IS200 intermittent starting issues, suddenly no spark?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

corsacj

RMS Regular
Many words ahead...

I'm in the unfortunate position where I'm selling my IS200 in Belfast, but I'm living in Oxfordshire now. I figured it made better sense selling in the mint bai IS200 NI market, rather than taking it over here with my other wares. It means my Da is having to handle the viewings and it's just generally a hassle now. But Now the damn thing has started to not want to start, for the first time ever.

Initially, we had thought it was an issue with battery voltage, as after charging the (new) battery overnight, it started first turn after first presenting the issue. Fast forward a week and it starts first turn, my da then trickle charges the battery overnight to make sure it's brimmed. Next day, non-starter, will turn over forever...

Oil/Filters/plugs/timingbelt/waterpump/aux belts etc. recently replaced, had spent many hours minting the engine bay when stored in the garage over winter along with some bodywork, but it was outside for a little while and I wonder have the elements took their toll, as they did undo some of my work, undertray wasn't fitted. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't disturbed any sensors bar cleaning contacts and reassembling and generally being anal about it. All earths etc fine. Hasn't been driven much recently but started often, normally first turn.

Plugs out, cyl. 1 more carbon than others but nothing else to report (new iridium NGKs, can't remember specs), but then my da checked for spark by earthing each coil with plug to the body and got no spark on anything but a weak, red-ish spark on cyl 4. (I'm not there to investigate, difficult by proxy!)

Previous to this, I have had some coilpack issues due to it having aftermarket **** ones when purchased, so had made a good set out of many (and have many spares thanks to Kieth Spiers, not sure if he's on here). Coilpack issues were always confirmed with OBD scanner and easily enough sorted. Also had injector issues on cyl. 5 and cyl. 4 previously, about 2 years ago and then recently upon a 50-mile drive from where the car was stored (South Armagh) to Belfast on which EML and codes indicated the fault with #4 injector with the occasional chug when giving it the beans, so swapped that out with a working spare. Car was heated and well tested, as I want to ensure I'm selling the car in great condition, but now, no starty starty.

Anyone had ignition issues with an IS200? I've never had anything like it from the car and it was my daily for about 2.5 years, well tested but with mechanical sympathy, but now I am not there to diagnose, and my da knows cars but in a carburetted sense lol, so it will be to a local autospark unless I can think further!

He can't get the OBD2 reader to work as well which is completely new (I used to diagnose said faulty coils on the move no bother), don't know if that's a generational issue or electrical... no EML on either.

Previous it was idling slightly high but I had recently cleaned the throttle body so had expected it with the dopeyness of the fly-by-guesswork throttle on the 1gfe and so on, but was running great. The car has been used in anger but under load and not in circles and always maintained.

Maybe it's a question more fit for the JON44w crew but I just could never make that work lol.

Much love.

Last edited:

colin84

RMS Regular
Will it only not start after sitting overnight? Once you get it started will it start ok again after that?

Does it misfire when it's running?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If there is no spark...are someone hasnt disturbed any wiring they were "minting" it up ? There is no reason a car sitting outside should cause any harm...cars sit outside all the time.

But the fact you say you were tampering with wiring, changing parts, "cleaning contacts".....would suggest those are the areas to investigate.

Test for a signal from ecu to coils.

Ensure there are no silly immobilisers.

Are the injectors firing fuel into the engine ?

Are you getting an rpm reading ?

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Also if it has lay up for a bit make sure a mouse hasnt chewed any wiring. This happened me twice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.