Is NI Ready for EV? With Mark McCall from EV Association NI

•   
See the blog feature on this - In this in-car episode of the Sold as Seen Podcast, we take to Northern Ireland's roads in a Tesla Model 3, and chat to Mark McCall from the EV Association NI about the real world challenges of EV ownership in the province, the state of charging infrastructure here.

We also attempt to dispel myths about EV ownership. It can be done. Finally, at the last minute we also added in the audio from our YouTube review of the Model 3 itself.

Spotify:

Apple Podcasts:

Google Podcasts: Sold as Seen

Acast:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHr4bAnIpvMJqu9qo-A65PQ

RSS Feed: https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/sold-as-seen

If you want to find out more about the EV Association NI see https://evani.

Read the Entire Article Here

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Halfway through listening now and you both are coming across really well.

A very interesting podcast

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Nerding out in EV land. Back to reality in the next show!

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
Got caught up with the last few episodes today while I was out touring the province doing maintenance on EV Chargers on some government sites.... and surprise surprise the majority of them are in fault!!

A roll out is coming to have them all replaced though, no sign of any DC chargers..... I'm assuming due to the expense/premium they hold is the main reason.

Was an interesting listen though and over the last 2 months we have seen a massive uptake/queries in to EV charging.... We've priced for some interesting sites, will update as the orders come in as some companies have spec'd for DC charges for pay as you go.

If anyone on the site needs any advice on chargers or chargers installed give me a shout and ill see what discount I can pass on

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Great pods gents. Listened to the two most recent yesterday and today whilst driving my Standard Range Plus. The indicator in the background had me looking down at the screen a good few times 😂

Is there an up to date list for all events coming up? Trackdays, racedays, cars & coffee, shows, etc. Had a look but only seems to be one on it for 2022 (Chrome on Android).

Cheers and keep up the good work. Looking forward hearing the guests you mentioned coming up!

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Great pods gents. Listened to the two most recent yesterday and today whilst driving my Standard Range Plus. The indicator in the background had me looking down at the screen a good few times 😂

Is there an up to date list for all events coming up? Trackdays, racedays, cars & coffee, shows, etc. Had a look but only seems to be one on it for 2022 (Chrome on Android).

Cheers and keep up the good work. Looking forward hearing the guests you mentioned coming up!
😂 sorry about that I just lifted the audio from our vid from driving around.

The events section will be getting an overhaul shortly and I’ll get as many events up as I know about!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I was chatting to a chap recently involved in the building of a new fuel station with associated mini-supermarket, and when i asked if they were planning to put in any sort of decent EV charging, with a suitable fee to use, the reply was worrying. NIE have been struggling to get enough juice to the site to run their freezers and pumps and everything else, never mind decent EV charging.

I assume huge investment in an electric sub-station or would be required or such likes, and maybe explains why a brand-new station that opened beside me last year has zero EV infra built-in, despite the fact that I live in a seaside town that gets a fair bit of traffic during caravan season.

With the sporadic nature of my work, i know for sure that i will be in an ICE vehicle for a very long time. And until prices of new EV's sort themselves out, there isn't a hope in hell our 2nd car could be an EV any time soon.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I think a lot of people will be in a similar situation tbh.

Crxpete

RMS Regular
Drives
R55 MCS, SQ5
I was chatting to a chap recently involved in the building of a new fuel station with associated mini-supermarket, and when i asked if they were planning to put in any sort of decent EV charging, with a suitable fee to use, the reply was worrying. NIE have been struggling to get enough juice to the site to run their freezers and pumps and everything else, never mind decent EV charging.

I assume huge investment in an electric sub-station or would be required or such likes, and maybe explains why a brand-new station that opened beside me last year has zero EV infra built-in, despite the fact that I live in a seaside town that gets a fair bit of traffic during caravan season.

With the sporadic nature of my work, i know for sure that i will be in an ICE vehicle for a very long time. And until prices of new EV's sort themselves out, there isn't a hope in hell our 2nd car could be an EV any time soon.

Yes NIE is a stumbling block for many and the restrictions they are putting in is laughable.

We are currently working with a few companies looking at EV charging stations with BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) backed up with solar….. the numbers to do this are big but it’s only a matter of time before someone pulls the trigger

will1588

RMS Regular
Drives
Merc Est 1.8
I'll stick my opinions in .... the Professional Motor Trade don't want them, they cannot stand over 2/3/4 year old batteries, no one with any savvy would tie their own money up in a direct purchase, the managers who are using company cars are cajouled into getting them as theres a better deal on benefit in kind, but ask anyone of these sharp guys would they stick their own hard earned into one and be scorned at trade in time.

The accident repair guys have issues working at them having to source experienced teks from the marque dealer to isolate or discharge dependant on damage area location before they lay a spanner near the vehicle, all insurance to do with working at them owning them can be 100% or more than normal car business / trade insurance.

The LONDON FIRE SERVICE have advised house of Westminster, Commons etc not to allow E bikes anywhere near their car parks, If there's ever an serious fire issue with EV's and hi rise car parks God alone knows what any city will do. the folks that want them cannot afford them, they will like the ''lower / no derv or gas price of running one BUT do they wish to chance a used ones battery..

Those idiots in Westminster/ Stormont waxing lyrical about something else they really know nought about proposing to ban derv and petrol car manufacture by the end of this decade are living in a world they know F all about in realistic terms, how will farmers or builders work with vehicles that are not allowed to tow, because they cannot even do a days work on a full charge...with nothing in the back...!!!
I as an older cyclist started on E power in '17 on a self built race / tour bicycle and have had quite a few since, E kept me cycling when i couldn't walk far and after 2 titanium hip rebuilds and had me back quicker afterwards not as strong but painfree so i do have a fair idea about battery power, temp, weather, wind other instruments used, heater, lights while driving or cycling can draw the PROMISED''useful range'' back to worry levels, will i run out, where the hell will i get charged between Portush and Belfast on the coast road, WILL I HAVE TO WAIT.. YES YOU WILL For a very foreseeable future the old fast run down the A26 with half a tank left will still be what many will likely use for a long time to come..