It's a Volvo thing

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Couldn't find a Volvo appreciation thread, lol - this might be the shortest thread in history 😅

Anyway, starting off on a high:

p1800cyan_11.jpg

P1800 recreation made by the Volvo race team Cyan (formerly Polestar race team). Best thing is you can actually buy one - price on request. If you have to ask 😁😅

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I have a real soft spot for Volvo's but I'm not 100% sure I like that tbh, wheels are too big, too many body alterations to be honest to the original imo. I know they are making it to show what they can do rather than sell a car but it's a bit too extreme for me. To me, the Alfaholics GTA-R keeps the original principal of the 60's/70's Gulia 105 and adds new technology to it to make it better but the fundamental layout of the engine and suspension are the same as the original.

To me a cool Volvo would be an original 240 Turbo tuned with modern technology but keeping the original body shape etc.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I would love an Amazon to daily!

I must say, they are a marmite car, I love my 740, people joke and say I'll be buried in it but how many other 30+yo cars still in original paint with original running gear exist.

Furthermore I have no hesitation hooking a trailer or caravan onto it and putting it to work.
20200419_200333_resized.jpg
20200419_200407.jpg
20200814_181504_resized.jpg
20200815_093726_resized.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Lovely, and doing exactly what it was meant to do :innocent:

I know cars on the continent with 300-400k on them and still pretty much original, used every day all year.

Amazon is definitely on the bucket list 😎 Possibly the only 50+ year old car you could go on a trip around Europe or even daily without any bother at all!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Volvo makes some real nice cars but I don’t think they make one I’d like to buy at the moment. Maybe in the future.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
@Überdub @cauld1

Now we are talking 😎

That's what all the cool kids rolled around in when I grew up, lol, And they still do over in Scandinavia.

That, and cut back Duett "A-tractors" for before getting a driving license :innocent:

Like this :innocent:

View attachment 293885

Hah, they were everywhere when I was at uni in Karlskrona! I also recall similar things made out of 740s too I think. Much cooler than having a scooter at 16!

Found another cool pv:
e772b5d984e852fbbff077bf960bb840.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's the Duett 🧐🤓 Basically panel van version of the PV, but also came as a "normal" estate. The original fifties people carrier 😄

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Growing up an accountant had one of these in the street and thought it was the coolest car ever. 480 turbo

Plus the fact when you lifted the door handle the door lock lit up green at night to let you see where you put the key in to unlock....and something I done many a night on his car lol

View attachment 293694

An old boss in work years ago had a 440 Turbo in Gold. It made having to listen to the p***k a bit more bearable on a long run if he was giving it the beans.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Was out in Banbury on Sunday to have a go in a Polestar 2. See write-up over here:

Got a picture with Vera the sensible Volvo next to the P2 (the one with the "performance pack" here) 😎

P1100834.JPG

P1100843.JPG

Funny story about that, lol.

Finished the test drive etc., then asked the guy showing me the car if I could back up my own for a picture next to the P2. "Sure, no problem, work away".

So I did. And then a wee girl comes up and the conversation went something like this:

"Why are you taking pictures?" "What are they for" etc.
"A Polestar next to a Polestar"
"It's a Volvo!"
"A Volvo Polestar"
"It's a Volvo!"
"So is yours, it's an XC40"

At which point I was basically asked to leave 😅😅😅