mass :joy: . I imagine the Versys 650 would be up to the task, but worth finding one to swing the leg over first.
You're right. I'm absolutely not sure what I want. I do fancy something a little flash and nippy but big enough to be comfortable and be able to haul me and a pillion. I've ridden a GSXF750 for twenty years now, and nothing else, so I don't really know what I'm missing. I had a go on my mates CBR650R a couple of weeks ago. Only fifteen minutes on it and I realised what a slug my own one is. But it didn't seem to bother me before...

cupraricky

RMS Regular
How often do you think you'll have a passenger?

Had an sv650s, was great for all I needed at the time. Although having then upgraded to larger cc, you certainly had much more faith in overtakes when 2 up with luggage. Had a tiger 1050, and all round was probably the best bike I ever had for comfort, pace, and surprisingly manoeuvrable. Had an mt09, and it was also a great bike, I'm slightly shorter than you by couple of inches and on long runs I could definitely feel the difference from the tiger. Also pillion found the mt09 very squashed sitting (bent legs) and my pillion certainly ain't tall lol.

If you were doing 2 up regular personally I'd go larger cc than 650, but a versys is a comfortable place to be. Maybe go larger cc versys.

Unfortunately I've no idea on bar widths as I didn't have to take that into consideration

stiof

RMS Member
OP
S
Drives
2002 E46
How often do you think you'll have a passenger?

Had an sv650s, was great for all I needed at the time. Although having then upgraded to larger cc, you certainly had much more faith in overtakes when 2 up with luggage. Had a tiger 1050, and all round was probably the best bike I ever had for comfort, pace, and surprisingly manoeuvrable. Had an mt09, and it was also a great bike, I'm slightly shorter than you by couple of inches and on long runs I could definitely feel the difference from the tiger. Also pillion found the mt09 very squashed sitting (bent legs) and my pillion certainly ain't tall lol.

If you were doing 2 up regular personally I'd go larger cc than 650, but a versys is a comfortable place to be. Maybe go larger cc versys.

Unfortunately I've no idea on bar widths as I didn't have to take that into consideration
Maybe my daughter on the back once or twice during the week. Once every weekend or two. Not very often really but I have to factor her in. I've a couple of younger ones and they might fancy being on the back when they're older.
I've been poring over the replies and comments and am gravitating back towards the Versys. The 1000cc is a bit out of my price range for that particular type of bike so looking like the 650. Possibly..!